Poodle Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I am still trying to understand this little dog. Sometimes she is so fearful, and other times she is rather brave. I have a neighbor that has a little mutt (10 pound mix chihuahua and brussels griffon) and Maggies has just started to lick her outstreched hand. 9 months she has seen this lady! She will not let my other neighbor touch her, he is a very tall, skinny guy. He talks to her, and she wags her tail, but never comes to him!

I am still trying to understand this little dog. Sometimes she is so fearful, and other times she is rather brave. I have a neighbor that has a little mutt (10 pound mix chihuahua and brussels griffon) and Maggies has just started to lick her outstreched hand. 9 months she has seen this lady! She will not let my other neighbor touch her, he is a very tall, skinny guy. He talks to her, and she wags her tail, but never comes to him!
Dogs feels energy and they are usually drawn to people who have a calm demeanor and a good state of mind. Merlin has a severe anxiety disorder, but once in a blue moon (twice in 5 years) he met people who had just the right energy. They did not acknowledge him (as you should do with an anxious dog), but he went right up to them, wanting to be picked up. Then he stayed on their lap. That, for a dog who is scared of his own shadow and is totally obsessed with me and won’t leave my side, is short of a miracle !

I’m sure it’s the same with your girl. She knows who she can trust.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Thanks Dechi, It's interesting to watch her 'interact' with people she doesn't know. She follows repair people-back and forth. Never gets close to them, but very interested. I had a air conditioner repair man, and she wouldn't let him out of her sight. Wagged her tail when he spoke to her, but that was it! My dog acts just like your dog. I tell her "there is no way out of the bathroom, except this door" She accompanies me EVERYWHERE!! I have a woman that comes into help me with shopping and laundry, and Maggie has just started after 2.5 months, to warm up to her. She was able to pick her up last week! I must say this wonderful lady took her time, and did not 'push' Maggie. She let her come to her on her own time. Not many people want to wait 2.5 months to get comfortable with them!

My other toy poodle, Beckie, will go to people who come in the house, sniff their hand, tail wagging but will not let anyone outside of the family touch her. She looks very friendly, tail wagging, and people look forward to petting her but she never lets it happen...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.