Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in desperate need of help. My miniature poodle of 1 years 10 months has been marking in my parent's house. He's been potty trained at our/his home since 4 months old. We never have issues anywhere else, just my parents.

They got a new rescue pup recently who is about 3 years old. He has lived most his life outdoors from what we can determine. We know he's marking in the house and I think he's marking a lot more than they see. Then we visit and my dog (I suspect) smells the pee and thinks it's okay to mark in the house (since others are doing it). He stays with my parents some and they don't usually catch him doing it. I'm not sure what to do about this problem, especially when we/they aren't catching him doing it. Even if we do catch it and tell him no, does anyone have any tips for keeping it happening in the future. I caught him marking a cat scratching post recently at their house and told him no and got him outside ASAP, but he didn't show remorse or seem to understand he'd done anything wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have never had one of mine mark in any ones house, as they are friends not family, I would die, but when we visit they are required to lay on their blanket or sit on my lap.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
So sorry that i happening. I would be so embarrassed too but its likely being casted by the other dogs appearance in the house. Clean with an enzyme cleaner and maybe use on belly band on him when he is there.? I'm not sure as I haven't gone thru this.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
If your parent’s dog marks in the house, it is nearly impossible to keep your dog from doing it unless you keep an eye on him at all times.

Dogs don’t generalize. Even if he knows not to do it at your place doesn’t mean he’ll refrain from it in other houses.

The way to correct this would be to train your parents dog completely and eliminate all pee smell from their house. Since this is probably never going to happen, I would have your dog wear belly bands at your parents. He won’t make a mess anymore and it might even be enough to stop the behavior.

And your parent’s dog should wear them too, until he is housebroken...

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
First don't anthropomorphize your dog by expecting him to show remorse.

Next crates for both dogs when not tethered to someone at your parents house. As long as your parents' dog is marking there is no way in the world to expect your dog not to do the same.

The other thing that must happen is a very thorough enzyme based (Nature's Miracle or similar) cleaning of your parents' entire home. I would invest in a black light to detect every single drop of old dried urine. https://www.chewy.com/arf-pets-led-uv-blacklight/dp/149806?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Arf%20Pets&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_fTtp_W3QIVxcDICh33rAWwEAQYASABEgJClfD_BwE

If those measures fail to fix this problem then the only thing to do is as Dechi says which is to have both of those dogs wear belly bands at all times in the house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the quick responses. The belly band is something I had not considered. We're doing the other stuff, cleaning with the enzyme cleaner and using the black light. Using the belly band and keeping him tethered to me will be our approach to the problem for a while. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Along with these other steps, you might also consider tossing kibble and treats in spots where either has marked before.

ETA: after enzyming, of course :). Re enzyme, I think the world of Simple Solution. Whatever you use, saturate the heck out of the area; spritzing the spray here and there won't work if you've carpet. Have to buy by the gallon, and pretty much pour, so it gets down to the pad. Urine spreads out as it soaks down, so pour on the cleaner in a wider circumference that the spot itself.

p.s. Simple Solution is the best kitty litter box cleaner ever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts