Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I am having a lot of fun with Luna’s grooming now that she is finished showing and has been shaved down. Now that I can just have fun with her grooming I have decided that the first fun groom I want to attempt is a bedlington aka a “poodlington” trim. I don’t think I will shave her tail down completely as I am not a fan of a completely naked tail. But here are some pictures to show her journey. It will take several months to get to our goal. Will see if I can handle the fluffy face for long enough to grow it out to where it needs to be. Pics in order from before first shave down to current and I will update this thread each time I adjust the groom.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
That’s the fun part of having a poodle to groom. You can do whatever you want including a faux bedlington clip which is going to look stunning on Luna. I can’t wait to see the finished groom.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That’s the fun part of having a poodle to groom. You can do whatever you want including a faux bedlington clip which is going to look stunning on Luna. I can’t wait to see the finished groom.
:yes: word for word, she is gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Skylar and asuk!

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
You can't do a poodlington without the shaved tail! Coward!
Haha, you've been challenged. It's only hair and it grows back.

I do understand how you feel - I love the German but will never groom Babykins in that clip because I don't want to clip her ears and would hate to have to wait for them to grow back.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha I *might* get brave enough to do it but I’m not 100% sure yet. Poodles hold their tails so different than bedlingtons do. And with a docked tail they are quite a bit shorter. I don’t think a shaved rat tail looks good carried up. However I will have to just wait and see as she grows into the trim.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Before I decided on a Spoo, I was all in on a Bedlington. I ran into my groomer before this happy occasion that never occurred, and he said he didn’t do Bedlingtons. Whaa? He finally relented, but said he was never satisfied with his Bed groom on the one retired show dog he had done. If you do poodles, you can do a Bedlington was my winning argument. Wish I had had you and Luna for “Exhibit A”!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, you've been challenged. It's only hair and it grows back.

I do understand how you feel - I love the German but will never groom Babykins in that clip because I don't want to clip her ears and would hate to have to wait for them to grow back.
Yes even I am a bit nervous to shave her ears off as I am really liking them this length. But I like the look of shaved ears more than shaved tail. I feel like the German would be a natural progression for when I get tired of the bedlington trim on Luna.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I decided on a Spoo, I was all in on a Bedlington. I ran into my groomer before this happy occasion that never occurred, and he said he didn’t do Bedlingtons. Whaa? He finally relented, but said he was never satisfied with his Bed groom on the one retired show dog he had done. If you do poodles, you can do a Bedlington was my winning argument. Wish I had had you and Luna for “Exhibit A”!
Lol honestly I think the bedlington trim is considered to be a pretty difficult trim - especially for someone like me who is not goodness’s at scissor work but the beauty of being able to be creative with Luna now is that hopefully my scissoring can improve with practice. I hope that I can do the trim “justice” on Luna and that it actually does resemble a bedlington trim!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
596 Posts
Love love love Bedlingtons! They were on my short list before we settled on Poodle Kid. Two things I couldn't overcome - first my husband never liked the actual Bedlington Show Groom and no matter how much I tried to convince him that you don't have to groom that way - it was a no go. Second the temperament of the BT was a big question mark - somehow I know better than getting a terrier..... Now I am playing with Louie as a Schnauzer - but Louie as BT has potential too! Watching where this goes for you - fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Moni, that was another reason I didn’t consider waiting for the next litter of Bedlingtons, DH thought they looked too weird. He would not have had any problem with the faux Bed, Luna:)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Mufar and Moni! Moni, the reason why I prefer a bedlington over a schnauzer or trim with a beard is that I hate wet beard hair when they eat or drink. I am loving the bedlington so far because the bottom jaw is completely shaved and I keep the top lip clean so no hair is long enough to get into her mouth.

I groomed her again today! (She is groomed every two weeks) I had extra time today so I did more than I normally would. I ended up taking off her bracelets most of the way (I hand scissored them.) And I shaved off her red heart rosettes with a 1 blade because the dyed hair had grown out too much to really continue trimming them (there would have been white patches in the hearts if I had just trimmed them). It was really a shock to see her without bracelets, as she has had fur there for her entire life. But it is growing on me. I love how it lengthens her legs and you can see that she is more square now.

I estimate that her next groom I will take off a lot of tail hair and possibly do the tassel ears. Enjoy the progression of pics from before to after.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like her long legs!!! Will be fun to see the final. She is so pretty. I wasn’t sure about white poodles when I first started looking for a dog but I love her.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much guys!!

Jenandsage I also did not want a white poodle initially but am glad to have her. They are a bit more to maintain, especially because whites tend to have softer coats than other colors so coat change is much worse. I also hate that so many whites have bad pigment. Luna is no exception to this which is why she will be bred to black to improve coat and pigment. However I have seen a lot of whites lately that actually do have good pigment so they do exist out there. Other than those two reasons whites are great. I love that you can read their expressions so easily and I love that I can see her easily in the dark - I would trip over a black dog so much! Haha.

Yesterday while decluttering I found some bows and had to take a quick break to pop them into Luna’s hair. They are very subtle, light gray. But cute. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you zooeysmom!

Today Luna was groomed again. I shaved her paw pads, bum, and bottom of her face and neck, then bathed her. After drying, I took a #3 blade and shaved her sides. I scissored her feet and legs and scissored a dip near her shoulders to start the illusion of a bedlingtons heavily roached back. I trimmed her head and neck a bit but didn’t touch her ears today. I want more head hair to give balance before I shave them. I took an inch off of her tail, but yeah I am not so sure still about doing a rat tail. I think it would look much better on a natural tailed poodle.

Enjoy the pics of her groom from before to after. I have really been enjoying scissoring on her with no consequences if I mess up. I hope I am learning how to scissor better through practicing on her. PS she mostly held her tail down today for pics because she is in heat now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts