Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I believe Kodi has a luxating patella in his right rear leg. He is a 2.5 year old 13.5-14lb Mini poodle. He has a very straight hind end, which I didn't notice when he was a puppy. He hop steps on occasion when he's out in the yard running. He has held his back leg up on two occasions for a few hours at a time. But the thing I notice the most, is he holds his back leg up when he goes down the stairs. I keep trying to get it on video, but the lighting there is very bad and you can't see his little black body. He hold his leg up every time he goes down the steps, and only puts it down on the landing before the last step. It doesn't seem to bother him.

Does anyone have any experience with luxating patella's and treatment options. We are trying to get into see the orthopedic vet soon. But finances and appointment availability have to line up. The person that was covering for my vet didn't seem to concerned but he does flyball. So I am a little more concerned and I don't want it to get any worse.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ive seen quite a few luxating petellas one even in a standard (well two really cause she luxates both), i would reccomend finding the best orthapedic vet in your area, they may or may not recommend surgury that will stablize the petella depending on the sevarity. I know a few dogs who have had it and they seem much better for it (ecspecially if they are active like yours)! and remember as for any limb issue, the lighter the dog the less stress on their legs and joints! If it were my dog and his knee really is luxating, i would opt for the surgury.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning for surgery, I feel like that is going to be the best option for him. He's only two, and showing no signs of slowing down. There is an orthopedic/sports medicine vet in my area that comes HIGHLY recommended. We'll see what they have to say. If anything they may be able to give me some ideas to strengthen the muscles to help stabilize the joint.

Oh Kodi is a nice healthy weight. There is no extra weight on that joint. He is my little energizer bunny. I don't think he has an extra ounce of fat, I swear he burns it all up. But it does make for one nice lean dog! We went to a high calorie/protein food so he would stop loosing weight last year.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Tynkerbell has patella luxation in both knees, but it is very mild grade 1 in her left and 1-1.5 in the right. It is not causing her constant pain, but when she runs she does have a tendency to lift the right leg. I had my regular vet examine her for this and since it is not causing pain during manipulation, I have opted not to get the surgery unless it gets worse. Her quality of life is not being effected by it so, with the agreement of my vet, operating can be postponed or completely stricken from thought.

See what your vet says during a physical exam, it may be like Tynk's and just bothersome but not effecting quality of life....just a thought. I hope all works out, keep us posted!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for those more up on poodle genetics than I am...

Is a luxating patella always genetic, or could he have developed it from an injury??

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry that you all have to go through this. I have nothing to add, don't know much except it's something to look for in minis and toys, had NOOOO idea Standards can be affected too AND be caused by injury.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sorry that you all have to go through this. I have nothing to add, don't know much except it's something to look for in minis and toys, had NOOOO idea Standards can be affected too AND be caused by injury.
In minis and toys patellar luxation has a strong genetic component. Actually they are the (variety) which is most affected with this condition.
One rarely has a Standard affected with unilateral / bilateral patellar luxation, it is mostly due to trauma or an accident of some sort.
If a standard is affected bilaterally, I would question its breeder to find out if the dog has any siblings or cousins/aunts who have ever been affected by PL.

This condition mainly runs in families of small low to the ground breeds, not the up on leg ones, who are more susceptible to hip and/or elbow dysplasia, the latter (elbow) also not much seen in poodles, but mainly in x lg. breeds such as rottweillers, BMD and Newfies.
Surgery done by a knowledgeable orthopaedic vet surgeon will correct the condition and the dog should be able to lead a normal pain free life.
I would highly suggest that anyone having a dog with this condition stop doing any sort of agility, flyball etc.. with the dog until such time the condition is corrected by surgical means.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dima has pat.lux after a accident on her right leg. The Vet graded it 2 but she never shows any signs of it. Her left leg is 0. So maybe I should have her graded again.
When this happend I asked her breeder to cheack out her parents and siblings and all where ok.

She is a very active dog but this does not bother her.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dixie, my Catahoula, has low grade LP that showed up when she was 1.5-2 years old but my ortho vet said that her low grade plus her high energy level didn't give the surgery a great chance to improve her life.
Instead, we did physical therapy and worked to build up the muscles in her as well as added joint supplements. It worked well, although a flare up was the cause of her retirement from service work. Once I gave her a couple weeks of serious rest, she was back to normal (although not back to work).

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of my toys had LP and I took her to the vet several times before they decided surgery was needed. She got to the point where she just lifted the hind leg most of the time. That was when she was 3 and hasn't looked back since surgery. She is 8 now. She charges round the garden with my 15 week standard. I also have her sister who didn't develop it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After my Dani girl had it done twice I thought whats the chance of it happening to Abigail also....different parents....diff breeder....before she was a year old the chance made itself real known....:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts