Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For tonight's draw the pot just broke a billion dollars about half an hour ago (roughly when BF was at our local gas station mini mart buying tickets). When he got back we had one of those fantasy conversations about what we would do if we won big.

Him: set up a trust for his daughter, pay off bills, buy a good building for his fencing instructor to run a fencing school on his behalf and where he could take free lessons, retire

Me: pay off my mortgage, do some home renovations, buy a totally loaded out new Volvo XC90, retire but still teach one adjunct class fall and spring, get a building for my own dog related business (training, grooming, good day care, boarding all in one)

What would you do?

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Haha, DH just came back from buying lottery tickets - of course he never buys a "winning ticket". In fact we have discussed many times that his odds are better winning when less people have bought tickets - not more.

I also laughed that you would buy your own building for a dog related business. I would love to have the money to build a dog training facility closer to home.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Does that mean that one single person could win 1 billion dollars ? If so that is crazy ! They should have many smaller pots instead, make more winners.

The biggest I’ve seen here is about 50 millions, which is more than anyone can spend in a lifetime, if living reasonably in luxury.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Ok with that amount of money even after taxes which would be about 1/2, New big house, nanny for my girls, new car, a fat farm for as long as needed, and total body makeover, a driver, maids, personal groomer, more poodles, open a doggy fashions shop,. were I did not have to order online and entertain my friends as long as they were not after me for my money. Oh how I love to dream

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
A billion dollars as a lottery prize is mind boggling. That’s your own foundation money, change the world money, college building, heck any building naming rights, a sports team franchise, yada yada with enough left over for your dream life. That is oligarch, tech, crazy rich Asian, Kylie Lip Gloss, Trump Cabinet money. Ruins the mere million dollar lotteries!

·
Super Moderator
3,151 Posts
I'd become a philanthropist but have other people manage or partner with them.

For a billion dollars, I could send a lot of the brightest poor kids to good four year collages. Ideally I'd partner with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation since they already have the groundwork laid out, and I doubt that they'd turn down my donation.

$200,000 scholarship for a 4 year college
x 5 bright kids
$1,000,000

x 50 bright kids, chosing one from each state:
$50,000,000

I'd still have $950,000,000 left.

I could partner with existing mental health clinics and drug rehabs and something for the elderly that already exists. These along with vocational programs for the 17 to 25 year olds who are not inclined to go to college but have an interest in computer and car repairs, plumbing, clothes designing, etc. This would probably be harder and more time consuming setting them up due to licensing and collaboration with Boards of Education and Social Services in each state.

I mention partnering b/c to start fresh on any BIG endeavor requires skills and connections I don't have, and navigating thru it would be too much work, time, red tape, paperwork, and local politics to contend with.

There a many sad stories of big lottery winners where their lives became horrible afterwards. I wouldn't want to see that happen to my kids.

They are young adults. I'd get them each a house and car, and have trust fund to receive a small amount of money per year; not quite enough to sit back and get too comfortable. The reason is I think giving youth too much makes them complacent and they don't become all they can be, so they'd have to continue working on their careers.

My daughter is planning to go to grad school for a MBA, so she wouldn't get her millions until she finished and has a business plan. My son would love to open a restaurant so I'd pay to have those who are knowledgeable to help him set that up.

One of my relatives is very involved with his church and might want his own. He already does a lot for the community. He could do even more with a donation to start one with programs for the needy or to partner with his current one. And so on with my other relatives in my small family.

I'd help others too in a myriad of ways whom I thought they could in some way, give back to society. My school could use some new equipment for the kids. They'd have it.

And me? I'm getting up there in age and don't need much to be content. I downsized to an apartment several years ago, but with a small house and nice yard, I could garden again which I miss and pay others to do the harder yard work (one reason I tired of home ownership) and repairs. I'd find one near my brother who lives walking distance to the Bay, so we can spend more time of what time we have left.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I would keep 10 million for me and my family so everyone could retire comfortably. Okay, maybe 20 million. I would continue to live simply like I do now, but I'd never have to worry about the future. I'd donate the rest of the money to charity.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I'd put some away for our future, make sure our respective families will have a roof over their heads, travel-taking the boys as much as we could, build a smallish house at waters edge somewhere, get a newer car, create a senior dog retirement home and hope to partner with a human retirement home so they could spend days and nights together, lots of anonymous gifting on a big and small level for those with the wolf at the door. I'd love to give comfort and hope to those who need that break to get back on their feet.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
$5m would ensure a home and a basic income for all the members of my family. I would try to avoid the temptation to buy a fabulous house for myself - the sort with grounds and umpteen rooms filled with glorious antiques that requires staff and would quickly become a source of anxiety rather than pleasure. Instead I think I would put another $5m into a family trust, and the rest into a charitable trust focussed on building community enterprises and cohesion in deprived areas. I have a feeling it is going to be needed in the coming years...

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Ok with that amount of money even after taxes which would be about 1/2, New big house, nanny for my girls, new car, a fat farm for as long as needed, and total body makeover, a driver, maids, personal groomer, more poodles, open a doggy fashions shop,. were I did not have to order online and entertain my friends as long as they were not after me for my money. Oh how I love to dream
No taxes on lottery money in Canada. But prizes are smaller.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I can't believe that there wasn't at least one winner given how big the ticket pool must have been. Yes one would give up about half to taxes up front if opting to take the lump sum.

And yes certainly after the relatively modest things I would do for myself I would start a foundation and/or add endowment to charities I care deeply for.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I would first set my daughters up with a trust so I would never have to worry that they would have a roof over their head. I'd give some to each of my gneiss and nephew so they cold live more comfortable. I would donate to the State for better school buildings in less fortunate areas with state of the art educational material. And I would donate a good portion to NAMI who is always there to help those suffering from mental illness. And if there were still some $ left I would buy some homes where those with low income could live comfortable and only have to worry about their every day expenses but would always have a roof over their head. Its only too bad I never ever win.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Many years ago the UK lottery launched, with lots of publicity about much of the profit going to benefit good causes, etc, etc. I remember standing with a pound coin in my hand debating whether to buy a ticket, then I decided to cut out the middle man and dropped the coin into a Christmas collection for the homeless instead.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
We won...........a whooping 2$. DH will use it when he buys the next set of tickets.

Reactions: JenandSage

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
At work, we were talking about this, and in general, philanthropy won the day :).

Cash value for 1B was around 500 millionish; after taxes, a lot less.

Starting from there, I'd contact a great lawyer and get a trust set up, pay off all kinds of bills, buy a car, buy my RV (specially set up with a groom room), and set out on the road. Along the way, I'd get my Tpoo puppy. Also lovely to bring along the loo, y'know?

I like to think I'd go to one of two or three really great grooming schools. Of course, help family. It would be so fun to randomly and secretly help people needing an assist. I'd also love sending a message to a certain foundation asking if I could participate in a small way. And during travels, I'd hope to find a small house that ticked all the boxes to base out of, somewhere in these United States.

Also, I'd love to take Oliver to the UK and Europe via the Queen Mary 2. Seems the pets have a grand adventure, too :).

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those in Mega Millions states have another shot at a record jackpot tonight. The pot is 1.6 billion for this draw.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well congratulations to the lucky winner from South Carolina!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts