Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up our Madela standard poodle today, a little boy. I am so excited! We haven't chosen a name, though, out of a short list we cut down to 9, so for now we just call him Puppy.

I was so proud of myself - he was going outside and sitting for treats, I thought I was doing such a great job. Then I did something idiotic - I let him jump on the air mattress we will be sleeping on next to his crate, and he made a mess. So my husband needed to inflate a second air mattress, and the noise of the air pump terrified our poor boy. He was so scared he couldn't even take treats, even in another room far away from the sound. I guess I'll need to do all sorts of crazy counter-conditioning to the scary monster we call an air pump. :(

I'm supposed to be following the Ian Dunbar plan; I've read After You Get Your Puppy and I'm subscribed to his Top Dog Academy service, which allows streaming of many of his webinars and videos, so I should have known better than to make this mistake. I'll jump on the bandwagon tomorrow morning with the crating for an hour, straight out to the elimination area, back in for 10-15 minutes of play/training, and repeat.

It's hard to get pics of an active puppy, but I think the ones below are good enough to share. I chose the second one because it was taken immediately after he had walked up to me, placed his paw in my hand, and fallen asleep. I was amazed that he went from being quite skeptical of me in the car ride home to that level of trust within hours.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I’m in love too, he’s gorgeous

Reactions: Elizabeth

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My furbaby did the same exact thing to my bed the first few days too. Lucky you!

What a pretty fluffboy! It sounds like you are hitting the ground running.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
He's wonderful! And you're doing great.

That first week home can be a little nerve wracking for everyone. Have you read about trigger stacking? Just focus on cuddles and play and chewing on safe and fun things. Puppy's cortisol levels will drop, day by day, and then he won't be so quick to fall to pieces/go over threshold.

Peggy transformed from a happy, easygoing girl at the breeder's house to a bundle of nerves about 3/4 of the way through our long drive home. She was OVER IT. But some of the things that freaked her out most during that vulnerable time are now her absolute favourites.

Puppies are resilient. :)

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Adorable - thanks for my puppy fix. Anxious to hear what puppy is finally named.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Aww he is simply adorable! He will get over it, everything is new and as he builds his trust he will relax. Looks like he already has great temperament .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That first week home can be a little nerve wracking for everyone. Have you read about trigger stacking? Just focus on cuddles and play and chewing on safe and fun things. Puppy's cortisol levels will drop, day by day, and then he won't be so quick to fall to pieces/go over threshold.

Peggy transformed from a happy, easygoing girl at the breeder's house to a bundle of nerves about 3/4 of the way through our long drive home. She was OVER IT. But some of the things that freaked her out most during that vulnerable time are now her absolute favourites.

Puppies are resilient. :)
I hadn't heard of trigger stacking, but I know that the cortisol levels build up and take a while to decrease. That makes perfect sense; I'll reintroduce the air pump, turned off, when he's been home for a while and is calm and happy. Tomorrow is veterinarian day, which may be stressful, so the air pump will need to take a back seat.

What a puppy!
What are the name options??
Currently, we have:

Tesla
Beacon
Sunshine
Hudson
Platinum
Sugar
Ivory
Vanilla

Well, that's 8 - not 9.

·
Premium Member
24,242 Posts
That is one handsome boy, but then again I am not at all surprised. BTW I like Tesla very cutting edge and forward facing.

Reactions: Mfmst and Elizabeth

·
Premium Member
24,242 Posts
I will add that Tesla meets one of my naming criteria for pups which is two syllables ending in a vowel sound. It is very easy to make a word like that very cheery in tone. Lily of course exactly fits but rather than calling the boys Peeves and Javelin we usually call them Peevesy and Javvy.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I like Hudson. Whatever you name him, he is a very handsome boy.

Reactions: Elizabeth

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, pup went to the vet today and was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia which will require repair at the time of neuter. The vet told us that there is a 99.9 percent chance this will be routine, but we know there is a small risk. Ack, I was not expecting this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts