Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I've seen it mentioned here a few time and was wondering if Poodles can compete. Which venues can they compete in (AKC, PCA, UKC, etc)? A friend from another forum posted some video/pics of her two cockers competing in a JRTCC event for all breeds. It was so neat, her boys took to it immediately.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
ASFA and AKC are the two biggies when it comes to coursing and only sighthounds are allowed to compete. However, a lot of times, there will be practice sometime during the trial/test and other breeds are allowed to play. I have coursed all of my dogs and it is a blast. My Whippet has his ASFA Field Championship and is eleven now - too old to course now :frown: The dogs just LOVE it and it's great exercise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
lure coursing!!! *squeals a little*
I'm definitely taking my spoo to a field trial for a practice run sometime. AgilityIG pretty much covered everything.
If you go to asfa.org you can find local field trials, and you can pretty much always get them to run the bunny for you. sometimes there's a fee(like $5) but at the smaller ones there isn't, and we love seeing dogs other than sighthounds course :D I've even seen dachshunds do it, it's great.
As far as I know there aren't any organizations that actually offer titles for dogs other than sighthounds but it's still worth a trip just for the fun, and to see your poodle do something completely different.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
for a while there they were talking about reconizing weenie dogs to course because they are both hounds that hunt both my scent and by sight.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the replies. It's a shame that Poodles and other breeds can't compete for titles, but it's a neat sport regardless. Have you guys seen the Wiener Dog Races sponsored by Der Wienerschnitzel? They are too cute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts