Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hello and welcome! He is certainly a very cute puppy, but he does look like he doesn't have a typical coat for a poodle. It is normal for poodle puppies to have loose, wavy hair, but this looks especially straight and stringy. He reminds me much more of a wheaten terrier pup, though those are larger. I would generally say that if you are in doubt, it's probably not a good buy. I strongly recommend buying from a reputable breeder that has registered parent dogs and completes all recommended health testing. I'm not sure about registries in other countries, but you could easily get info on it. Feel free to ask any questions we might be able to help you with.

This thread is a good read Buying a Puppy Safely - The Basics

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like a super cute pup. But I have to agree he doesn’t have the normal poodle coat. I have a
3 month old standard poodle and he has that fluffy wavy coat. When wet it gets curly. Excuse the dirt. He just had a dig fest. 😬

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
He looks more terrier than poodle to me, too - broad head, high set ears and the black tipping on his coat. Are his parents registered poodles? If you want to be reasonably sure of how your pup will turn out it is best to research the breeder carefully, and choose a pup from registered, fully health tested parents.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would have to agree and say not a full poodle. Here’s our pup at around 2 weeks old But you can still see the waves in the fur by 8 weeks it’s usually like the pic on my profile

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
His coloring is called sable which is a bit rare in poodles, and also has a melanistic mask aka a 'phantom'.The black tips on his hairs are the giveaway, and his coat color will possibly change in the first year or two, where his colors would. I'll go out on a limb here that it is his coloring that reminds others of the rougher texture as seen in terriers.

If you go to google images, and type in "sable poodles", you'll see examples.

Dr. Sheila Schmutz did a lot of work on poodle genetics. She has an interesting website called Dog Coat Color Genetics, and on this page if you scroll down to the Sable section, you can a couple photos and her summary of the genetics of this.

I hope one of our members, Jessica_ weighs in on this conversation, I'll PM her. She has a beautiful sable phantom named Bruno, and a oodles of photos of him from puppy to adulthood. You can see his color changes on her 52 Weeks of Bruno thread here. She also has photos of her mother's sable phantom poodle too where you can clearly see the black tips on his hair:

This was my moms sable phantom puppy London

And this is London now at almost a year

So Bruno is darker than her puppy picture I think so I’m curious to see if he will clear as light as her. Bruno’s dad was sable phantom but he is like a silver color almost with dark ears and the dark makeup on the face.

I agree with others that his forehead and muzzle appear a bit broad for a poodle, but it's plausible that's due to his coloring which could create an illusion combined with his young age. Also google images for wheaton terrier poodle mix. Not a perfect match, but coloring around the muzzle of some of the pups is very similar.

I'd also like to see:

1) How he walks. Poodles, even as puppies, have a very distinct way of moving their bodies.

2) His parents. What do they look like in terms of body structure and head shape? They could be solid colors, however, since the sable coloring could be the result of recessive color genes. If the breeder won't give you name and phone number of the owner of the stud, that's a red flag.

3) I'd want to know if the owner of the dam has an intact male dog on the premises that is not a full poodle. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye when an owner was distracted and another male can sneak in and breed with that female that's thought to be out of heat. Dogs are sneaky like that.

Another thought: What does your gut tell you about the breeder? Does she/he normally breed only poodles, have a website with photos of her other litters? Or is this a neighbor or someone you found in the newspaper who has this one female that she breeds periodically? For anyone: When looking for a puppy, pay as much attention to the home environment, the body language and tone of the seller as you do the puppy.

Final thought: he's awfully cute and looks alert. If you really like him, ask about DNA testing of the parents to rule out genetic diseases.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Hi,

He is very cute, but I don't think poodle would be my first guess.
On the other hand, here's a side by side with my mini boy at almost 9 weeks. We met our boys parents and two of his brothers (we ended up with a second one) and had no doubts that they were poodles, but just wasn't sure of Remo here. There are similarities, and it may just be the very cool coloring that makes him seem different, I just don't know.

Here's Remo's grown up face

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
When I first saw the picture I said to myself no way b ut after seeing Remo, I think he very well could be a poodle and that his distinct coloring is throwing everyone off. In reality it depends on where you are getting this pup from. Is this a reputable breeder, one who does genetic testing? In any case he is simply adorable.

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
... here's a side by side with my mini boy at almost 9 weeks. We met our boys parents and two of his brothers... There are similarities, and it may just be the very cool coloring that makes him seem different, I just don't know.
Rose, I thought of your poos after I posted, thanks for posting comparisons and of Remo all grown up.

Sosahpoo, no pressure, but that little pup is so cute and smart looking. We'd love to hear back if you visit the home and see the parents, and share with us what your intuition tells you about the breeder. Good luck in whatever you decide whether you get this one or another, or whatever questions you have, we're here for you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
An adorable puppy! Does not look anywhere close to a purebred poodle to me. That does not mean he would not be a wonderful family pet. He sure is cute.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yea he looks like a terrier poodle mix to me! He is very cute but doesn’t look full poodle to me! There’s really no way to know for sure tho just by these pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts