Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you are, a typical ad you see all the time. This is on usedregina - my local sale board. But I bet whatever board you look on - you find the same thing.

"4 year old female, 1 year old male and 4 month old male puppy. All are housetrained and verry good dogs. Reason for selling is I had a baby and dont have the time for them. Serious inquiries only. They are $200 each or $500 for all."

What she means is she got the dogs and now she is too darn lazy to look after them. Why do these people do it? And three of them too. I suppose when she got the four month old puppy (two months ago?) she didn't know she had or was having a baby!!!

Grrrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Right there with you!

ARRGH. Can we find this woman, and smack her??

I also have this pet peeve:

I HATE it when I hear someone is re-homing their pets because they are moving, or moving into a place that doesn't allow dogs. WHY would you move into a place like that??? There are plenty of places that allow dogs and cats.

And if you have to move overseas- well, that's 99% doable, too (unless you're moving to a war zone!). Your dog would rather spend a limited amount of time in quarantine rather than the rest of their lives without you.

Your pets are supposed to go where you go...

People can be selfish jerks.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
This made me mad today...

Out this morning with our running group; twenty people strong. We are running single file down the trail like we are supposed to. Coming towards us are two women and two Mini Dachshunds. Just as we pass, one of the Dachshunds cuts in front of the lead runner and gets under her feet. I'm second in line and I cry out, "Watch out little Dachshund!" (in a very nice voice I might add...)

The owner yells at me in a snotty voice, "Why don't you watch where you are going!" Really? There are twenty people in a pack of runners. Even if the first two people manage to dodge the dog, what is going to keep the rest of the pack from trampling such a small and low to ground dog?

Some people are too stupid to own dogs!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I hate the people who dump for excuses like the ones above. My parents adopted a Collie/GSD mix 6 months before I was born and we still joke today that Roxie (the dog) was my parents' first child. The dog loved me: she slept in my room by my crib, she followed me around the house, when I was learning to walk she would walk beside me and let me use her as a kind of balance bar (I'd put my hand on her back so I didn't fall...no hair pulling or anything like that, my parents taught me to be respectful of our animals). We found out when I was 2 I had extremely severe asthma/allergies/eczema and they said we HAD to get rid of our dog and cat. My mom got upset, I started screaming and my dad said to the doctor "Ain't gonna happen. What's the next option?" We were able to manage it with better filters, brushing the animals, baths and lots of vacuuming and that exposure is likely why I can be around animals with no problems, why I was able to work as a vet tech and TA at the college teaching farms, working on being a dog and cat behaviorist and why I can use a service dog to help give me more independence.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Talking about Dachshund, there are these two men who always (every single time I see them) walk their Dachshund OFF LEASH near where I live (Downtown San Francisco). Yes, even during peak hours when traffic is just crazy!! There were so many times that I heard people around saying, "Oops, I almost step on that little dog."

But yes, I just hate people who get rid of their pets because they are about to have a baby or have to move. The dog/cat is not a recliner: "Yeah, I cried on this recliner every time a man broke my heart and it made me feel like I am not alone in this world. But now I am engaged and moving and it doesn't go with the decor in my new husband's place so let's get rid of it in a garage sale." That is just wrong!!!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
We found out when I was 2 I had extremely severe asthma/allergies/eczema and they said we HAD to get rid of our dog and cat. My mom got upset, I started screaming and my dad said to the doctor "Ain't gonna happen. What's the next option?"
I am also allergic to dogs and have been told MANY times by my allergist that I should not own one. Well, that ain't happening! I would rather live my life sneezing than without a canine companion! Thank god for poodles :)

How can some of us do everything in the world to keep an animal, and then others give them away like nothing matters?

Sheesh!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Moving or having a baby or starting a new job or any of those other BS excuses are just that, they are excuses and really translate into "i dont care about my dogs".
If i got preganant you bet you ass i would keep my dogs, all THREE of them.
I recently started a new job and still have all THREE of my dogs and my HORSE.
If i moved i would take them with inclusing the horse!

People just think aimals are disposable and its sickening. If you really loved and cared of your animal then you would keep them and make it work!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hate the people who dump for excuses like the ones above. My parents adopted a Collie/GSD mix 6 months before I was born and we still joke today that Roxie (the dog) was my parents' first child. The dog loved me: she slept in my room by my crib, she followed me around the house, when I was learning to walk she would walk beside me and let me use her as a kind of balance bar (I'd put my hand on her back so I didn't fall...no hair pulling or anything like that, my parents taught me to be respectful of our animals). We found out when I was 2 I had extremely severe asthma/allergies/eczema and they said we HAD to get rid of our dog and cat. My mom got upset, I started screaming and my dad said to the doctor "Ain't gonna happen. What's the next option?" We were able to manage it with better filters, brushing the animals, baths and lots of vacuuming and that exposure is likely why I can be around animals with no problems, why I was able to work as a vet tech and TA at the college teaching farms, working on being a dog and cat behaviorist and why I can use a service dog to help give me more independence.
I was diagnosed with allergies/asthma when I was nine. I remember my dad gave me two options: 1. Get rid of my two beloved cats, and dog, or 2. Get allergy shots. I chose the shots.

We were also a military family, and hence moved ALL the time. Everywhere we went, our pets went with us. It was never a question.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
ditto !
I have no respect for people that treat animals like furniture! Everything is hunky-dory when they first get the pet, but boy are they ready to sell/dump it when they have a "lifestyle!" change!
Sure great to be here around dedicated, loving pet lovers!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - yes -- to have one dog and get rid of it because of a baby is a stupid crap reason -- but to have THREE - the woman must need her brains looked for.

I am such a suck. Yesterday on used regina there was an ad for an ex show dog six year old Shih-tzu. Because the woman I got my dogs from is the only person in Regina breeding and showing Shih-tzus, I knew it had to be one of hers. So I wrote and asked about the dog because I thought perhaps nobody would want the dog as it wasn't a cute puppy. She replied and said she has several applications. I replied that if she can't find a good home, I will certainly take it.

After all, a couple of years ago I had a Golden and three Shih-tzus. Since then my Golden got sick at 14 and Mickey had heart failure - and so both of them are not with me any more so I am down to two at the moment. One more would be fine - I wouldn't let her go to the Humane Society!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't understand how people can just get rid of their dogs. Especially if they have children. What type of example are you setting for your kids? If you decide to take on responsibility for something, especially a life, you can't just bail out when it becomes inconvenient. What does that teach them? That it's ok not to see things through to the end? That the most important thing is that you are not put out? My husband and I got married kinda young (we were both 20, and still in school) When I got pregnant a year later, we started looking for a bigger place. We finally found one that was pet friendly (we had a toy poodle, Darby) They wanted a 500 dollar pet deposit for her. This was like a million to us at that point in our lives, just starting out, with an unplanned baby on the way, and huge tuition bills. But what were we going to do? Mike got a second job temping for a telemarketing place until we had enough for the deposit. When you really want to make something work, you almost always can. I wish they'd just be honest and say they don't want the dog anymore, and stop making excuses for they're lack of responsibility and compassion.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I don't understand how people can just get rid of their dogs. Especially if they have children. What type of example are you setting for your kids? If you decide to take on responsibility for something, especially a life, you can't just bail out when it becomes inconvenient. What does that teach them?
When I managed the humane society here, we'd often have parents of older kids surrendering pets because, "The kids don't take care of it anymore. We want to teach them a lesson." WTH???? :wacko:

Several of our cats are "Katy's" cats and Meau is "her" dog... if there is ever a time she fails in her duties to care for the pets (she's almost 20 and has a very active social life :eek:hwell:) it falls to me or her dad to take care of them. When we agreed to welcom these animals into our home, we made them a part of our family. I would never even consider rehoming any of these pets because Katy missed a litterbox scooping or was out with her friends when her dog needed to go out (then we let Meau out with the rest of our pack since hubby and I have NO social life and we're always home! :lol:)

These parents who are surrendering the pets at shelters aren't teaching their children a lesson of responsibility, but rather one of IRRESPONSIBILITY! GRRRR!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree with everything said and yes, most people that are born in the society where "everything is disposable and replaceable" tend to behave like that.

More than 50 % of marriages end up in divorce - does not help with teaching kids about commitment either :rolffleyes:

Do not take me wrong - just saying that there are MANY wrong things in the society, in general IMO

I read somewhere that about 65 % of dogs (or more) are re -homed in the USA , so the practice is more a norm than an exception.

I just do not like putting all people in the same basket since if one is not in one's shoes, one has no idea what is actually going on. People many times make false story up to re-home a pet just so they do not have to go into "personal story" circumstances.

In CA , for example, there is 50 % rise in pet-rehoming due to economy and foreclosure rates. People can not find a FIRST job, not to mention a second one : (((. If one has to choose between a food for a kid or food and a deposit for a dog - what one can do??? There are no "food stamps" for pets , unfortunately : (((( and no low-income housing takes pets here , as far as I know *sigh. If one can find a nice and loving home for pet - I do not see it as "horrible".

Kicking it out on the street or keeping it chained alone in the backyard is MUCH MUCH worse faith for a pet - so I hesitate to jump on people who do "re-homing" and put them all into same category. Those people are at least trying to find their pets homes and not leaving them to fend for themselves, which happens VERY often : ((((

I also do not see much difference between that and breeders "re-homing" their breeding stock or retired show dogs :rolffleyes:, or dogs that turn out not to be show-potential after all, which is a common practice.:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I completely agree with what Wishpoo said...not everyone is lying maybe they honestly don't have the means to take care of a child AND a dog

IMO you shouldn't have a pet if you aren't able to donate a huge portion of your income to it...but this is coming from someone who works fulltime and has no bills of my own so ALL of my money is for Elphie...or there in case I need it for something for her

and about pet deposits for rentals, I know the rentals my parents own they've had to say no pets for the fact that they've replaced doors, carpets, walls, and in one instance a whole bay window o.o all because of "pets"...it just isn't economical to allow it... =\
so the people might not be able to find something in their area that allows dogs ((there are 30ish rental homes in our town, and only about 5 allow dogs))

I do believe that there are alot of irresponsible dog owners out there that absolutely shouldn't have them...but until you need a permit to get a dog like you do a gun it'll never change v.v;

·
Registered
106 Posts
I totally agree with you about financial reasons. It's much better to rehome an animal then to keep it without being able to provide the care that it needs. In my defense about the second job thing, this was 8 years ago, well before the current economical poo poo. I was talking more along the lines of people that give up their animal because they aren't little anymore (the grew up), or that they aren't well enough behaved (someone didn't take the time to train them) There are absolutely valid reasons for rehoming a pet. If it becomes aggressive with you or your kids for example. And I'm sorry if I grouped everyone together on my last post. Every situation is different. But to get rid of a pet just because your tired of dealing with it is selfish, and these people shouldn't have gotten a dog to begin with.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I totally agree with you about financial reasons. It's much better to rehome an animal then to keep it without being able to provide the care that it needs. In my defense about the second job thing, this was 8 years ago, well before the current economical poo poo. I was talking more along the lines of people that give up their animal because they aren't little anymore (the grew up), or that they aren't well enough behaved (someone didn't take the time to train them) There are absolutely valid reasons for rehoming a pet. If it becomes aggressive with you or your kids for example. And I'm sorry if I grouped everyone together on my last post. Every situation is different. But to get rid of a pet just because your tired of dealing with it is selfish, and these people shouldn't have gotten a dog to begin with.
oh no you're completely right anyone who gets rid of a pet because it isn't cute anymore is an idiot in my opinion, although I think rehoming is fine I think it should be the LAST step in a long list of possibilities and should NEVER be substituted with the dog being dropped off at the local kill shelter

if you read our local craigslist thats what all the ads say "We can't keep it anymore you must pick it by -insert date- or we're dropping it off at the pound" they give people ultimatums via the internet o_O

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I've seen that. Ads with such threats in them as dropping them off at the humane society or having them put to sleep. Those are really disgusting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wishpoo, you're definitely right, and the implied exceptions to what we were talking about should have been explicated. There are people who have had to give up their dogs, not because of a lack of love, but because they had no other choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts