Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can give me a good suggestion. Because of his copper hepatitis, Enzo is on a number of medications. Most I can give him with no problem. But he has to take a capsule on an empty stomach. I usually can give him a medicine by dropping it in the back of his throat but the capsule sticks to the first surface it touches. So it often does not get far enough back. I will call the vet tomorrow to see if I can give it with something to make the administration easier. But this med is supposed to be half an hour after an anti nausea med and on an empty stomach. any ideas? Thanks.

Registered
Is it a medication a compounding pharmacy could make into a liquid safely? Then a plastic dropper of slid into the side of his mouth could be easier maybe?

That is a question for your vet, of course. Or even if there is a different type of capsule available. Maybe there is a bit less instantly sticky sort? Again, a vet question.

Wishing you both all the best 馃尰.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a medication a compounding pharmacy could make into a liquid safely? Then a plastic dropper of slid into the side of his mouth could be easier maybe?

That is a question for your vet, of course. Or even if there is a different type of capsule available. Maybe there is a bit less instantly sticky sort? Again, a vet question.

Wishing you both all the best 馃尰.
Actually it was made by a compounding pharmacy so perhaps asking if it can be a liquid might be a good idea. Thank you for That thought. I will ask about it.

Registered
You could also ask your vet if you can crush the pill, mix it with water and give it in a seringe. You just lift one lip and slowly pour, between the teeth and the side of the face, so it doesn鈥檛 make him choke.

Premium Member
If it is a capsule it is presumably a powder, so would be easy to mix it with water and use a syringe to get it into his mouth. But the capsule may be there to disguise a foul taste, in which case I would ask the pharmacist whether there are alternative types available that are less sticky the moment they get damp.

Reactions: kontiki

Premium Member
You can try a pill shooter, I used it on a particularly feisty cat
Animal Pill Shooter
I have medicated my fare share of pets over the years, dogs, cats and birds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I was also going to suggest a helper, such as butter. A little butter isn't going to discount an empty stomach.
I spoke with the very today and she said I could use a pill pocket so I May try that but thanks to other advice I also bought a pill shooter. The challenge is avoiding items with copper but a little bit of something can be ok. I really appreciate all thoughts. Perhaps a little butter or peanut butter might help as well. Overall we are doing ok. in a few weeks we will omit the Zofran so he will have fewer times per day to get meds. Right now he gets meds 5 times a day.

Premium Member
Chicken breast is low in copper, and in Poppy's opinion turns all pills into much-anticipated "scrummy medicines". It only needs a tiny bit of cooked breast to cover a pill - the rest is frozen in chunks for later.

Reactions: Liz

Premium Member
I bought it. Thanks. Looks good.
Good luck, I have had more than a few that had to take meds prior to meal time and on an empty stomach, there are a variety of pill shooters as well as techniques of pilling and medicating pets check out youtube. I have perfected my aim over the years to pop it down the back of the throat but sometimes there is a misfire.
I am up to 13 medications dispensed every morning and every third day 14, that is between three dogs and a cat, only one is mixed in with food. Two types of eyes drops, 4 are liquids, the rest are pills

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Chicken breast is low in copper, and in Poppy's opinion turns all pills into much-anticipated "scrummy medicines". It only needs a tiny bit of cooked breast to cover a pill - the rest is frozen in chunks for later.
I would definitely trust poppy鈥檚 advice. Yes, I will try that as well. Thank you so much.

Premium Member
I am with butter balls. Take the capsule and wrap around with butter. Asta will always take medication this way.

Registered
I use Pala-Tech Tricky Treats, grilled duck flavor, because Alf has a food allergy. Get them from my vet but you can also get them on Amazon. A tiny bit stuck to a pill and I'm good.

Registered
You could also have a syringe of water, to squirt in directly after giving the pill. Especially if you keep her nose tilted upwards it will 'rinse' the pill downwards.

Registered
I don't really like the pill pockets after reading the ingredients. I put pills in a small bit of organic butter. So far it has worked every time, and I have tried quite a few things. Just try to make sure he doesn't chew it as it may then taste yucky. My spoo is famous for spitting out pills and this has been the only thing that worked :) He loves the butter so much he just basically inhales it without chewing.

Premium Member
Watch for xylitol in peanut butter etc.

Reactions: Liz
1 - 20 of 20 Posts