Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this topic has already been discussed but I wasn’t able to find it, if so. Anyways, we are planning on getting a standard poodle puppy in December and are torn between getting a male or a female. Is there really a major difference between the two? We will spay/neuter but not until at least 2 years old. This will be the only pet in the house.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Welcome! And congratulations on your upcoming addition. :)

Will your breeder be matching you with a puppy based on temperament? If so, and if you don't feel strongly one way or another, I'd remain open to either sex.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I agree with PtP. There may be some slight general differences but it is more to do with the individual dog. For me currently I would find it potentially difficult to schedule around heat cycles due to my unpredictable work schedule. I'd hate to have to be gone at that time. Therefore I had a preference for a male. But that's a fairly minor thing. It is best to be paired with a pup based on temperament.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don’t think there’s really a huge difference between the two that’s not hormonal (heat cycle for female, territorial peeing for males). Me, personally, I like female dogs a bit more. I don’t mean to be so explicit, but the “lipstick” part that males have really creeps me out lol. I don’t mind the heat cycle so much.

This is my opinion, but I also feel like males aim to please more. Females seem a tad bit more independent and I like that.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I don't see big differences. Females can be more independent and opinionated, males more easy going. But as I type this, I can think of so many exceptions that these differences may be more situational than a reflection of temperament.

Females tend to be more in demand, which is a point in favor of males or at least, for staying open to whichever the breeder chooses for you.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
This is my opinion, but I also feel like males aim to please more. Females seem a tad bit more independent and I like that.
Females can be more independent and opinionated, males more easy going.
When I was looking for my pup, many breeders told me boys tend to show affection more/ be more needy/ seek attention more while girls may be more independent / less needy; however, all the breeders said it really comes down to individual temperament of the dog, be it male or female. The breeders I spoke with all said girl pups are in more demand than boy pups.

My pup Rocky is mistaken for a girl frequently, even though he wears a blue harness. His nickname is "cuddle bug". Honestly, I believe his temperament is more of the determining factor than his sex.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The breeders I spoke with all said girl pups are in more demand than boy pups.
I contribute to that demand lol, I feel bad :(

No, but seriously I think that could be because a lot of inexperienced people do look into breeding dogs with no research. So they assume buying a female dog is enough qualification for the hobby.

I do feel that female dogs are looked at as cash cows sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll admit I'm hoping for a girl puppy, but that's because I live in a houseful of boys. Zero desire to ever breed a dog though. It looks as if it's an insane amount of work to do the right way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll admit I'm hoping for a girl puppy, but that's because I live in a houseful of boys. Zero desire to ever breed a dog though. It looks as if it's an insane amount of work to do the right way.

Same! I really want to participate in confirmation and I always get mixed reactions when I state I don’t really want to breed the dog. I know that’s the point of it, but I’d rather have a really great co-ownership contract that leaves that situation up to the breeder.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Some breeders say females are more in demand and others say males. But good breeders never seem to have trouble placing either sex. I love my goofy adoring boy. But I could see getting a girl some day. Either sex can have hormone driven issues. Both have associated challenges. But I do think there is nothing wrong with having a preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone! Yes, our breeder will be selecting the puppy for us. Originally, I thought we wanted a male...I was thinking a male would be more affectionate & not as independent. Then after discussing it further, my husband & I thought “does the sex really matter?”

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
If it helps a bit, I've known aloof boys and cuddlebug girls. If we're lounging, it's rare Peggy's not touching or draped across some part of my body—a trait that didn't really emerge until her first heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personality is completely up to the individual dog. The only difference I've found is females tend to be smaller than males and of course the hormonal aspect.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Totally agree with everyone! Just find a pup that’s healthy and happy and you feel drawn to!!!

However..... I LOVE my boys!! I was more drawn to a boy, not sure why. But since I’m a young woman, I sort of look at them as my protectors and my shield in life. Not that a female wouldn’t give me the same feeling, but I really love the confidence my boys give me when I’m out with them.

I’ve never had an issue with them “spraying”, not once! They don’t mark in the house or outside in the house. They don’t pee in their beds or make their mark in them. They have never roamed away from our property (granted we recently got an invisible fence for peace of mind).

My one boy Norman cuddles sometimes, but is independent most of the time and loves me in his own way. He shows me love by literally jumping up and wrapping his arms around me for hugs!! Or by standing in between my legs, many many many times a day.

My other boy Loki is my shadow, x1000. He won’t leave my side, sleeps on my pillow, watches me while I shower, follows me any and everywhere and is so affectionate 24/7. He’s my baby!!!! But won’t hesitate to play outside with Norman for HOURS on end and act like I don’t exist LOL

They are my team! I wish you luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts