Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends! I joined the forum several months ago after I lost my 15 year old toy poodle and was interested in getting a standard poodle for our next furry family member. Well, we found a great breeder and brought home our standard poodle puppy, Juniper Gin, about a month ago.

Juniper is adorable and whip smart - but I'm extraordinarily grateful to have found this forum before bringing home a puppy, which prepared me for all the puppy antics to come!

The good! Juniper is almost 14 weeks old and already knows sit, down, up, stand, touch, roll over, paw, chin, wait, off, leave it, drop it, and go to your bed - though they're all works in progress, especially if you don't have a treat. She's extremely food motivated, which has made training fun. We're crate training for the first time, which has gone very smoothly. She typically sleeps from 10PM-8AM without a peep. She waits to be released from her crate pretty consistently and is getting better at waiting at the door outside. She loves to have her teeth brushed (because it comes with hotdog). She also tolerates combing her fur fairly well as long as she has a chew or something to distract her. She's great with fetch inside (outside has too many distractions). So far, she's not super vocal. She'll whine and howl a little when left alone in her crate or ex pen during the day but barking is rare and usually only when we're preparing her food or when playing with another dog. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that doesn't change.

The no-so-good. We're still struggling with house training but most of her accidents lately are our fault for missing her signs or thinking she CAN'T need to be pee again because we JUST went out! It's always pee inside. She hasn't pooped inside except for one time her first night at home. She's never peed in her crate but has peed on her bed in her ex pen and plenty on our rugs. I'm thankful for the enzyme spray we have. She's extremely bitey. She bites our hands when she's excited or over tired. But the bigger issue is the jumping/lunging and biting. She'll jump at our faces, teeth out, when she wants to say hello. When she gets too wound up, she'll jump and bite hands and clothing (sometimes tearing holes). We're addressing the biting by either removing ourselves from the room for 30-60 seconds or putting her in her ex pen when inside. Or, when outside, standing on the leash so that all she can do it sit next to us, until she's calmer. Frustrating for sure, but fairly common puppy behavior that we're working through.

I'm looking forward to continue to learn from all of you as Juniper grows up and we try to train her up as a model canine citizen!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Such a lovely puppy! I'm looking forward to many posts about your journey together.

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
Welcome Juniper Gin! You are clearly smart and beautiful :).

Reactions: jcris

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Congratulations on your pup! She is a cutie and a typical poodle puppy. Sounds like you have a good plan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
She's so cute, and looks a lot like 4 month old Oona! We are working on the bitey excitement behavior too.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Juniper Gin is beautiful and I’m sure will bring so much joy into your life. Good for you in being able to move on and bring another pup into your home.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
I love that picture of Juniper with her doggie buddy.

It sounds like you are doing really well. The housebreaking will improve with physical maturity, probably around 6 months.

Bitey face games are normal puppy play style. It's an instinctive way for puppies to practice the hunting, fighting, and appeasement skills their ancestors needed for survival. I think the best way to deal with it is to redirect the drive into similar but more appropriate games.

One game I play with my pup Galen is off leash heeling. I simply walk around my yard at a fast clip while making sudden changes in direction. His job is to follow me at my left heel. I use a clicker to mark when he is exactly where I want him. Without stopping walking I click and hand him a treat when he stays in the correct position. He gets no treat for jumping on me or being out of place. Since he wants the treats, he soon puts all his mental effort into watching for direction changes. The game satisfies and rewards his urge to chase while encouraging thinking and self control.

Lily cd has a game where she holds a treat in her closed hand and lets the dog sniff. Hand stays closed while pup is licking and trying to pry the fingers open. Hand opens to dispense treat when pup pulls back.

Another game I added a few months ago is "Back away". I walk towards Galen while flicking my hand in a shooting motion and saying "back away." His reaction is to scoot backwards to avoid getting stepped on. I click to reward that first step backwards and toss a treat at his head. I toss the treat to him instead of just handing it because I want him to stay outside my personal space. Sometimes I reward him with a ball instead of a treat. With repetition we've built up a bit of distance, and he's become better at snapping treats out of the air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts