Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do Nose Work with my rescue dog and our new puppy Maeby got to tag along and come to the show this weekend.
She was great and got to meet new people, new dogs, new sights, and lots of sounds! She was even good when we left her crated to run our trials. I was worried about that because she doesn’t like to be left alone at home but I think with all of the activity, she didn’t feel alone.

Hopefully Maeby can get into nosework when she gets older because my other dog loves it! In just a year we’ve moved up to AKC Master containers which is the highest level. We are also in Excellent Interior and Buried, and advanced Exterior.

Does anyone else here do scentwork?

(Don’t worry, Bowie secretly loves her little sister)

·
Premium Member
24,021 Posts
That is so nice you could take little sis. What a great social opportunity for her! Since nosework I think often relies of ==n working from your car as opposed to rally and obedience where usually there is indoor crating it is a much friendlier scene for unentered dogs.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don’t do scentwork, but I think that would be such an awesome thing to have your dog do, so mentally stimulating. Your rescue is extra lucky.

I don’t think my dog would be that great at it compared to other dogs... she’s not great at finding treats on the wide open floor at home. But I’ve never tried to hone that skill.

im glad Maeby did so well with the new experience and crate. Please tell me you are a fan of Arrested Development, lol. Also, what’s your rescue dog’s name? They’re both cuties.

oops, I saw the bottom caption, Bowie! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think my dog would be that great at it compared to other dogs... she’s not great at finding treats on the wide open floor at home. But I’ve never tried to hone that skill.
It's funny because Bowie is actually terrible at finding treats on the ground. She uses her eyes way too much! But once she learned "the game" she is so good at finding odor! We DNA tested her and she is part sheltie, beagle, coonhound (and many more breeds) so I think the sheltie gives her drive and she has the nose of a beagle. She's a super fun dog!

Please tell me you are a fan of Arrested Development, lol
And yes! We love Arrested Development! Her name also came from our indecision to pick a name... We thought we were getting a boy until temperament testing happened at 7 weeks and the female was a better fit for us. So we had only come up with potential boy names, and I was so indecisive about all of our girl names! So Maeby stuck!

·
Registered
716 Posts
That’s so interesting about Bowie having trouble like that because he’s using his eyes instead of his nose. I’m sure that must be what Lacey is doing too, even though it looks like she’s sniffing for them.

It’s such a good show. Since you were so indecisive on names, how perfect to choose that. Plus, it’s unique. 👍

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Yes, I compete in nose work. I also teach it. I meet the requirements to be a judge in several nose work venues and I’m deciding whether I want the responsibility and long hours.

Congratulations on how well your rescue is doing and kudos for taking Maeby along so she can socialize and get used to the competition environment. Poodles are fabulous at nose work. My minipoo is so fast that we usually earn placement ribbons when there may be 40 dogs running.

We start with puppies as young as 4 months, so do other clubs around me. Check with the age limit in your area.

Most people don’t realize that the way dogs are sniffing in nose work is hard work and they have to learn How to search for odor. Anyone who sniffs questionable leftovers of unknown age knows that extra deep breath you take while you are concentrating to detect anything off. That’s how dogs are working in nose work. You can hear them smelling and see them working. It’s not the casual way they sniff the yard. This is driven and purposeful.

Porkchop is right, dogs are often using their eyes to find things too. Dogs and people have prejudices where they think things are hidden. We train to break down both of our prejudices so the dogs are totally focused on odor. Training to hone a skill.

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think nose work sounds so interesting. Skylar your description was informative, and I never thought that dogs would have different ways of smelling, but it makes sense.

Someone told me at an outdoor agility trial recently that she was watching Misty (my Bichon mix) sniff her way around the ring (Instead of running the courses) and that she would be really good in nose work.

That comment took a little of the sting out of her sniffy, NQ agility weekend. Although I’m not sure how I would fit another dog sport in. This thing called work that I still need to do, really cuts into my training tIme!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts