Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe she's finally here! Thanks to everyone here for all the replies, discussion, and amazing advice as I was trying to prepare. I'm so excited to be a part of this community moving forward!

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Hello Cinder and congrats OP! She looks like she's working very hard on becoming the best dog, and I'm excited to follow your journey together.

·
Registered
506 Posts
What a cutie! With a cute name too... Are you going to start a 52 weeks?

Reactions: RL13

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
What a darling! Congratulations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a cutie! With a cute name too... Are you going to start a 52 weeks?
Thank you! Took awhile to find the name that felt right to me! I'm not exactly sure what a 52 weeks is?

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She’s so cute I started to tear up. Enjoy the fun and crazy puppy phase. Congratulations!
Haha I know I'm waiting for her to get more acclimated and unleash her true self. She has seemed super calm since I first held her, but I'm guessing that's just because she's a bit scared due to a new situation. She only recently started getting more active with her toys, but a lot of the times she just follows me around and lays down near where I am, which I know I shouldn't be complaining about with a puppy lol. The biggest issue for now seems to be the crate + pen setup. She whines a bit when in there, usually at night, but if I go lay near the pen and she lays back down and seems content to fall asleep. The only concern for now will be when she's actually alone when I have to run an errand or something.

Even when meeting some friends and their adult dogs she barely showed any reaction, besides some sniffing and tail wagging at the begging, and actually even fell asleep on my lap surrounded by multiple new people/dogs.

I took her outside the first 24 hours, but then I got a bit scared about Parvo since I'm in Texas and it's supposed to be pretty prevalent in this area, as far as I was told. So, I've been doing my best to go on walks with her and take her around new places while carrying her the whole time so she can check things out. Although, even in the car she mostly just wants to lay down on me and sleep so we'll see if she starts to get her exploration on soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh that's a great idea. I'll most definitely have enough pictures to create something like that anyways 😂

So I may as well go for it!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Its just photo a week for your dogs first year of life. I love it because I love watching dogs grow, and their color changes!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yay she's home safe. What a cutie. I missed carrying Basil around from 8-12 weeks. Eventually they'll get too big for your lap lol. We had a natural progression where I was forced to confront any seperation anxiety. A lot of my talk with Basil was like, "If I could take you everywhere, I would. It hurts me more then it hurts you, but Poppa has to do this..."

You'll cross that bridge when you get there. In the mean time, enjoy the love and bonding with your new furbaby :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
That’s great that she’s getting to meet others at your house and have positive experience with it.

Hopefully by the end of one week she’ll stop crying when it’s time to go into the crate at bedtime. Especially if you’re sleeping in the same room.
Mine was pretty easy and took a week to stop crying when put in the crate for bedtime. During the day was more difficult for her, but I’d just ignore her stares, barking and whining. If she was quiet I’d throw a treat into the pen here and there. Nap time is nap time, and it’s also where she would spend time when I wasn’t watching her 100%. It saved my sanity!

Make sure you keep water available to her in her crate and 24/7. Just a PSA I like to say to all new puppy owners!

How long have you had her?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
What a bundle of love. Beautiful color. It will be fun watching Cinder grow. Please do start a 52 week thread.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s great that she’s getting to meet others at your house and have positive experience with it.

Hopefully by the end of one week she’ll stop crying when it’s time to go into the crate at bedtime. Especially if you’re sleeping in the same room.
Mine was pretty easy and took a week to stop crying when put in the crate for bedtime. During the day was more difficult for her, but I’d just ignore her stares, barking and whining. If she was quiet I’d throw a treat into the pen here and there. Nap time is nap time, and it’s also where she would spend time when I wasn’t watching her 100%. It saved my sanity!

Make sure you keep water available to her in her crate and 24/7. Just a PSA I like to say to all new puppy owners!

How long have you had her?
I brought her home Saturday so quite early on still! I took a bit of time off of work so she can get properly and comfortably settled in :)

Did you have your crate near your bed or just in the common area? I've seen both suggested so just curious. She's definitely started to learn that settling, both in the pen/crate and around the house, is a desired behavior so she's been doing it a lot. She probably just needs a bit more time to figure out the crate situation. It's definitely nice to have her napping there so I can do some normal stuff like shower and cook!

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
83 Posts
Congrats! What a cutie! Our pup is now 17 weeks and she came home at 9. She slept in her family room crate for about a week with me on the sofa. She settled quickly and when I moved her to our bedroom into a metal crate with a cover she never made a peep. Please post lots of pics! We love puppy pics!🐾❤

1 - 20 of 30 Posts