Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is Shamus in green...my husband who is a 6"4 260lbs Police Officer was so embarrassed to take him out to potty!:tongue:

This is him in the bathtub letting the color set.

This is a few days after. It came out a nice mint green! He is a cream poodle so his ears had a different tint.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The bathtub pic kinda looks like he is a really tiny pup in a toilet bowl :rofl: I always thought green would look terrible but he looks great, the tinge he ended up is really good.

It's Australia Day here this weekend, our national colours are green and gold, and he would be just perfect to take to the Australia Day breakfast we're going to on Monday morning :smile:

·
Registered
616 Posts
The bathtub pic kinda looks like he is a really tiny pup in a toilet bowl :rofl: I always thought green would look terrible but he looks great, the tinge he ended up is really good.

It's Australia Day here this weekend, our national colours are green and gold, and he would be just perfect to take to the Australia Day breakfast we're going to on Monday morning :smile:
he does look like he is in a toilet bowl!!! how funny

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
OMG...looks like the Grinch who Stole Christmas! LMAO! :rofl:

I love the few days after pic, such a lovely minty green, like
double mint gum. :tongue:

·
Registered
554 Posts
That is cute! I keep looking at all mine and thinking hmmm...

What did you use? I am thinking of "trying" it with kool-aid, since I am guessing that would be the easiest to rinse out if I don't like it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used food coloring. It's safe and it washes out in a few weeks...like 3 or 4. I used a big bottle and let it set on him for about 45 mins. I used it right out of the bottle...no diluting it. If it was watered down the color would have been even lighter! ugh! I'm gonna try red or blue next! Word of advice....wear gloves! It takes a while to come off your fingers too!:banghead:

·
Registered
616 Posts
That is cute! I keep looking at all mine and thinking hmmm...

What did you use? I am thinking of "trying" it with kool-aid, since I am guessing that would be the easiest to rinse out if I don't like it.
um, no it wouldnt!! :tongue: I dye wool all the time using Koolaid and itis pretty permanent!! Alos the kids have used it to do their hair and it stays in quite a while!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
um, no it wouldnt!! :tongue: I dye wool all the time using Koolaid and itis pretty permanent!! Alos the kids have used it to do their hair and it stays in quite a while!!
Thanks for the tip! That could have been bad...I have some cherry kool-aid and was REALLY thinking of doing some valentine's day themed poodles. I think Heidi would look cute as a pink and chocolate poodle...LOL!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I used food coloring. It's safe and it washes out in a few weeks...like 3 or 4. I used a big bottle and let it set on him for about 45 mins. I used it right out of the bottle...no diluting it. If it was watered down the color would have been even lighter! ugh! I'm gonna try red or blue next! Word of advice....wear gloves! It takes a while to come off your fingers too!:banghead:
How big a bottle are we talking here? I didn't even know they made food coloring in larger bottles. Where did you get it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its in dark brown glass bottle. Made by McCormick. It is a 1FL OZ bottle. Shamus is a small boy though...so keep in mind if your poodle is on the larger size you'll need to get more than one bottle. I used the whole bottle on him. I'm sure most of it went down the sink!:tongue:I bought it a Wal-Mart (of course!) LOL! :dog:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You are correct that cool aid is pretty perm. I groom a little maltese that is dyed pink or purple after every hair cut. The owners get him clipped simi short but still a bit of fluff. They only groom him every few months but they wash him inbetween. The coolaide stays put until I clip it off.

For real temp. easy to wash coloring, you cant beat blow pens, you don't even need shampoo to get most of the color from them out, just dump water on your dog and it disapears. The other easy to wash option is spray on food coloring. They sell it in the crafy or cake decorating section. Comes in a small arosal can. I haven't yet used it myself, but I hear it comes off easily.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So do the blow pens dye tend to rub off?

Just wondering what is safe for not coming off on everything...I have a red couch so I am just thinking of if I use something I don't want my whole house to end up tinted in the same color I did one of the dogs. LOL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The food coloring is best I think. I did a lot of reading on dying dogs before I made my choice. It is safe, last a few weeks(just long enough to not get tired of it!) and after I let it set(about 40-45 mins.) I rinsed him and used the blow dryer. He was dry and the color didn't rub off onto my light blue carpet or me!! LOL :high5:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
No, so long as they are dry the blow pens will not rub off. I have however read that food coloring may rub off onto hands or furnature. The article I saw that mentioned this as a problem refered to people boosting the brightness of coolaid colors by adding a little liquid food coloring to the mix.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Love the green, we are planning on doing that to Jenny for St. Pats. I almost did the blopens on Jenny, I thought the sidewalk chalk would come out easier. I was wrong LOL. 3-4 weeks is too long for me, so I won't be doing the food coloring. I never thought of the spray on food color, I use that to make 4th of July cupcakes every year, It's a real mess. Once its dry it will stay put?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't know how long it will stay put but supposedly it won't rub off??? I didn't even know they made pary on food coloring like that until I ran across a u tube video on coloring and that was what the lady was using to stencil.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts