Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Mia, a 1,5 year old toy poodle and Chico, a 4 year old cockatiel
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questiona about male poodles (or male dogs in general)

Is it OK to neuter them at 6 months?

Do male poodles mark indoors?

Would an indoor potty place be a problem(pee pads) when a male poodle lifts his leg to pee? If the male poodle was neutered early and he peed squatting down, does the pee get on his legs?

I know people usually say to wait at least two years to neuter a male, but what about toys and minis? Having an intact male doesn’t sound good to me, since I have a female.

I’m curious because when I eventually add a second poodle (Even if it’s 4 years away) I think a female-male pairing would be better but I’ve only had experience with a female poodle so I favor the females over males at this point. Most of my concerns are about the house staying clean.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve thought about a female-female household but most sources say it’s a bad idea so...

·
Super Moderator
2,275 Posts
I think it will vary with the dog.

Pogo and Snarky were neutered at 7 months. Neither of them squatted to pee, ever. Galen, who is not neutered yet, was still occasionally squatting into his 11th month. None of my previous males, intact or neutered, marked inside unless another dog had already marked. Pogo wouldn't mark even then. Snarky would, but he gave plenty of warning, and you could warn him off. One of our spaniels was the same. I personally dislike pee pads, as I never want a dog thinking it's ok to pee where they can look up and see a ceiling. Of course, living in a single family house, it's easy for me to take the dog out.

Our mutt pups were both girls. They got along fine, but I think that was mostly due to the social skills of the dominant one. She knew how to be dominant without being a jerk. My sister has had multi-dog households consisting of all females. Again, the success has been due to the dominant dog having good social skills. Her boss dog laid down the rules for the rest of the gang, and everyone stuck to their lane.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Is your female intact? For minis it is recommended to wait until 12 months to neuter for optimal orthopedic health, though risks should be less than with standards. Some males leg lift at 12 weeks and others take 10 months. Some never do. It really depends on the dog. There are ways to make an indoor potty area that accommodates dogs that insist on leg lifting.

With poodles, a female-female household is usually fine but it depends on the individuals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@cowpony, my spayed Mia pees on her pee pads if she needs to go during the night, as well as early in the morning and throughout the day. I take her out two times and give her at least 1 hour of exercise if it isn’t rainy and she does her bussiness outside as well. It’s really convenient so I would train another dog for both pee pads and outdoors.

@Raindrops Mia is a 1,5 year old toy and she was spayed three months ago, although I think I would have done it earlier if she had been with me since she was a small puppy. The leg lifting is the reason I’m hesitant on a male dog because, uh, it COULD be accomotated but it’s not really ideal. I do like the male’s goofy personalities though.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Honestly it depends on the individual dog, I have had 7 poodles 6 toys and one mini, 6 were girls and the seventh is a boy. My girls all have been lovers and not all dominate in temperament my boy is sweet.
As for marking, my vet advised not to let the boy start in the house.
I also have a prepaid holder that has a built in wall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like if I were to get a second dog it would be a female. I’m not sure how Mia would react. She got “jealous” of me only one time when me and my mom pet a tpoo called Zoe. Other times with me petting a female dog didn’t get a reaction from her. She usually doesn’t care when I pet other dogs or when I give attention to my parrot Chico. Mia is usually a patient dog especially with my little cousin who insists on yelling at Mia’s face despite our warnings. Mia just gives a little warning growl or shows her teeth, other times she goes in her crate to be left alone. She loves playing with other dogs close to her size and is best friends with a medium sized mixed breed female who comes to the park every now and then. So another calm tempered female might be okay I suppose.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If your female is spayed, it doesn't matter whether you neuter sooner or later (if you did get a male). Even waiting until 9 months should be ok for a mini/toy.
My standard is almost a year and a half, he is still intact, and still doesn't lift his leg lol. He only once tried to mark in the house, when my female dog went into heat (he was a year old at the time). I noticed even before he started peeing and interrupted him to put him outside. Never tried again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cannot comment on when to neuter, I think it would be best to consult a vet about that.

As far as pee pads go, I have read many a warning to steer clear from them if you want your dog to understand that outside is where they are supposed to go.

Our standard Charlie (15 months, intact) squats to pee. I wish he would lift his because, yes, he does pee on his front legs about half of the time when he goes. I have to put him in the tub and wash his legs at least twice a day. Sigh.... I feel bad complaining because in every other way he is perfect. He is the most intelligent dog I have ever had, never does one single thing wrong. But man, it can be a pain!

He has NEVER marked in the house. Actually, he has only had one accident in the house since we brought him home at 5 months old and it was diarrhea on the day we brought him home which I believe was due to nerves. Luckily, he was potty trained before we got him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@CharliesHooman I can imagine it would be a pain, haha! I think I will stick with a female poodle, but don’t get me wrong, I’ve met some adorable boys as well! About the pee pad thing, many small dog owners who can’t take their dog outside as frequently use them. I haven’t had any problems with Mia in that concept. The balcony is her potty place, and she pees on the pads. She also always potties first thing when we go outside. So I consider myself extremely lucky!

·
Registered
24 Posts
@CharliesHooman I can imagine it would be a pain, haha! I think I will stick with a female poodle, but don’t get me wrong, I’ve met some adorable boys as well! About the pee pad thing, many small dog owners who can’t take their dog outside as frequently use them. I haven’t had any problems with Mia in that concept. The balcony is her potty place, and she pees on the pads. She also always potties first thing when we go outside. So I consider myself extremely lucky!
Yes, I do think my next will be a girl as well. But don’t get me wrong, I do adore him!

And I really don’t see that you should have to worry much about having two females. I know plenty of people who have two female poodles and they don’t have any issues. Especially, if the other girl you bring in is a puppy.

I’m glad you have had such good luck with potty pads. My aunt had great luck with a littler box in the garage for her two small dogs. I also have a friend who has a square patch of artificial turf in a box on her patio that her small dog uses.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I cannot comment on when to neuter, I think it would be best to consult a vet about that.

As far as pee pads go, I have read many a warning to steer clear from them if you want your dog to understand that outside is where they are supposed to go.

Our standard Charlie (15 months, intact) squats to pee. I wish he would lift his because, yes, he does pee on his front legs about half of the time when he goes. I have to put him in the tub and wash his legs at least twice a day. Sigh.... I feel bad complaining because in every other way he is perfect. He is the most intelligent dog I have ever had, never does one single thing wrong. But man, it can be a pain!

He has NEVER marked in the house. Actually, he has only had one accident in the house since we brought him home at 5 months old and it was diarrhea on the day we brought him home which I believe was due to nerves. Luckily, he was potty trained before we got him.
Just FYI they sell waterproof leg covers made for dogs that pee on their front legs. Easier to pop them on before a walk than wash afterwards. Might work in your situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just FYI they sell waterproof leg covers made for dogs that pee on their front legs. Easier to pop them on before a walk than wash afterwards. Might work in your situation.
Thank you! 🙂 I actually came across those a few days ago on a site called Pants For Dogs when I was ordering a top knot grooming pillow. I was considering them and was going to ask if anyone had tried them. Maybe I’ll start a thread and see what people think about that particular brand or if they found another they liked more.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Would an indoor potty place be a problem(pee pads) when a male poodle lifts his leg to pee? If the male poodle was neutered early and he peed squatting down, does the pee get on his legs?

I know people usually say to wait at least two years to neuter a male, but what about toys and minis? Having an intact male doesn’t sound good to me, since I have a female.

I’m curious because when I eventually add a second poodle (Even if it’s 4 years away) I think a female-male pairing would be better but I’ve only had experience with a female poodle so I favor the females over males at this point. Most of my concerns are about the house staying clean.
I have a new mail poodle well he's eight months old I've had him since he was about six weeks. In regard to their housebreaking indoors there is actually a place online I don't know if I'm allowed to list it here but I will tell you that they sell trays with real grass sod. My Parker gets new sod sent to our house right to the door every four weeks you can get it more often if you feel like you need to it is not a problem instead of hiking his leg out he just lifts it straight up out of the way I love the grass. When the new grass comes you just roll the old one up put it in a trash bag take it outdoors. The day I brought him home I set him down in the middle of my oriental rug to see what he would do he saw the new grass pad ran directly to it went potty and we haven't had a single accident. If I find out whether I can post that link here I will otherwise just go online and ask for real sod for your puppy. I am in no way affiliated with this company. You can buy various sizes I get Parker 24x24-in for $32 a month.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are waiting longer with our new male standard. Our vet is pushy about spay neuter, our red female is spayed and we would have loved to have had a litter from her. She is so smart and just all around great dog. I’m going to wait on the boy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have 4 female dogs & 1 male dog in my home. My male will be 2 years old at the end of February & has never marked in the house. He had 3 pee accidents & the 3rd one we were in a new house & he wanted to go out but didn't know how to tell us because everything was different. We verbally scolded, rushed to get him outside where he finished his pee & never did it again. We were tired & didn't read the dog. Our fault, not his.

I would not want a male to start peeing in the house. I have seen where people have taught their males to pee in the toilet & even taught them to flush. Pretty cool & if I lived in the city, I'd be figuring that out.

If you select a compatible personality of the new dog to match the dog you already have, you should be fine. The problem happens when people choose a second or third dog based on what's pretty or coat color without taking into consideration for the other dog. Some breeds you can't do that. I don't believe the Poodle breed will give you a problem no matter if you have 2 females so long as you have the right personality for your other dog.

Edited to add: I do not agree with early spay neuter unless there is a medical emergency/necessity or the owners can't or won't act responsibly concerning their dog. It's just not good to mess with a young animal's body while still developing. There are a lot of studies that provide data concerning the pros & cons.

·
Registered
39 Posts

It is not generally recommended to neuter a male before 12 to 18 months. I have waited as long as 4 years. This is to enable to brain to develop normally. The dog needs its hormones. If you are worried about a wandering dog, fence your yard. As for marking in the house? No. Once the dog is potty trained, there should be no problem. Poodles do potty train quickly.

As for getting pee on his legs, well, it's like this: My 9-month-old poodle lifts his leg and STILL pees all over them. He is groomed every 5 weeks, but in between, I stick him in the tub for a shower down and I wipe his legs after every pee. He's sort of getting used to this, but isn't yet resigned to it. It's costly, since he likes to jump on the bed. Had to have the comforters professionally cleaned and I have washable covers on all couches. Am still hoping he will eventually keep his legs dry. Otherwise, he will be hosed down periodically between grooming.

I usually have a second poodle in the house. Usually one male, one female. Good way to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@wartorn oh no! We let Mia on the bed too and sometimes she goes all the way up to the top and puts her butt on there. My grandma would go crazy if a dog in the house peed on his legs and then got on the bed. Definitely a no no. Two females is the way to go for us, when we have the chance to add a second poodle, that is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@wartorn oh no! We let Mia on the bed too and sometimes she goes all the way up to the top and puts her butt on there. My grandma would go crazy if a dog in the house peed on his legs and then got on the bed. Definitely a no no. Two females is the way to go for us, when we have the chance to add a second poodle, that is.
Well, I do have a cover sheet over each bed upstairs, and as I said, also couch covers. Lots of wash, but so it goes. Hoping he gets better with age.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Short answer .... depends on the dog. There can be totally great males, and totally great females. And the opposite. Huge amount depends on how they are trained. from the beginning.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts