Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, here is the most recent news about Miss Luna. My breeder and I decided (with very heavy hearts) to send Luna off to a professional handler so that she can earn her AKC championship. I would have loved to keep showing her myself, but the hair maintenance was getting to be a lot, and more importantly, there are very very few shows around here, and being the mom of a special needs child, I am not able to just travel long distances every weekend to shows. She has been gone for two weeks now and it was SO unbelievably difficult for the first while.

It is getting a little easier now because I have a “loaner” dog (hahaha) from Desert Reef Poodles. A beautiful 6.5 month old boy that Karen is letting me keep at my house until Luna comes back. He has only been here a day and it has been so amazing to have him, since my heart has been aching since Luna left. Her handler has said that she is doing great though and is a very happy girl.

This weekend she will be showing at a poodle specialty in San Diego and I won’t be able to go but am hoping to get some pictures from people who may be at that show. And then next weekend she will be in Farmington, UT and I will be going there to watch (and stay very well hidden until after she shows!) and of course will get a million pictures. I will post updates here on this thread as she goes to shows with her handler. In the meantime here is a picture of the adorable Atlas who is our new house guest!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Atlas is a quite a hunk! It is very nice that you are able to have him hang around with you while Luna is away. I am sure she won't be gone for long since she is really lovely and she will probably do very nicely for the handler. It is really the best way to finish a Ch. in AKC with a poodle. I look forward to seeing the points pile up asap.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy championship for Luna. I know another spoo owner (of a Safari dog) that made the same decision.

We only showed UKC with an HCC trim, but I wonder how I found the time for the nightly attention to coat even that required. Your loaner boy sure is cute!

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
Wow! What a handsome loaner poodle! I hope Luna finishes quickly and in the hands of a pro, she will.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Wow! Luna will be here in San Diego!!! I looked up the show and there are 14 Standards entered in the show, so Luna will have competition but not too much! Bet she will do well!!!!

P.S. Your 'loaner dog' is beautiful! Does he live up to the reputation of being a 'brown clown?' LOL!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I think you did the right thing - sending her off to be finished more quickly with a professional handler. I know you can't wait for her to come back home to you. Then you can shave her down and have fun with creative grooming.

How sweet to have a loaner dog while Luna is gone. Atlas is gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I am looking forward to new pictures of Luna! I can completely relate to your situation - I expect Zoe will go with Betty after the Amarillo shows. And she is sure welcome to the coat care! It's not like caring for a spoo, but I sure am tired of patiently removing those tiny mats that are caused by coat change.

Best wishes and good luck in San Diego!

Atlas is handsome. Is he a brown-brain (as in silly)?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Atlas is silver? :dontknow: Very handsome!

I can't imagine how much I'd miss one of my dogs if I had to send them out. Luna will finish fast and come home :) :love2:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much everyone for all of the love and support. Luna is such a huge part of my life (I mean just her coat care takes 6-10 hours a week) so it has been so strange and sad not having her around. First thing waking up every morning I look around the room for her, forgetting she is gone. And even just throughout the day I find myself looking around expecting to see her, before catching myself. I can’t wait until she is back home.

Sorry I definitely should have specified that Atlas is a silver - a dark silver boy. However silvers do go through a phase where their coats look brown (blues do also) and he really does look brown at times except for his lighter face. He lives up to the stereotype of silvers being sweet. I was expecting a big adjustment when bringing him home, but he fits right in like he has lived here his entire life. No accidents yet, nothing chewed up, stays right with me and listens when I tell him to come. He is a good boy. Karen does a great job with all of her dogs. We are lucky to have him for the next little while. And his coat care is going to be sooo much easier haha! Oh I also want to edit that his age is a little over 7 months, not 6.5 like I had guessed earlier.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And MollyMuiMa, yes the specialty is very small this year! Only 8 bitches I believe, which isn’t even enough for a major (there isn’t one in dogs either.) But in a way it’s good that it’s small since this will be her first time out with Daniel. I’m not sure what other dogs will be there but it’s possible that she has a chance, just depending on what competition there is! I wish I was going. I have an aunt in San Diego who I could have stayed with, but I was out of town last weekend and will be the one after this for her second show so I just couldn’t make it work : (

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It must be very hard without Luna but I’m glad you have gorgeous Atlas to keep you poodle-d. He reminds me heaps of goofy puppy Rory (though so much more immaculately groomed than Ro ever was!).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay all - we made it through our first show weekend with Luna on a handler and me moping around the house since I wasn't at the show. This was Luna's first AKC show since going into the continental clip. It was a poodle specialty in San Diego with low numbers. She looked pretty great but did not make it out of her class which was extremely disappointing to me. She was in the open bitch class, with two other bitches. She got second place both days.

Today though, the open bitch that beat her took Winners Bitch (and got the points) and Luna got to go into the winners ring against the other bitch class winners and she took Reserve Winners Bitch (fancy way of saying she took second place out of the girls entered.)

I'm not going to lie it was really depressing that she didn't get any points this weekend. However I have to keep in mind that it was her first weekend out with her handler and she will hopefully get better as time goes on. If I didn't miss her so much then I wouldn't be so eager for her to start winning.

I am super grateful, the owner of one of the other girls there (her girl is a GrCh Penndragon dog, like Luna's sire is) took some pictures and videos for me and kept me updated practically in real time. I am so grateful to her - if not for the pics and videos I would feel even more disconnected from this show than I already did feel.

She looks really amazing with her new trim. The handler made some adjustments and I think it looks awesome. I also feel like she showed well. This upcoming weekend I will get to watch her live, however I don't think I will be going over to her to say hello after she shows. I can't imagine the cry fest I would have when having to say goodbye again, and I also don't want to upset her.

Here are links to the videos on instagram.
Day 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bne23yIjtDB/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet
Day 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnhglLNh8Db/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet
On day two if you swipe or click, there are two videos to watch.

Also a photo of her before we went in the ring today:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnhbCPSDTDF/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hang in there - Luna looks great, so her day will, I'm sure, come soon. Is she showing this coming weekend (September 14-15)?

I leave for Amarillo on Wednesday (it's 315 miles) for shows Thursday through Sunday. Betty will handler Zoe and, if she thinks it best, Zoe will go back to Houston with Betty until she is finished. Zoe is rather small and very refined, so she will not appeal to all judges. There are majors every day in Amarillo, and I will be thrilled if we win one!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hang in there - Luna looks great, so her day will, I'm sure, come soon. Is she showing this coming weekend (September 14-15)?

I leave for Amarillo on Wednesday (it's 315 miles) for shows Thursday through Sunday. Betty will handler Zoe and, if she thinks it best, Zoe will go back to Houston with Betty until she is finished. Zoe is rather small and very refined, so she will not appeal to all judges. There are majors every day in Amarillo, and I will be thrilled if we win one!
Hey Johanna, yep she is showing 2 days in Northern Utah this weekend and we are heading up to watch. There is a major in dogs but not bitches, though there is a potential for cross over.

I am so excited to hear how miss Zoe does!! She will be awesome I just know! Would be amazing if she couldn’t pick up a major, or more than one. Fingers crossed for you. Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Wow Atlas is a big teddy bear. I just want to hug on him. I'm finding that I love poodle fur more and more just love sinking my hands in it but we have gone shorter to avoid mats and upkeep is easier. Many years ago I showed mini schnauzer and used a handler. Its lonely having them gone. I'm glad you have company.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Luna looks wonderful in her big girl clip. I think last weekend probably has a lot to do with her being with the new handler and that once she gets more used to being with him she will show very well. I hope she has great outings at this weekend's shows. I would definitely hide from her. At one point I had such problems with my knee that I could barely show in obedience and rally with Lily but had already paid for agility entries. I had two different other people handle her and I definitely had to hide. In fact I put her in her crate and left then had the other people take her out. She had a rough time at first, but later she got two novice standard legs with the young woman we trained with.

I know you are missing her very much, but I am sure this is a great strategy. I know someone who had been handling her mpoo herself with very limited success. After she hired a handler the girl got a GCh.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you ZM, Mufar and Lily. I have not been one to look forward to the weekends since normally my weekends are more hectic than my weekdays, but that sure has changed really quick having a dog out - now I can’t wait for the weekend every week! The waiting is killing me. This weekend I will have to take a nice camera with me and try to get some really great pictures.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, after all of this time, I have some GOOD NEWS about Luna!!!

She did it! This past weekend was a 2 day show in Northern Utah and there was a major in dogs. There was a major in bitches only if you counted the special. So you could get the bitch major if you won over the special, or if you got the cross over points from the males by getting Best of Winners. A bit confusing. We went into this having no idea what the outcome would be because we knew that there would be some good competition up there.

Day one was amazing. Luna's breeder (Erica of Munaut poodles) went into the ring handling Atlas (the puppy boy who is staying with me!!) and he ended up beating all of the other dogs (male) there! So he got Winners Dog and picked up a 3 point major! That was his very first time going into a show ring. So that truly is an amazing feat and we are so happy for him and his breeder Karen!!!

After that the bitches were showing. Luna only had one other competitor in her class, but then in the winners ring there was some heavy competition. She showed well though and pulled the win!! So at that point she got 2 points. But then she went in for the Best of Variety ring. There was one bitch special there (a girl who already has her championship, and I think her grand championship also.) And then Atlas had to go back in and then Luna. Well, Atlas was being handled by Erica, who is basically Luna's second mom. Erica and I had been hiding and avoiding Luna to this point. The moment Luna realized that Erica was standing right in front of her you she started going a little crazy hahaha. Thankfully Daniel knew what to do and was able to keep her mostly under control. She had to beat either the special or Atlas to get that extra point, and thankfully she did!! She got Best of Winners and Best of Variety.

Daniel took her into the group ring too! She did not place. (It is pretty rare for a class dog to take a group win.) But it was really fun to watch her in the group since it was outdoors and the other shows were inside. We were hiding really well so we didn't get a great view though. So day one was a major success with Luna picking up her first 3 points ever! The just was Randy Garren who has a heavy background in poodles, which made it an even more special win.

Day 2 puppy Atlas didn't take the win for dogs. But Luna was really on her game and after watching her show I wasn't as worried that she might lose. And she didn't disappoint! She took the same wins again! Winners bitch, best of winners and best of variety! Another 3 point major!!! The judge on day two was Dennis McCoy, the vice president of the Poodle Club of America. And he was very nice, taking time and going out of his way to have discussions with some of the owner handlers about their dogs. He really knows his poodles, he was able to say what he did and didn't like about each dog. It is refreshing to have a judge who really knows poodles, and both of these judges really did which made it special.

After the show on Day 2, Daniel wanted to get on the road so he didn't stay to show her in the group again. (He had a very very long drive ahead). I had asked him if I could come and see Luna after she showed and he said yes! So after she was banded up I went over and said hello. It was so special and I was so happy to be able to see her for a few mins! My breeder was there too and took some pics and videos which I can't wait to see. Sweet little Luna. She did so well and she really loves Daniel, I was able to see that first hand this weekend and he seems to really like her!

I am so happy and grateful that she is now akc pointed and has her 2 majors out of the way! Only 9 more points needed and we are pretty confident that she will be coming home soon!! Also it was SO NICE that I didn't have to prep or show her this time. Was nice to be at a show without that stress hanging over my head. Of course I was still busy the whole time and stressed a bit but nothing like I have been at other shows. I think this was probably the best thing and she will be finished quickly.

I did take a bunch of videos but they are on someone else's phone and I will have to wait until they are uploaded to post them. The angle isn't the best as I was in hiding the entire time and a little ways away. Also I forgot to take the nice camera, which is such a bummer because we didn't get any great pictures. I am sad about that. I will post here as we get the videos uploaded, and of course her win picture as well. (They only had a win picture taken the second day, not the first, as daniel had to prep a toy poodle immediately after standards on the second day.)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts