Poodle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello poodle gurus. Came home from work today and noticed our 6yo standard, Finnegan, had a swollen lump on his face under the eye, above the top jaw. Seems a little soft and warm. He just got his teeth cleaned in Feb, so hope it isn’t an abscessed tooth.
I asked my son if he’d gotten a bee sting or anything today while outside. He said “he was rooting around in the bushes, but didn’t act any differently all day.”
He seems in fine spirits, has eaten and drank normally.
I called the vet and they scheduled him for a visit on Wednesday…didn’t sound too urgent or worried.
Would love some thoughts from the poodle team!
479796
479797
Head Dog Eye Dog breed Working animal
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Ear
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,464 Posts
As noted by Basil I would really make sure it doesn't feel hot or tender/painful to your pup. To me it looks like it could be an abscess and if that is what it is it could rupture and end up messy to treat. If an abscess he should start an atnibiotic asap. I hope he recovers easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
I would be too concerned to leave that until Wednesday. Is there anywhere local you can get him in? Or will your vet try to squeeze you in if you call them back and say you believe it is more urgent?
 
  • Like
Reactions: lily cd re and Liz

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
Joined
·
8,563 Posts
A swelling like that could an abscess, too close the the sinus cavity and dog brains for me. It's better to go sooner to a vet rather than later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A swelling like that could an abscess, too close the the sinus cavity and dog brains for me. It's better to go sooner to a vet rather than later
We can take him tomorrow to the vet urgent care. He’s happy, eating, not acting like it pains him at all.
My husband said he saw some horseflies out back, so we gave him a Benadryl. Seems to be going down quite a bit. Hopefully it was just a bug bite!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Just an FYI: Some vets will allow you to drop off without an appointment, essentially boarding the dog for the day so they can see to the dog when they have time between other appointments. Worth a shot to ask your vet if they do this, if only to avoid the higher costs of an ER or urgent care vet..

The vet i bring my pups to will do this, and have done this, for "urgent" cases in the past especially for known clients and/or clients who can't pay a couple hundred bucks just to get in the door at the emergency clinic. Two people i work with recently had health scares with their pets and they couldn't get an appointment so they dropped their pets off in the morning and by the afternoon the pets had been "squeezed in" and seen. They weren't charged extra for this service, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
I swell up like that sometimes when the mosquitoes get me. My first guess was bee sting. I understand horseflies bite hard so that seems like a plausible explanation, hopefully you're right. But it's good the emergency vet is an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good morning! I think we were on the right track with bug bite. The Benadryl last night and a good night’s sleep has the lump nearly gone!
We called the vet this morning to update and they felt confident that only a bite would have reduced by that much overnight and we should only worry if it comes back or if his behavior changes (eating, lethargy, etc).
Thank you all for your help and healing vibes! Finnegan is on the mend!
479828
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top