Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
She is absolutely georgeous! Congratulations on your new baby, Mitzi.

Take lots of baby pictures....they grow fast and look grown up way too soon.

I know how very excited you must be to finally have her. Please share more about Mitzi and her adventures, when you have time and energy.

Cathy and Poppy

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
She is gorgeous, WinnieJane! Well worth the wait! Is she black or blue? She is just stunning and looks very sweet. I LOVE her name :) You must be busy, busy right now--but is she settling in well?

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
She is lovely! In my book there is nothing sweeter than a black spoo pup.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much, everyone!

Mitzi is black - that second picture is washed out. She is settling in very well. She has already figured out how to walk on a leash and to use the puppy pad in her enclosure instead of the floor. (We are still working on getting her to go in her spot in the yard.) She has a lovely temperament, confident and friendly, and is very good about letting us handle her.

She was supposed to start Puppy Kindergarten tonight but she has developed a cough. It is worrisome; she has only met one dog since leaving the breeder and he is healthy and doesn't go to doggy daycare or dog parks so is unlikely to be carrying anything. We have a wonderful vet who had us email a video and concluded that it isn't an emergency so we are waiting to see how she is tomorrow. She is still energetic and has an appetite.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you finished all her shots? I wouldn't start a puppy class until all the jabs are finished.
That was my original plan, but the vet said it is fine to start now, and so many people here are adamant about starting as soon as possible. As I understood her explanation, the whole series of shots is not necessary to achieve immunity. The reason they get so many shots is that the shots are useless until the immunity they got from their mother wears off. That happens some time between 7 and 16 weeks, so the series is to make sure the pup gets shots to take over once the initial immunity is gone. That said, young puppies are clearly more susceptible to illnesses, including those they can't be immunized against -- as has hit home for me now! As it happens, this class is on hiatus for the rest of August, so we won't be starting until after her second set of shots anyway.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
She's adorable - what a sweetie. I hope this cough is over quickly.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Awww She's so pretty! I hope her cough goes away and turns out to be nothing!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I am sorry Mitzi has a cough. I think your vet sounds awesome to have had you send the video to make an assessment.

To help Mitzi learn to use the outside potty spot I suggest you take a used pad to the place you want her to go. The smell on the used pad should help her to understand what to do. I also would only take her when you are pretty sure she really will go (after naps, after eating, after vigorous play).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts