Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Archie is 11 weeks old toy poodle I am feeding him on raw food half a patty a day with a tablespoon of pumpkin he seems hungry should I increase his food he weighs 3 lbs. 4 oz. any advice please

very hit and miss at the moment with toilet training I take him outside every 30 minutes but it’s very cold here he tends to do his P and he gets a treat and lots of praise but he hasn’t quite got the hang of doing a Pooh outside any help there many thanks
is is adorable 😍

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Welcome! He’s still such a tiny baby. Since your potty training efforts are half working, I’d keep going what you’re doing, but make note of every time he has a poop accident (what he was doing when it occurred and just before, time of day, etc.) and look out for a pattern. Then you can be proactive about getting him out before he has a chance to poop in the wrong place. Poops especially seems to get jostled out by play and other activity.

As far as weight goes, that can vary by height and bone structure. Does your vet feel he’s a healthy weight?

I’ll be honest - a tablespoon of pumpkin sounds like an awful lot for such a little guy. It might be contributing to his accidents. The food you’re feeding him should already be nutritionally balanced. If he seems hungry (rather than just enthusiastic), he probably needs more.

Puppies at that age should be eating at least 3-4 times per day, and toy puppies especially should have regular access to easily digestible food: Toy Breed Hypoglycemia

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with Peggy. Omit the pumpkin seeds. I would also keep him confined with a newspaper floor. If he has an accident, just put the paper outside where you want him to go. You may need a rock to hold it down.

Back indoors, you can put newspaper down where he "went" as he will probably keep using that place if you don't get him outside on time. He'll come to understand newspaper as the toilet and is unlikely to think carpeting is the toilet. They learn very fast.

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
Welcome little Archie! I will enjoy hearing about all of your adventures. Fun times ahead!

·
Registered
915 Posts
After a pee and a praise and a treat, I would turn back into a statue waiting for a poo. I often got this look:

1E8FA1AB-D3BD-47AB-A465-D832C580C2E5_1_201_a.jpeg

Many, many times if it was the time of day for a poo and she didn't give me one, she went into her small puppy area or crate for twenty minutes. Then I would take her back out to her potty area again, and wait like a statue. Very boring, but effective. I had to repeat this whole process recently after Violet forgot how to go potty in our backyard after her spay (she wanted to be walked for every potty break). She is now back to doing her business in the backyard after an exceedingly boring 3 days.

To my way of thinking if my dog is pooping in the house they either have too much freedom for their training level, or they are sick. Sometimes adolescent dogs need to go through puppy house training again, lose their freedoms and have to work their way back up. Doesn't usually take long in the grand scheme of things, but is not very fun.

Good luck with your sweet puppy!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Archie!

Good advice from the members.
Toys need 3-4 smaller meals a day to sustain them and avoid hypoglycemia, a very serious condition.
Small meals at regular times will often help with keeping the poo times also on schedule.
What is the calorie content of the raw patty and what is the recommended feeding amount, and how often?
His weight as of now can't be advised on without knowing his height at his shoulders. Healthy poodle weight isrelative to height.
Puppies grow in irregular spurts, so one week he may look pudgy and the next, quite leggy.
100% pure pumpkin (not the pie filling) is a great moderator for GI issues but doesn't need to be part of a regular diet as it may increase the poo output. Was this recommended by his breeder or vet?

There is a Sticky thread about raw feeding here Links for Feeding a Homemade Raw Diet
I can't speak to every 30 minutes for going out, having always had mini's who I took out hourly. As mentioned, on top of the scheduled outings, he'll need to go out after every activity. Activities include waking after napping or sleeping, eating, drinking, playing, training, walking...
When not under direct supervision, for his safety and possibly your sanity :) he should be given limited freedom. An ex-pen might do the trick if you don't already have one. You need him close to you so you can observe and learn his "gotta go. now." look, posture, behavior.
Until he's around 6 months old, his neuromuscular system is too immature for him to recognize and connect the signals his body is giving him. By around 4 months he'll start really catching on but is still a ways out from fully connecting the two.

Have you been introduced to Dr. Ian Dunbar, a respected animal behaviorist and trainer? He has a website full of very helpful information. There are two books particularly that I'll link for you. One is Before you get your puppy and the other is After. Both will have helpful information for you, to start with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! He’s still such a tiny baby. Since your potty training efforts are half working, I’d keep going what you’re doing, but make note of every time he has a poop accident (what he was doing when it occurred and just before, time of day, etc.) and look out for a pattern. Then you can be proactive about getting him out before he has a chance to poop in the wrong place. Poops especially seems to get jostled out by play and other activity.

As far as weight goes, that can vary by height and bone structure. Does your vet feel he’s a healthy weight?

I’ll be honest - a tablespoon of pumpkin sounds like an awful lot for such a little guy. It might be contributing to his accidents. The food you’re feeding him should already be nutritionally balanced. If he seems hungry (rather than just enthusiastic), he probably needs more.

Puppies at that age should be eating at least 3-4 times per day, and toy puppies especially should have regular access to easily digestible food: Toy Breed Hypoglycemia
Thank you so much for your prompt reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Peggy. Omit the pumpkin seeds. I would also keep him confined with a newspaper floor. If he has an accident, just put the paper outside where you want him to go. You may need a rock to hold it down.

Back indoors, you can put newspaper down where he "went" as he will probably keep using that place if you don't get him outside on time. He'll come to understand newspaper as the toilet and is unlikely to think carpeting is the toilet. They learn very fast.
Hello Michigan
thank you for the advice on newspaper I will try it let’s hope it works !
just to let you know I don’t give Archie pumpkin seeds I gave him the vegetable pumpkin which I have cooked and puréed it is very good for their digestive system and with me feeding him raw it burns up his Pooh a little.
thank you for making me feel welcome to the Poodle group I will let you know if the newspaper works keep your fingers crossed for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome little Archie! I will enjoy hearing about all of your adventures. Fun times ahead!
Mfmst thank you Archie is adorable he’s got a lovely coat he’s a merle toy poodle the last time I had a poodle 34 years ago
two years ago I lost my dear miss P Who was a miniature schnauzer she passed away at the age of 15 with cancer 🥲
so here I am two years later with Archie let the adventure begin! 🥰🤪

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi and Welcome to you and Archie!

Good advice from the members.
Toys need 3-4 smaller meals a day to sustain them and avoid hypoglycemia, a very serious condition.
Small meals at regular times will often help with keeping the poo times also on schedule.
What is the calorie content of the raw patty and what is the recommended feeding amount, and how often?
His weight as of now can't be advised on without knowing his height at his shoulders. Healthy poodle weight isrelative to height.
Puppies grow in irregular spurts, so one week he may look pudgy and the next, quite leggy.
100% pure pumpkin (not the pie filling) is a great moderator for GI issues but doesn't need to be part of a regular diet as it may increase the poo output. Was this recommended by his breeder or vet?

There is a Sticky thread about raw feeding here Links for Feeding a Homemade Raw Diet
I can't speak to every 30 minutes for going out, having always had mini's who I took out hourly. As mentioned, on top of the scheduled outings, he'll need to go out after every activity. Activities include waking after napping or sleeping, eating, drinking, playing, training, walking...
When not under direct supervision, for his safety and possibly your sanity :) he should be given limited freedom. An ex-pen might do the trick if you don't already have one. You need him close to you so you can observe and learn his "gotta go. now." look, posture, behavior.
Until he's around 6 months old, his neuromuscular system is too immature for him to recognize and connect the signals his body is giving him. By around 4 months he'll start really catching on but is still a ways out from fully connecting the two.

Have you been introduced to Dr. Ian Dunbar, a respected animal behaviorist and trainer? He has a website full of very helpful information. There are two books particularly that I'll link for you. One is Before you get your puppy and the other is After. Both will have helpful information for you, to start with.

Thanks 🙏
100% fresh pumpkin I will check out the links I have a pen for him I think I’m giving him too much freedom in the house

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a pee and a praise and a treat, I would turn back into a statue waiting for a poo. I often got this look:

View attachment 473279

Many, many times if it was the time of day for a poo and she didn't give me one, she went into her small puppy area or crate for twenty minutes. Then I would take her back out to her potty area again, and wait like a statue. Very boring, but effective. I had to repeat this whole process recently after Violet forgot how to go potty in our backyard after her spay (she wanted to be walked for every potty break). She is now back to doing her business in the backyard after an exceedingly boring 3 days.

To my way of thinking if my dog is pooping in the house they either have too much freedom for their training level, or they are sick. Sometimes adolescent dogs need to go through puppy house training again, lose their freedoms and have to work their way back up. Doesn't usually take long in the grand scheme of things, but is not very fun.

Good luck with your sweet puppy!
Thank you I think I am giving Archie too much freedom I think I have to keep him in his playpen a little bit more the problem is here in Canada Montreal the weather outside today it’s -18 a little chilly🥶
but I am going to persevere I’m sure I will get that in the end

·
Registered
632 Posts
That is not a poodle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts