Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is a difference between getting a male toy poodle or a female toy poodle.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Hopefully people with toys will chime in, but the personalities in minis and spoos are pretty similar. And for every person who says females are more x, you'll find an equal number of people who say males are more x. YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t find that male or female are much different as far as pets go. It all depends on how you train them. All poodles are fantastic. ❤🐩

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I think a lot of the perceived differences may be projections based on our own gender assumptions. But our trainer—who’s worked with more dogs than I’ll meet in my lifetime—believes males are a bit dopey (in a good way) relative to their female counterparts, who tend to be thinkers.

This one very small study seems to support that:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I agree males tend to be a bit more dopey and slow to mature. A bit more straightforward. But really these things are not very important in terms of being a good pet. Both make great pets. Individual personality will always vary more within gender than between gender. It matters more if you already have a dog because opposite sex pairings tend to be less competitive. But for one dog I would just look at personality.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
136 Posts
My male is silly, dopey, people oriented, and a velcro dog. Something very boyish he does is mess with his penis constantly 😂 (had him checked at the vet, everything is clear, he just adores his noodle). My female is independent, aloof, very smart, playful yet controlled, observant, and careful. I don’t think it has anything to do with gender though, I probably could’ve asked the breeder for a male just like her and in time it would’ve happened :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My male is silly, dopey, people oriented, and a velcro dog. Something very boyish he does is mess with his penis constantly 😂 (had him checked at the vet, everything is clear, he just adores his noodle). My female is independent, aloof, very smart, playful yet controlled, observant, and careful. I don’t think it has anything to do with gender though, I probably could’ve asked the breeder for a male just like her and in time it would’ve happened :)
Teenage dogs are not so different from teenage humans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts