Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or at least I think it was a seizure. Last time it happened I rushed her into the ER vet and they checked her out and said she was fine and that they couldn't say for sure it was a seizure, but suspected it was. She had another tiny episode in the car about a week after that. That was months ago.

Flash forward to today: We had just come home from the dog park. It was a warm day, but not hot. She and Frosty did not exercise any more than they always do (if anything, less). They didn't get a drink of water on the way out of the park, and we stopped to say goodbye to our friend for a few minutes before getting in the car. We got home, they drank water, and then Maizie jumped up on the couch. I immediately noticed she was off. This happened:

https://youtu.be/cl11yIxsWiU

She seemed aware of her surroundings, but would not make eye contact with me, was dripping in drool, so I put a towel over her legs, which she allowed (normally would put her feet on top of it), shaking like a leaf, swaying back and forth, and panting like mad. It lasted for about 5 minutes.

Then she came out of it, but was very clingy. I had my dad babysit her while I went to an appointment and she's been herself again (ate lunch, tail is back up, happy to see me at the door, etc.).

Until I see the vet, what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Oh dear that is upsetting. It barely seems like a seizure though. Perhaps her electrolytes were off or she was dehydrated and needed to cool down. I certainly deeply understand your concern and glad you have some video to show your vet.

Not much help, but a hug from afar for both of you.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
It doesn’t look like it did when Tamara had seizures at all. She looks dehydrated maybe ? Or was having tachycardia ? Hard to tell.

I hope it’s nothing serious. Probably isn’t but it would be reassuring for you to find out what it is.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Be interested to see what the vet says about the video. I wonder if it’s heat exhaustion? Glad she’s OK.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be interested to see what the vet says about the video. I wonder if it’s heat exhaustion? Glad she’s OK.
That is her breeder's guess as well. It's just weird because I've seen poodles run in 100* heat and be fine. It was 75* today at the park and she was in the shade most of the time. I should have taken her temp.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
It doesn’t look like a seizure to me either. It could be heat exhaustion, but I’m curious as to what your vet says.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I know from working with people who have seizures that there are different kinds and they look different. When my Matilda had seizures, she would shake really bad and not be in control of her body at all. Once the seizure was completely over (usually lasted under a minute), she would go back to normal behavior. It looked different than what was going on with Maizie. I hope showing the video to your vet will give you some answers. Good decision to record it. Hugs to you and your sweet girl.

PS...she has such a good brother that watches over her :)

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
It doesn’t look like either of the two seizures Buck had. He was frantic, disoriented, snapping and accidentally urinated. She presents anxious and possibly dehydrated. Was she in a disoriented state when it was over?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I thought about it and she looks to me like she ate something that she shouldn’t have, like maybe some grass that had been freshly sprayed with pesticides. This would have made her drool, maybe heart pounding, which would have given her anxiety.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I don't think it looks like a seizure either. Dehydration or heat exhaustion ? Curious to hear what the Vet thinks!
No matter what is was .......it was disturbing to 'you' and that does matter! It is always scary when you are helpless. Hope you find answers to put your mind at ease:hug:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know from working with people who have seizures that there are different kinds and they look different. When my Matilda had seizures, she would shake really bad and not be in control of her body at all. Once the seizure was completely over (usually lasted under a minute), she would go back to normal behavior. It looked different than what was going on with Maizie. I hope showing the video to your vet will give you some answers. Good decision to record it. Hugs to you and your sweet girl.

PS...she has such a good brother that watches over her :)
Thank you, Dogs. I'm so sorry Matilda suffered from seizures. Such a helpless feeling.

And yes, Frosty and the other dogs were a little concerned about their sis!

It doesn’t look like either of the two seizures Buck had. He was frantic, disoriented, snapping and accidentally urinated. She presents anxious and possibly dehydrated. Was she in a disoriented state when it was over?
Poor Buck :'( No, she was not disoriented at all afterwards.

Poor darling! I have no advice, just hugs
Thank you :love:

I thought about it and she looks to me like she ate something that she shouldn’t have, like maybe some grass that had been freshly sprayed with pesticides. This would have made her drool, maybe heart pounding, which would have given her anxiety.

Just a thought.
Yeah, my dad mentioned pesticides at the dog park, but I don't think they spray, and I really don't think she ate anything weird today. I was watching her like a hawk pretty much.

I don't think it looks like a seizure either. Dehydration or heat exhaustion ? Curious to hear what the Vet thinks!
No matter what is was .......it was disturbing to 'you' and that does matter! It is always scary when you are helpless. Hope you find answers to put your mind at ease:hug:
Thanks, Molly! :love2:

How frightening. I'm so sorry. Hoping the vet can zero right in on the problem. ❤
Thank you for your kind words, Peggy :)

Oh no I’m so sorry to hear this! Thinking of you and sweet Maizie. I hope the vet can give you some answers.
Thanks, Stormee. I will keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Wow, I am really sorry. That looked scary. When our dog, April, had seizures, she would lie on her side, thrash her head on the floor, and kick her feet like she was swimming. All of her movement was purposeless. Maizie, thankfully, was aware of your presence and her movements tracked yours in the video. She seemed distressed, but connected to the world.

There are different types of seizures, so I would show this video to the vet for sure! The vet will hopefully be able to tell you what happened.

Give your dog a hug from me, and I'm sending you a hug as well.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I am really sorry. That looked scary. When our dog, April, had seizures, she would lie on her side, thrash her head on the floor, and kick her feet like she was swimming. All of her movement was purposeless. Maizie, thankfully, was aware of your presence and her movements tracked yours in the video. She seemed distressed, but connected to the world.

There are different types of seizures, so I would show this video to the vet for sure! The vet will hopefully be able to tell you what happened.

Give your dog a hug from me, and I'm sending you a hug as well.
I'm so sorry you went through that with April, Click :( Thank you very much for your support and hugs--back atcha! :love2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
MF,

I'm sorry to hear Frosty had a scary time today. I did watch your video, and Frosty looks panicked. My thought was tachycardia (a racing heart beat). It can happen for physical reasons, and have an emotional side effect of a panicked feeling. If it happens again try putting your hand on her side where you can feel her heartbeat and count the beats per minute. A heart rate greater than 140 is considered tachycardia in large dogs.

Hugs to you and beautiful Frosty. I hope your vet can get you some answers.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh gosh! I just now saw this...haven't been around much today. Poor girl. Maybe 75 was too hot for her. Running and all may have made her over heated. I just don't know. But then again...you say she's pretty use to that heat. To me it doesn't look like a seizure. She appears to be incredibly wiped out and hot...her respiration is very fast...such hard panting. I think she looked a little bit alarmed and concerned about her state. (?) It took her a bit to get to the point of lying down all the way. Maybe low on electrolytes? It will be good to see what the vet thinks. I'm glad she got back to normal soon. I've had dogs (and my two kids) have seizures for various reasons. And with my daughter and my Lab who had seizures, they had a very noticeable post ictal stage where they're really weird and disconnected and it can last for a few hours sometimes. But that doesn't always follow or at least not noticeably. Anyhow, to me Maizie just looked terribly wiped out. I hope she will be okay. She doesn't have a heart murmur or anything like that does she?

When do you see the vet? I'd skip the exercise until afterward. And just keep her cool and resting. (((hugs)))

1 - 20 of 85 Posts