Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any insight into what might help a medial luxating patella? Vet said my almost 6 mos old puppy has this. Mild case, grade one. Any help would be appreciated. Vet said pup is still growing so this condition may improve. But may get worse as well.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Steady exercise can help to build muscle strength and prevent the knee popping out. Sit/Stand/Sit/Stand is a good one, as is crawling under a low bar (sit on the floor with your knee crooked and encourage him to creep through). Walking up and down safe steps (carpeted or other non slip) or steep paths is recommended, and swimming can be helpful. I would also ask your vet whether a nutritional supplement might be helpful, depending on your puppy's diet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steady exercise can help to build muscle strength and prevent the knee popping out. Sit/Stand/Sit/Stand is a good one, as is crawling under a low bar (sit on the floor with your knee crooked and encourage him to creep through). Walking up and down safe steps (carpeted or other non slip) or steep paths is recommended, and swimming can be helpful. I would also ask your vet whether a nutritional supplement might be helpful, depending on your puppy's diet.
Thanks so much for the tips! We really appreciate it :).

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
There are such variations to this, and I do also believe there is still a chance she may outgrow it. However, my Bichon mix has a grade 1 luxating patella. It is more unusual in that it is a lateral luxation. It was diagnosed shortly after we got her, when she was a year old. The vet thought it may even be due to an injury.

She is now 8 1/2 and it has not progressed. It doesn’t pop out on its own, but the vet can displace it and when I pickher up, I sometimes feel it click. She also has a somewhat odd way of sitting, with that leg at funny angle. But it doesn’t seem to bother her. A couple years ago, I talked to the vet about trying her in agility and he thought it would be a good idea and may help strengthen the muscles in that area. As you can see from the picture, that has been a success.

So far so good with her, but time could change that. There are many people here whos3 dogs have had surgeries to repair a luxating patella. I do think your pup is too young to determine if it is a problem yet. Good for you to do the research in anticipation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Also, my Gracie had loose knees on exam as a pup, and the vet said that not uncommon in the breed. She is now 14 months and they are fine.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My dog had a grade 2 in one back knee and a grade 1 in the other back knee when I got him (bad breeding situation). Both knees have gotten worse, but not to the point of needing surgery, according to an expert. It did make him more prone to injury, though, so jumping off and on furniture should be done with caution (my guy is also a toy size, so I learned I need to be extra careful). I would highly suggest trying to get your puppy to use stairs for that.

Also, as already recommended, exercise and joint supplements are important. I wish I would have put my guy on supplements immediately. Cosequin and Dasuquin might be options, but consult with your vet. I wasn't sure about the supplements at first, but they have made a big difference for my dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As a human with the complaint, I'll pass along my orthopedist's advice - avoid walking on streets and other surfaces that aren't truly flat. Streets are sloped for drainage.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
If knees are bad walking up and down a graded slope is indeed hard, but walking up and down a slight grade is recommended to strengthen muscle. I did that and what fjm recommended for my Beatrice's luxating patellas

·
Registered
89 Posts
If knees are bad walking up and down a graded slope is indeed hard, but walking up and down a slight grade is recommended to strengthen muscle. I did that and what fjm recommended for my Beatrice's luxating patellas
I don't think we're not talking about the same thing. I'm not talking going uphill. I'm saying that if my right leg is at a different height than my left when they are side-by-side, according to the doctor, it's bad for my knees.

Streets and some sidewalks are sloped so that they are higher in the middle so that water runs off. When we walk on the edge of the street, the foot on one side is slightly higher than on the other.

No one has to agree. It was information offered in good faith.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
I don't think we're not talking about the same thing. I'm not talking going uphill. I'm saying that if my right leg is at a different height than my left when they are side-by-side, according to the doctor, it's bad for my knees.

Streets and some sidewalks are sloped so that they are higher in the middle so that water runs off. When we walk on the edge of the street, the foot on one side is slightly higher than on the other.

No one has to agree. It was information offered in good faith.
Point taken misunderstood, my mom had one leg shorter than the other that kind of slop made her back hurt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are such variations to this, and I do also believe there is still a chance she may outgrow it. However, my Bichon mix has a grade 1 luxating patella. It is more unusual in that it is a lateral luxation. It was diagnosed shortly after we got her, when she was a year old. The vet thought it may even be due to an injury.

She is now 8 1/2 and it has not progressed. It doesn’t pop out on its own, but the vet can displace it and when I pickher up, I sometimes feel it click. She also has a somewhat odd way of sitting, with that leg at funny angle. But it doesn’t seem to bother her. A couple years ago, I talked to the vet about trying her in agility and he thought it would be a good idea and may help strengthen the muscles in that area. As you can see from the picture, that has been a success.

So far so good with her, but time could change that. There are many people here whos3 dogs have had surgeries to repair a luxating patella. I do think your pup is too young to determine if it is a problem yet. Good for you to do the research in anticipation.
Oh how precious that action shot is of your Bichon! I used to have a Bichon years ago. So cute! I found your post encouraging. Thank you! We are hoping and praying he outgrows this. We are doing exercises to strengthen the muscles for sure!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dog had a grade 2 in one back knee and a grade 1 in the other back knee when I got him (bad breeding situation). Both knees have gotten worse, but not to the point of needing surgery, according to an expert. It did make him more prone to injury, though, so jumping off and on furniture should be done with caution (my guy is also a toy size, so I learned I need to be extra careful). I would highly suggest trying to get your puppy to use stairs for that.

Also, as already recommended, exercise and joint supplements are important. I wish I would have put my guy on supplements immediately. Cosequin and Dasuquin might be options, but consult with your vet. I wasn't sure about the supplements at first, but they have made a big difference for my dog.
We have started doing exercises :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts