Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the group!! I have a 10 week old standard red. Also have a 2 yr old Portuguese Water Dog. My poodle is so mellow! I love it because he just chills but wondering if any of you all had similar experiences? He plays pretty hard with my Portie and he’s happy healthy eating a lot and growing. Just super mellow. Not what I’ve experienced with my Portie when he was 10-12 weeks old. I don’t think I’m worried about it but just seems odd that he’s such a cuddly mellow dog. We’ve had him home for about 3 weeks now and he’s well adjusted to home. Sleeps through the night and is pretty much potty trained at this point. I guess not looking for anything in particular just curious if anyone had a mellow puppy that grew into a bit more playful adolescent??

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Count yourself lucky! Unless of course you wanted a really active dog:) Have you tried separating the two dogs and playing with him yourself?

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Sounds good to me!

At that age they can easily sleep 20 hours a day, and Peggy was also pretty much instantly potty-trained. They're so smart. Maybe your boy is just following his big brother's lead. :)

I don't actually think Peggy's personality really started emerging until she was about 6 months old. Now, as we navigate our way through adolescence, she surprises me every day....for better or worse. Lol.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Not my experience, I think you are lucky! My boy was super jumpy and mouthy. He'd run and leap and those shark teeth use to always end up caught on my arm, though not intentionally. LOL

·
Registered
737 Posts
Normie has always been calm, sweet and cuddly. He's 7+ months now and has discovered the joys of those long poodle legs. He's a whirlwind ready to climb anything taller than he is and balance precariously just to prove he's part ballet dancer.

Like humans, their behaviors change with age.

·
Premium Member
23,156 Posts
Javelin was a pretty mellow, easy puppy. As Peggy said though he emerged as a pretty forward high energy dog during his adolescence. That was just fine to me since I wanted a good performance dog...now if the virus situation will just let us get to some trials.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Mellow... not exactly how I’d describe Gracie! Smart, sweet, easily trained, confident, outgoing......all of that, but definitely NOT mellow! She is a miniature and is 17 months now.

She does have a nice off switch, but she is the most active dog I’ve owned. I bought her to compete in agility, and she just loves to train, so it works.

But when I sit down to relax on the couch, she grabs her ball and a game of fetch is in order first! Because I’m kind of nerdy, I’ve been counting how many throws before she decides she just wants to sit on my lap, and it’s around 10- 15. Not too bad, and then she snuggles in. Of course I could train her to leave me alone, but I think her fetching games are kind of cool, and I do know the young craziness will pass all too quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts