Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am brand new to the site (and brand new to the poodle world in general). I just put down a deposit on a 4 week old black male standard (of course I don't get him for another 4 weeks). I chose the breed because of my allergies and then all the wonderful things I've heard about the breed as a whole (their temperament and intelligence).
As far as grooming, I am a single guy and will not be grooming my poodle in the traditional show cut. I intend on keeping the fur pretty much all the same length, with the face short but not shaved down, the paws not shaved down, no "puffs" on the head, no longer hair on the ears, you get the point. Does anyone else have their poodle styled in this more "masculine" look, and can you post pics? Any recommendations from like-minded poodle owners?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I keep my dogs like that also except sometimes I shave the face and keep it a little longer on the head with a fluff at end of tail! lol welcome I know you will enjoy your new poo!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep my dogs like that also except sometimes I shave the face and keep it a little longer on the head with a fluff at end of tail! lol welcome I know you will enjoy your new poo!
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any full-body pics of them with this cut?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh and my chocolate male I keep with a shorter top knot but some ear length and then basically a lamb trim he looks male. My female I do the bikini clip but have seen lots of males like that as well.
For you if you are just going to clip all over you could do it yourself no trouble get a decent set of clippers with detatchable blades not a set from walmart. You could get a set for hundred bucks easy. and away you go every four weeks or so.
Best to start as soon as you get him even just the face so they get used to grooming brushing and handling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'll probably just do it myself. It seems silly to pay someone every 4-6 weeks to do an easy short clip. I'd probably need someone to demonstrate first, and I need to know what levels to do each area.

Pamela, I like your cut! what number do you use on each area? That's pretty much how I want my guy to look! Except maybe with a bushier beard, but I'll probably experiment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way thanks for the input, the link and the pics. Any more photos of other dogs with slightly different styles would be appreciated! I'm so excited for my pup to come home! I can't believe I have to wait a month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a pic of what I could call a masculine cut. His muzzle is shaved but they also have his ears and top knot taken down.

He's a handsome boy....He looks like my Eli !!
Adorable! I like this look a lot! When you say top knot, are you talking about the top of the head? I'm new to these terms.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Adorable! I like this look a lot! When you say top knot, are you talking about the top of the head? I'm new to these terms.
Yes you are correct.

Your going to love your new buddy. I have two black male Standard Poodles (1.5 yrs and 5 months) They are great dogs. Do you have any pics of your boy yet?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
aw he's cute! you are going to have so much fun with him - I have an Andis clipper and I use 7FC on the body - that's fairly short and if I shave face I use #10. I dont' go right to skin. right now I am scissoring face and they look like Teddy-bears lol!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey billtill, welcome to this forum. Love your new fur baby. Bet you can't wait to be able to go pick him up. Yes, I agree, with the type of cut that you are planning on keeping him in, that I too would consider clipping him myself. Most clippers that you would buy come with a tape that you can watch, demonstrating different types of dog clips. We have two andis clippers. One is a 1 speed, the other is a 2 speed. We like them both real well. We clip 2 toys and 2 standard poodles with these, sometimes all in the same day and the clippers do a fine job. Just remember not to let the clippers get to hot, which could burn up your clippers or even worse burn your dog. There is a coolant spray that you use to keep them from over heating or to help cool them down while using, which works great. Good luck with your new BEST FRIEND, I'm sure you will be best of buds.

·
Registered
419 Posts
He's such a cute little puppy! I'm sure you're very excited to be getting him. I really like the picture Secreto posted of a mascuine style of cut. I've never left the face longer but I wonder if you wouldn't have to scissor that rather than use a clipper. I'm sure someone else could answer that question.

Depending on how messy he is with his food, it might be easier to clip his face like that picture. I had bedlingtons for many years and can tell you it's a real pain for both you and the dog to comb dried food out of their faces :tongue:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Masculine is....

Hi, Bill:
I was just like you when I got my boy Alex. No foo-foo poodlishness for me, no sir!
Gotta tell you, though, you'll find your dog will display his masculinity no matter how he gets groomed.
It makes sense to keep it short and simple if you're doing it yourself, but sometimes a guy can look handsome with a lot of hair.
Alex has a lot of hair, long ears and head, but is still a guys guy, even at 12 years old, when I took this shot....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I want to add that

a nice little mustache on a male dog is

very masculine to add!

You just leave the hair near the nose longer.

Very handsome.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like to keep my standard boy's ears and tail short. This summer he'll be going short all over so he dries fast after swimming.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts