Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to meet my little boy on Monday (October 22nd)! He's such a cutie and a very good listener, the relax game is probably his favorite. All he has to do is lay down on his back and stay still while I touch his paws, tail, ears, etc. He doesn't bite when I open his mouth either so that's great. ?

He's obviously still a squirmy little puppy and would much rather nap than go for a walk, but that's alright. Baker is also extremely curious (he's trying to see what's behind my dad's chair in one picture) yet knows his boundaries. He didn't bother the cats in the office and when one puppy barked at him to stay away he knew better and never went back to it.

When he's tired, he gets really tired! The second to last picture is me trying to get his harness off. Poor Baker was like a stuffed animal when I had to scoop him up and put him back with his siblings.

I'm happy I got to experience his puppy stage for even just a few hours before I have to wait for his training to be over. His official training started on that Friday and when he's finished I'm going to do a five day training session with him to learn what they've been doing so we can continue at home.

P.S. I would have liked to post this sooner but I've gotten a few migraines in between that time and school has been pretty busy. I also want sure if I could post pictures of myself and Baker together, so some pictures are missing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
If you took the pictures and you don't mind posting pics with yourself in them then I don't see why you couldn't do so. That aside I am happy you got to meet Baker in person and see you had a nice bonding time with him. He is super cute (but they need to really start working on grooming him big time, the longer it waits the harder it will be for him to accept it). I hope his training goes well.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
How great that you got to spend some time with Baker, he sure is cute! Who is the breeder? I'm curious about the 'training' you mention.........is there a website to read about them?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
He is a real cutie.

I'm curious about what training you're getting too?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I believe it is service dog training with an agency along the lines of Canine Companions for Independence or Guide Dog Foundation or something similar.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I am super happy for you! and so glad you got to spend some time with "Baker". I hope his training continues to go well. How long does it take before you can bring him home. I am also curious as to whether this is a particular "breeder" you are using or if it is thru an organization. I'd love to hear more on the training too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How great that you got to spend some time with Baker, he sure is cute! Who is the breeder? I'm curious about the 'training' you mention.........is there a website to read about them?
He's going through basic training right now at Pawsibilities Unleashed in Kentucky. They often assist with training service and therapy dogs in state, but since I'm out of state we worked out that his basics (like manners, potty training, socializing, and getting used to grooming and the vet) will be done over there. They also don't breed their own dogs, so Baker conveniently came from a litter of someone the owner knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am super happy for you! and so glad you got to spend some time with "Baker". I hope his training continues to go well. How long does it take before you can bring him home. I am also curious as to whether this is a particular "breeder" you are using or if it is thru an organization. I'd love to hear more on the training too.
Hello and thank you! Baker technically (kind of?) came through the organization because they have gotten a litter from his breeder before, but they also train dogs that people already own including local rescues. I had anticipated that he would be coming home by around December or January, but since he just started his official training on the 26th she didn't want to make any solid guarantees since some dogs learn quicker or slower than others. Baker has been learning very quickly though, he almost immediately learned how to get up and down the sidewalk when I took him for a walk (although he was initially scared when going down) and comes whenever I call him even with his siblings around. He also ignored a bunch of scattered orange peels, although he had a hard time resisting fallen leaves. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you took the pictures and you don't mind posting pics with yourself in them then I don't see why you couldn't do so. That aside I am happy you got to meet Baker in person and see you had a nice bonding time with him. He is super cute (but they need to really start working on grooming him big time, the longer it waits the harder it will be for him to accept it). I hope his training goes well.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't remember seeing any pictures with owners on here so I wanted to be sure it was okay.

I asked about grooming because I saw one puppy with a much shorter clip and I was told that getting used to grooming is part of the training. I don't think I was very clear with my question because I got nervous, but I will ask again through email to see around when that will be happening.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I sure hate to throw water on your joy but after looking at the site and researching their backround via buyer reviews, the are not well rated......My first concern was that the puppy you are holding is dirty, has heavy urine staining and is unkempt looking (and has an uncropped tail) and then as I read further I become aware that they never mention health testing on the sires or dams of dogs 'donated' so how do you know your puppy is free of genetic defects that may show up in the future? Is it a doodle? They use dogs 'donated' from anyone and even if the the dog is tempermentally unsuited to service work they will sell it as a pet for big $$$ saying you can use the fee paid as a tax deduction..... Health is my biggest concern here especially for a service dog who should be structurally/physically / mentally sound..........Will a at least a 2 year health guarantee against genetic defects come with the puppy? This is JMO and a little red flag that seems to be hoisted in my brain....................Good Luck! I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts