Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has decided to put our almost 17 yr old bichon to sleep on wednesday at 8 pm. She fell ill this past weekend and has not improved, it's more than likely kidney failure as she has had kidney issues her entire life and she shows all the symptoms. At this point, we feel it is best for her to say goodbye.

I'm at a loss for words to describe how sad I am. It's an overwhelming type of sadness that I have not felt before. I do not remember a time without Tippy around as I was only 3 years old when we got her. I will be losing my little sister on wednesday, and I don't know what I'm going to do.
I also feel for Matrix. Tippy showed him the ropes, put him in his place when he got out of hand even though she is a fraction of his size, and has kept him company during the day for the entirety of his life. She put up with his nonsense like only a big sister could, and helped Matrix "clean up" the evidence when he would go garbage diving or counter surfing. There's nothing I can do to prepare him for the upcoming loss of his older but littler sister. I wonder if he knows something is up.

I only have two days left with my little old girl. Sad doesn't even begin to sum up how I'm feeling. She is the friendliest dog I've ever met. Big dogs, small dogs, tall people, short people, old people, young people, all were her friends. It pains me so much to imagine the coming days, months and years without her around. This is the first animal I've had to put to sleep and I hope I never have to make such a decision again.

I'm going to miss her so much, and I know Matrix will too.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am so sorry. I had to do the same thing in March with my little toy poodle. I had her for 16 years. It's so very difficult clinging to those last precious hours knowing she will be gone soon. Just love on her and remember those good times. Let her know you are there to comfort her in her time of need just as she did all through the years for you and Matrix.

It sounds like she is so very precious and made a huge impact on so many. I don't know why our furry friends can't stay with us longer. I guess it is another reminder how precious life is in all of the little moments captured in time.

I don't know if the vet suggested it or not, but it will be easier for Matrix to see her after she is gone. I know he can tell she is not feeling well and would imagine he has been helping his big (little) sister for some time now. It's just easier for him to know what happened and that she has gone to a better place.

Also keep in mind that some people may not understand the intensity of pain of a lost pet. It's because they have never felt the joy of a constant companion. Forget their words, and forgive them. Go to those who know how it feels and share your precious memories.

My thoughts will be with you. Saying good-bye is hard to do. You really have to dig down and let your love for her overcome your need to keep her. The loss of a furry friend has been the most difficult experiences of my life. Just keep in mind that death is a natural part of life. Learning how to accept it takes a higher understanding. I wouldn't trade those wonderful memories for anything.

I think she will thank you for the peace she will find. Dogs are really good at hiding their pain. The things they go through to make us happy is simply the most amazing gift. True love.

((Hugs)) to you. :flowers::crying:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am sorry to hear that you are needing to let your little one cross the rainbow bridge, and I hope you remember in the pain there is joy, when she passes she will feel no pain and she will be met by others who have passed before her and welcomed with luving paws :angel (2): She will always be with you in your heart and her spirit will always be around to comfort you when she is needed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
It's always such a difficult position to be in.
However,making it is the final way to show how much you love your pet.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having to let your little old girl go home. It is one of the things we all put ourselves into when we choose to take a pet into our lives since we live so much longer, it is the hardest part of that commitment. I am sorry that you are having to go through this today and know that it will be difficult for a while, but remember that you, obviously, gave that wonderful girl a long, happy life. She gave to you and you gave to her and as difficult as this day will be, you are doing what is right for her now. I hope you are able to look beyond the pain you will feel and smile at the memory of her.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that you had to make the most difficult decision you can for a loved pet. I know this will be very hard because I had to do it myself recently. As the others said, love her right to the end and then beyond. She gave you so many years of love and joy and that will help you get through this time that there are no words to describe. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Locket - Snoops and I are sending you support and positive vibes.
2 days passes too quickly, huh? Hope you are going to be ok. :hug:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want my little girl back :( It was hard, really REALLY hard, but she was ready. Didn't even flinch when the needle went in. She was so brave.
We called the vet before we went in and they recommended NOT bringing Matrix. They said it's usually very distressing for a dog to watch their "sibling" die, so we heeded their advice. He seems to notice something different, but is handling it in true poodle fashion, "Carpe Diem".

Thank you for all the kind words and support. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Tippy will watch over you with adoring eyes. I'm glad you didn't take Matrix with you, that wasn't what I intended. I'm sure he really misses his sister too. May you both find comfort in each other.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
so sorry for your loss. its very hard to have to put a pet to sleep - i had a Tippy too and had to do the same when she had such bad heart failure she couldn't even move anymore. I dread the day with the present ones - maybe we will go together! lol - not being morose - I'm 70 and they are 4 so... lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts