Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko NEEDS a bath, but I'm waiting for some supplies to get here. The last time I gave him a bath, it wasn't easy or fun, so I have a shower wand, bath mat, and lick pad in the Amazon cart. I plan on using liver that have been made into a paste on the lick pad, but I was wondering if there is any other way to make bathtime fun and more enjoyable. Sisko doesn't even come near the bathtub if there's water in it馃槩

P.S. Sisko may have hid his nail clippers too, so I have more on the way, but his nails have gotten long馃槩 I was wondering, how can I get him comfortable with a dremel too?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I found where Sisko hid his nail clippers, but I still need new ones because the safety doesn't work anymore and I need to get his nails shorter (the quick is too long)

Super Moderator
How about letting him go in the tub when it's empty to lick a bit of peanut butter off the walls? You can teach him "in" and "out."

Another tip is to put a towel or something similarly non-slip on the floor of the tub so he feels more stable.

And then maybe enlist your brother to feed Sisko a steady stream of treats while you bathe him? Gracie was terrified of baths her whole life until one day, in her senior years, I told my husband to just go nuts with her favourite treats. Give her more than we've EVER given her at one time.

I swear, from that day onwards she was 100% fine. It was amazing. She used to tremble so hard and she never trembled in the tub again.

Registered
I think the liver is a very good idea. When we were getting our dogs used to the idea of baths (they have to have them really regularly due to allergies in the family) we did training in the tub itself. No water at first, and then gradually we added other elements. They still hide come bath time, but they at least tolerate it. I did the same thing for the nails, although I used peanut butter instead of regular treats because I have cut quicks by accident before 馃槵. Unfortunately, I have no experience with a dremel, but I would guess the process would be the same as with a hair clipper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
How about letting him go in the tub when it's empty to lick a bit of peanut butter off the walls? You can teach him "in" and "out."

Another tip is to put a towel or something similarly non-slip on the floor of the tub so he feels more stable.

And then maybe enlist your brother to feed Sisko a steady stream of treats while you bathe him? Gracie was terrified of baths her whole life until one day, in her senior years, I told my husband to just go nuts with her favourite treats. Give her more than we've EVER given her at one time.

I swear, from that day onwards she was 100% fine. It was amazing. She used to tremble so hard and she never trembled in the tub again.
That sounds great!! I will start that.

Okay, I put a non-slip mat in the cart. Do you think that that will work?

Okay, I can do that!馃槑馃槑. Awwww, that's awesome!

Thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I think the liver is a very good idea. When we were getting our dogs used to the idea of baths (they have to have them really regularly due to allergies in the family) we did training in the tub itself. No water at first, and then gradually we added other elements. They still hide come bath time, but they at least tolerate it. I did the same thing for the nails, although I used peanut butter instead of regular treats because I have cut quicks by accident before 馃槵. Unfortunately, I have no experience with a dremel, but I would guess the process would be the same as with a hair clipper.
Okay, thank you!! What kind of training in the bathtub did you do? Did you do "in" "out"? Train what behaviors are expected in the bathtub? Make them feel reall comfortable inside the bathtub?

Super Moderator
That sounds great!! I will start that.

Okay, I put a non-slip mat in the cart. Do you think that that will work?

Okay, I can do that!馃槑馃槑. Awwww, that's awesome!

Thank you!!
As long as it's not slippery to poodle feet, it should be fine. A towel does work well, but it's a pain to wring out after.

Registered
Okay, thank you!! What kind of training in the bathtub did you do? Did you do "in" "out"? Train what behaviors are expected in the bathtub? Make them feel reall comfortable inside the bathtub?
We did things like sit and down, and we also let them eat treats off of the tub floor. When the water got turned on, we did the rapid-fire treat feeding like PTP mentioned. They鈥檙e small dogs, so they can鈥檛 really get in by themselves safely, but we did train them to 鈥榮tay鈥 in the tub since they could injure something if they hopped out and slipped.

Registered
With the nail clippers, I have only dremmeled once with a big dog and that particular dog was very nervous, so I had somebody hold his collar and hold a bully stick for him to chew on while I did the nails. With Misha he does not like the dremmel at all (it varies by dog) but is fine with clippers so I just clip them a little every week. I strongly recommend doing a little at a time every few days rather than taking it all off at once. It gives you more chances to prove to the dog that it's not something to worry about, and taking 1 mm off at a time will barely feel like anything to him. It makes a huge difference if you're using a very sharp clipper. I strongly recommend millers forge clippers. I have never used one with a safety.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
With the nail clippers, I have only dremmeled once with a big dog and that particular dog was very nervous, so I had somebody hold his collar and hold a bully stick for him to chew on while I did the nails. With Misha he does not like the dremmel at all (it varies by dog) but is fine with clippers so I just clip them a little every week. I strongly recommend doing a little at a time every few days rather than taking it all off at once. It gives you more chances to prove to the dog that it's not something to worry about, and taking 1 mm off at a time will barely feel like anything to him. It makes a huge difference if you're using a very sharp clipper. I strongly recommend millers forge clippers. I have never used one with a safety.
Okay, thanks, Raindrops!! I will get those instead, and will slow down on cutting his nails.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I know those clippers! We used to have them for our Greyhound. The lock got stuck because one of my brothers played with the lock and I had to throw them away.

Registered
You have some good ideas!

I find a lot of nervous dogs are triggered the most by all those terrifying noises we make when grooming them, I always put some music on,( dogs like reggae 馃槀 ) to help mask some noise and help everyone to relax.

With the shower in the bath hold it close to his body and stroke it over him so water is trickling over him and not blasting on him from a distance. Also water temp make sure it鈥檚 luke warm.

For nail clipping and dremmel try a snood, you don鈥檛 have to buy one, If you have a spare pair of hands get a towel fold it a few times and get someone to place it around his head and ears and hold it under the chin. give lots of treats, praise and distract him. snoods are great for nervous dogs. Also be over the top with praise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
You have some good ideas!

I find a lot of nervous dogs are triggered the most by all those terrifying noises we make when grooming them, I always put some music on,( dogs like reggae 馃槀 ) to help mask some noise and help everyone to relax.

With the shower in the bath hold it close to his body and stroke it over him so water is trickling over him and not blasting on him from a distance. Also water temp make sure it鈥檚 luke warm.

For nail clipping and dremmel try a snood, you don鈥檛 have to buy one, If you have a spare pair of hands get a towel fold it a few times and get someone to place it around his head and ears and hold it under the chin. give lots of treats, praise and distract him. snoods are great for nervous dogs. Also be over the top with praise.
Thank you!

I put on music while grooming too! That means that they have great taste in music! I like reggae too.

Okay馃憤!

Okay, thank you. I do have spare towels, but I think I should get a snood because sometimes no one will be able to help me.

Registered
for dremeling nails I put Poppy on the couch lying down...her legs stick out off the edge. I sit on a stool next to the couch and do her nails. Your helper can dispense treats as you work on nails. Do each nail a little bit and repeat every 4 days. The quicks shrink back between sessions. Poppy got confident enough to sleep now while I do her nails.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
for dremeling nails I put Poppy on the couch lying down...her legs stick out off the edge. I sit on a stool next to the couch and do her nails. Your helper can dispense treats as you work on nails. Do each nail a little bit and repeat every 4 days. The quicks shrink back between sessions. Poppy got confident enough to sleep now while I do her nails.
Okay, thank you, VK! Awww.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts