Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know about any low or non shedding breeds that look like wolves?
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you mean pattern-wise, or just built like a wolf? There aren’t any dogs that spring to my mind that would be similar to a wolf that are also non or minimal shedding, as in order to get the coat, the dog must have an under coat that sheds heavily. I believe Samoyeds are considered to be hypoallergenic, but they shed intensely once or twice a year. The Alaskan Klee Kai is a smaller dog, and therefore would shed less, but also would blow its coat.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What floofy said... usually the look of a wolf comes largely from the coat. A non shedding coat won't come anywhere close to that. The closest you could get would be something like a Laekenois or Berger Picard but they still shed to a degree. Just less than most of the wolfy dogs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,
I was wondering about a white long-haired chihuahua, how much do they shed. Do you know about any low or no shedding small dogs. Size does not matter! 🙂
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
I am confused - both by the idea of a chihuahua being wolf-like, and why the question is being asked on a Poodle Forum. Perhaps if you explain what it is you are looking for in a dog and why we could be more helpful - poodles are non shedding and have a good, basic dog structure under the fluff, so if that is what you like a small poodle in a retriever clip may be the answer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am confused - both by the idea of a chihuahua being wolf-like, and why the question is being asked on a Poodle Forum. Perhaps if you explain what it is you are looking for in a dog and why we could be more helpful - poodles are non shedding and have a good, basic dog structure under the fluff, so if that is what you like a small poodle in a retriever clip may be the answer.
Baby white, long haired chihuahuas resemble a tiny wolf pup, when they grow up the start to resemble tiny, little foxes!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love poodles!🙂 But poodle have floppy ears unlike wolves or wolf-like dogs who have erect ears and I do not support ear cropping.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you think chihuahuas shed a lot, is it really a problem if they are so small? 🙂
Well... to each their own regarding appearance! Regarding shedding, that's up to the owner. Small dogs will shed less than large dogs, it's true. If you aren't choosing this based on allergy it may not be important. If you are looking for non shedding dogs with upright ears, there are yorkshire terriers and silky terriers, basenjis, and some of the other terriers.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
If you think chihuahuas shed a lot, is it really a problem if they are so small?
You asked if they shed. They do shed a lot. It’s for you to decide if it’s a problem or not. Everyone is different. I had a Chihuahua and didn't mind the hair terribly.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I love poodles!🙂 But poodle have floppy ears unlike wolves or wolf-like dogs who have erect ears and I do not support ear cropping.
And now I'm confused. Floppy ears are generally not ears which have been cropped. It's the erect ears that are more likely to have been.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
Well, when it comes to erect ears it is hard to beat a papillon - unfortunately they do shed, although it can be reduced with regular brushing, and are not exactly wolf like!

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
I think like would be wolf life looking would have a double coat and would shed, I love the look of the Swedish Vallhund nubby legged and wolf life cousin to the corgi

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, when it comes to erect ears it is hard to beat a papillon - unfortunately they do shed, although it can be reduced with regular brushing, and are not exactly wolf like!
Since they are small dogs they are only high shedding compared to their size, is it even a big problem for us?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Since they are small dogs they are only high shedding compared to their size, is it even a big problem for us?
Are you selecting the dog based on allergy triggers, or general mess? My JRT mix sheds a LOT relative to her size (and I told my parents when we got her nearly 10 years ago that JRTs don’t shed much compared to other dogs... Ha, hahaha. I’ll never live that one down...) but she doesn’t trigger my family’s allergies so long as I keep up with her. There is a mess that I have to clean regularly from her shedding, although it is reduced significantly from me Furminating and bathing her regularly. We also run the vacuum every day, and it’s manageable. You have to be diligent, though, if there are allergy sufferers, because the fur builds up if you don’t clean it up, and then everyone‘s a sneezy mess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you selecting the dog based on allergy triggers, or general mess? My JRT mix sheds a LOT relative to her size (and I told my parents when we got her nearly 10 years ago that JRTs don’t shed much compared to other dogs... Ha, hahaha. I’ll never live that one down...) but she doesn’t trigger my family’s allergies so long as I keep up with her. There is a mess that I have to clean regularly from her shedding, although it is reduced significantly from me Furminating and bathing her regularly. We also run the vacuum every day, and it’s manageable. You have to be diligent, though, if there are allergy sufferers, because the fur builds up if you don’t clean it up, and then everyone‘s a sneezy mess.
We are selecting the dog based on the mess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts