Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our neighbor two houses down has a black lab who is aggressive and mean. Even as a puppy he would charge after me and my kids and not in a playful way....which is unusual behavior for a puppy. I told my husband this isn’t gonna get better. We have spoken with them NUMEROUS times about keeping him in their yard and or tethered. It would last for a bit then he’d b back in our yard marking everything! At night they would let him loose. I know this cause the next morning all our tires have massive spray marks patio furniture..very obvious. Recently he has charged after me and Teddy which we caught on our ring. We call animal control and they basically said there’s nothing we can do till he injures someone or something. Which means I feel unsafe in my own yard. I hate this! So..I have to wait for me my children or Teddy to be injured before doing anything. Am I living in the twilight zone?!! We can’t fence in our yard cause our yard is a work in progress. House is a newer build and we have some yard construction that needs done first. But seriously my only option to feel safe to take my dog poop is a $5000 fence cause people can’t maintain their animal. IM BEYOND!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Isn’t letting your dog roam loose considered negligence? Did you mention that he is off leash and roaming at nighttime when speaking to animal control?

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Check out your local ordinances and state laws to see if there is something more to do. Marking your patio furniture could be argues as destructive of property. Also are there other neighbors who are worried about this dog? If yes maybe you can have a group effort. We had two pit bitches whe were never allowed in the house, sometimes the garage in miserable weather but rarely. They were on heavy cable tethers but chewed through those and would charge at dogs when they were out for walks. We (me and a number of neighbors) all called the local SPCA and complained we thought the dogs were being mistreated. They did come and inspect and did a couple of follow ups. The end result was that the owners had to build a proper dog run which stopped them from trying to dig under my fence to get in our yard. Since they still weern't always properly secured eventually one of them was killed when another neighbor whose wife while she was dying of cancer and elderly frail mother were charged at clocked the loose pit on the head with a baseball bat. She was still alive but euthanized an hour or so later because she had really bad skull fractures. Solutions don't always work the way you think they should but there is often more you can do than you might be aware of.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That sucks. I live in an old established neighborhood with lots of loose dogs and few fences. Not aggressive, but annoying. Annie has a small fenced in pee yard made up of 2 wire ex pens connected to our fenced and gated porch. Only 36" tall, but somehow Annie has never discovered it is leapable. X pens can be quite reasonably priced especially if you buy them used, and are pretty easy to resell if and when you eventually get a real fence. I am advocating for a fence for our whole yard though, but, as you said, expensive! We are in an older/rural neighborhood and I would be tempted to put up an inexpensive 48" welded wire field fence with a farm type gate wide enough to get an excavator/tractor/car into the yard (we have a backyard project to be completed eventually too). Luckily Annie has shown no inclination to jump!

In our area, if you can catch a dog and call bylaw, and the owner will get fined. If they catch it I think 3 times, the dog is taken away.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Animal control said there has to be multiple complaints in order for them to come back out. The owner is older amputee which I hate for him but animal control feels sorry for him. But if u can’t control your dog u shouldn’t have. We live in a nice neighborhood. There no other dogs loose. U can’t even have an outdoor cat. It’s just crazy to me!! One morning I saw a dog collar on our street and I knew whose it was and the rabies tag was expired. So not only is the dog loose and mean but is not current on shots. It just gets better and better. It’s almost like he and his dog are more protected than me and my family. 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌

·
Registered
857 Posts
What if you sent animal control a video of it being aggressive and out? At minimum, if you started videoing each encounter you would have evidence if the owner claims you are lying about it being on your property, or a threat. If you get pissed off enough and they keep ignoring you, mention you will send the videos to the local news station for a story on "residents of x neighborhood menaced by dog, animal control refuses to act". Not the preferred solution for anyone, but people are often FAR more likely to take you seriously if you have video.

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
It's not fair, but you might need to put up some temporary fencing until this lab situation is straightened out. A roll of 48" x 100' welded wire fencing is around $75. [I used 60" wire fencing on my property, but my gate ($140) is only 4' and the dogs have never shown any interest in jumping it.] T-posts are around $4 each. Total cost to string up a fence will be less than a vet bill.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
And the rabies vax being out of date is another check mark on their bad list.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had to call animal control and they got here quick. They know where this dog lives. We r not the only ones that want this dog gone. Of course by the time he got here the owner got dog back inside after he marked our back yard. Officer said I can’t do anything unless he bites. I was like oh that’s great me or my children will have to b injured for anything to b done. News flash he’s not current on his shots. So officer is gonna set a trap in our back yard to see if he can catch em. After that who the heck knows! FRUSTRATED and SCARED!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My condolences. It's a tough problem for you. My frail old spoo and I were bitten last year, a few days before she died. It was the second attack by the same 75 lbs dog. Since we weren't injured (wimpy bite, bruising, but no skin break), animal control was reluctant to intervene, but did agree to contact the owner — after I provided contact information!

Eventually our assailant disappeared for a while, but now he's back, walking nicely on a loose leash with a 15 year-old dogwalker, so it did work out for all of us. (Mostly! The owner is still angry at me for calling AC, but at least her dog is calm and happy!) The owner of the dog that's bothering you is probably overwhelmed and has no idea how to fix his companion.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess who came after me again?!! Each time he gets closer. He’s gonna bite me eventually. Animal control set a trap in our backyard. Apparently I’d b good bait! The guy always lets him out in the evening when AP isn’t on duty. I feel hopeless! Teddy wouldn’t go back outside..ended up pooping in the house! 😖

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope the mean thing goes in the trap that’s the only way they can get it. Other option is if it bites. Those r my options! Why would the dog go into a unbated trap?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would probably bait it to be honest . How did the hotdogs get in there? Must have missed while practicing my evening target practice for the hot dog throwing contest I am entering. Oops, my mistake.

Doesnt count if the dog destroys the evidence!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find it weird that animal control has to wait for it to bite you. Why does the absolute worse scenaRio has to happen?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts