Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my boy is 9 weeks old today, and I noticed in pictures his breeder updated me with that it looked like he started getting ever so slightly lighter around his snoot at a month old, with his first face shave. She said she thinks he’ll stay dark (she knows more than I do,) but to me it looks like he’s started clearing, as his topknot has a definite line where his coat seemed to lighten overnight lol. (Attached a pic of his tk line closeup, photos aren’t as clear as in real life, though.)
So, my question is, is this normal for a brown, or is he starting to clear to silver beige or cafe?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Cafe poodles lighten over years the same way blues do, whereas silver beige will show the pale fur as soon as their faces are shaved as pups. So you'll also see the pale fur coming in the topknot.

So to me your pup looks silver beige, though the pale fur isn't as extreme as with some I've seen.

Edit: Another thought though, what colors were his parents?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have no hope for my brown baby girl to stay brown. Her first face shave showed lighter and after puppy fuzz was removed shot thru with light hair all down her back. Ears and legs staying darker, top knot darker as well but lightening. She's now 7 1/2 mos. Her parents were quite light and mom was a pale party but much brown listed in pedigree. Emma only has a true white miss mark on her chest, paws very dark, liver pigment in nose, flews, and around eyes. I'd have loved for her to stay dark but that is out id my control in nature's favor. I just didn't want a really clear white or grey to show the dust and dirt we live around here! After all, the color doesn't control her mind and heart! I'm sure it will be interesting as you watch you pup grow and clear as it will be for me too.
70870389_2355417371454887_1340958217957539840_o.jpg
20200208_135431.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Make, Luka is a silver beige parti
Grannyhorsesitter, Emma is a cafe au lait
Six month old cafe Beatrice
140910_0001.jpg

Nearly six year old Beatrice
20200308_191151.jpg

Mind you not all xafe au lait lighten this much

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok, awesome!

I’m not sure what his mom was, she’s white or cream but was most probably a dilute... They showed me a pic of his dad, he looked very similar to my boy except he was darker and has stayed dark. I also just noticed my boy has lighter hair popping under the brown patches in his body, too, it’s just not as easy to see cuzza all his puppy floof lol.

Grannyhorsesitter, your girl is gorgeous! And I feel you, we have red clay silt here so I already expect his feet to just be stained pink half the time ?

twyla, Beatrice is stunning, it’s amazing how much their coats can change! They look like completely different dogs sometimes after they clear, don’t they?

All the different coat clears poodles have remind me of the horse of many colors on Wizard of Oz lol.

Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
These are always my favourite threads! I love watching poodle colours progress.

Luka, Emma, and Beatrice are all so beautiful.

And Luka's pose reminds me very much of Peggy not all that long ago:

Hope you're enjoying this fun time with your boy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have no hope for my brown baby girl to stay brown. Her first face shave showed lighter and after puppy fuzz was removed shot thru with light hair all down her back. Ears and legs staying darker, top knot darker as well but lightening. She's now 7 1/2 mos. Her parents were quite light and mom was a pale party but much brown listed in pedigree. Emma only has a true white miss mark on her chest, paws very dark, liver pigment in nose, flews, and around eyes. I'd have loved for her to stay dark but that is out id my control in nature's favor. I just didn't want a really clear white or grey to show the dust and dirt we live around here! After all, the color doesn't control her mind and heart! I'm sure it will be interesting as you watch you pup grow and clear as it will be for me too. View attachment 465260 View attachment 465261
Yes, I had pretty much decided that would be her color but how much lighter wil be interesting to see. I wish we'r could adjust their registration papers to reflect the final color to allow breeders to better forecast the final colors for buyers. I didn't buy on just THAT color but darker and dustier final color the best. It will be what it will be. At my age I'll not be worrying about striving for a specific "next time" color. Emma and I are till death do us part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts