Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for passing that info along. We don't use those foods, but maybe the next time around we might. These days none of our food sources, including our human food sources, seem entirely safe. Time to start a home garden, I guess.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I didn't realize dogs could get salmonella. When people feed raw diets to there dogs that consists of raw chicken and meats. Couldn't they get salmonella from that then?

Has anyone heard about raw diet for dogs (aka Barf diet) and salmonella being a concern? Just curious.... :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a concern in raw diets and when feeding raw chicken you are supposed to have the freshest you can get, use stainless steel bowls and wash every thing really well. Also I believe that the Salmonella in the dog food is different then the one that comes from chicken. There are quite a few different strains of Salmonella.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I was just mentioning that to my hubby. He thinks that salmonella could only happen if the meat is not fresh.

We fed our dogs raw for awhile but found that it was conflicting with our other responsibilities. Preparing, purchasing and etc gets time consuming and we went back to dry food.

I have heard good things about it and our dogs liked it. They weren't too sure what to do with it in the beginning but soon figured it out. lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had never heard that dogs were susceptible to salmonella poisoning, either. But I don't think it is related to freshness... samonella are bacteria. Remember the tomato scare just this past June? It's a contamination issue (generally from human and animal feces). Even something fresh can be contaminated.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think I'd like to see more research before trying it. The time involved is also a concern. I travel a lot and don't think my family wants to mess with it. I will start choosing only grain free foods though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We feed Heath Wise which is the same manu as Evo, Innova, Cal Natural etc. Great food and the Health Wise is a fraction of the price. 30.00 for a 40lb bag. Grain free and my dogs love it. One of the only food's we have stuck with for many reasons.

http://www.naturapet.com/

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I love your pix in the avatar but would love to see a larger pix of your poodles - she is so beautiful. I love the party poodles!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts