Poodle Forum banner

Males vs females

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  KPoos 
#1 ·
I know everything depends on the individual dogs personality, but i was wondering if anyone has noticed a "trend" in m/f. I have only lived with male dogs. I love males! I love their devotion and "mamas boy" personalities. I am actually getting a female next though. What have you noticed in your males/females?

#2 ·
Gunther is my first male.
My previous two standard poodles were females.
I definitely see a difference.
The females were far more independent,more edgy,more bossy,more controlling.
Gunther is a happy go lucky 'momma's boy' that loves everything and everybody.

#3 ·
I have one of each and my male is "the alpha" no questions about it. He is always the one in charge when it comes to other dogs, the ones in the house and outside. He just has that confidence that he never fails to convey. But he is still a mama's boy. :) My female is really sweet and affectionate and feisty.

#6 ·
I agree, more of an individual thing. My sister's male is very loving but more independent than my girls are. Out of my three girls, Grace is a "mommy's girl', she hates not being where I am, she is not rediculous about it but definitely prefers me over anyone else. Ivy loves everyone and everything and, although if I walk away she prefers to go with me, she is happy to stay and visit with whomever she is with. Chantel, like Grace, loves to be with me but also is very forward. They all love to have attention and loving but they all are different about it. My sister's female is very, very affectionate and gets excited about showing it. My Ivy can be the same way at times. Grace & Chantel are more calm about their affections and will melt into me for hugs and snuggles. Billy is the same way as Grace and Chantel, he quietly melts into you for affection.

So, I don't see any gender driven differences in their personalities at all.

#8 ·
Only had Ginger for a short time but she was far more independent and not as family oriented as the males. She was very loving and sweet but this male puppy is amazing. He's so bouncy and sweet and you can pick him up in your arms like a baby. I haven't had female puppies so I don't know what they are like.

#9 ·
I prefer females, I thinks its mainly from growing up with only female dogs and all of the male dogs I have fostered or been around I did not like! I hate marking, hate it! Its gross and just no...lol I have a border with us who is a big black male who pee's on EVERYTHING outside, every time no matter if he just peed in that spot 5 minutes ago he will do it again, he is neutered by the way.

So yeah I like girl dogs!

#11 ·
Its really based on the individual dog but there is a sex traits that have been statistically studied. ( I will have to find data later) but they say that male dogs are more likely to bite than female dogs.

I have always had females. Just like humans females usually mature faster so they get more serious than male dogs quicker. Enzo is our first male and he likes to play way more than any female dog we have had. My friend had a dalmatian who was also a male and he too loved to play more.
( am referring to un spayed or neutered dogs) You also have to factor in the breed of dog as well because each breed will have different temperaments.

I was watching Jockeys on animal planet on friday and they said some pretty interesting stuff about fillies. The said that it is hard to get fillies in the Kentucky derby because once they start getting around 3 years old their maturity instincts kick in and they don't want to run anymore. Up until Friday I have heard of this ( I am not a horse person) but I always wondered why with fillies it was rare to see fillies passed 3years racing let alone in the K derby. They also said that over the 135 years of the k derby only 3 females have won !

This makes sense to me because almost all of the female dogs I have owned where not spayed.

#12 ·
I hope nobody misinterprets anything I say pertaining to the male vs. female thread because I LOVE all of my dogs, and any dog I have ever lived with, but if I was given a choice as a pet owner- not a breeder- of which I would rather live with, it would be a male. The most wonderful human-dog relationship I have ever erxperienced in 54 years of living with dogs was with my first Whippet, a male, named Asia. My Mom`s best experience was with her silver Standard Poodle male- Thinker, who resides with me since my Mom`s passing. There is something so sweet and pure about the love a male has for his people. They are completely dedicated to their humans. Females are wonderful and loving, but it is entirely different. I find a females biggest purpose in life is survival of the species, so even a girl who has been spayed has an ingrained need to look out for numero uno- and she will love you best AFTER you feed her. The boys are loyal, dedicated and as far as they are concerned, their humans, particularly the females of their households, are their GODS!! Thee girls have a bit of the attitude that they can manage without you. I guess it is an independence thing. The girls are just more independent. But for me, it is males, all the way.

#14 ·
Not sure if this is true or not but a breeder told me that females bond closely with one family memeber and a male will bond with the whole family. I've found this pretty much true with my dogs....my mother has 2 males (all our dogs are neutered) and for a while my father would travel for work and the dogs bonded to her more. Now that my dad is home they each have their favorites. I have never had a problem with marking. Even my little old toy never really was interested in marking. And the 6 mo old spoo has never marked (yet) bother were fixed at 5/6 months. I fostered a female for a while and she marked every 10 feet on a walk. :rolffleyes: and she only really liked me. For the most part, I like males not sure why.

#17 ·
Males tend to be more territorial and protective of the house whereas females tend to be protective of their person. Harry is neutered but he does like to leave his pee in different places and cannot not smell a place where another dog has gone. Males are funky like that but they are love bugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.