Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

I am so happy to say that since I last joined this community and shared my first post, I am now the proud Dog Mama to a gorgeous Standard Parti Poodle puppy:) He is now 11 months, and we brought him home when he was 8 weeks old. He is such an amazing dog; so sweet, but very funny and playful, even mischievous sometimes! We got him to be my ESA support/service dog, and soon I will be enrolling him in more advanced training for therapy.

While he's very well potty trained and does his business outside, he never really learned how to lift his leg to pee since he was born during the pandemic, and only was socialized with other female puppies when he was learning to potty outside. He, of course, doesn't lift his leg.

This, of course, is fine, however, I am wondering if there is still a way I can train him as he matures to avoid drying out his sensitive skin and taking multiple baths (ultimately, undoing his beautiful groomings)? If we cannot train him to lift his leg, what tips are handy for dogs who take deep squats to potty?

In the meantime, we've been leaving his sensitive area clipped longer, sometimes we try to move his arms out of the way as he mainly hits his elbows and everything below them, and will purchase some plastic arm covers:) Sharing a pic below because he's just too dang cute! :)

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Working animal

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
What a sweetie. Does he have a name?

My male minipoo puppy is also 11 months old. Silly age for a poodle boy.

Not all male dogs lift their legs to pee. If and when they do lift their leg, they just do it. They don’t need to see other males lifting their leg. My puppy lifted his leg at 8 months, others here had puppies at 8 weeks and some dogs were older.

Not all males lift their legs and that is perfectly normal. Some females lift their legs; they don’t have to see another dog to copy them.

It’s also not clear that lifting a leg will solve the peeing on themselves problem…. Sometimes it does, and sometimes they grow out of it. Those waterproof leg warmers are your best option for now and hopefully this is a stage that he will pass through.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
885 Posts
Not all male dogs lift their legs to pee. If and when they do lift their leg, they just do it. They don’t need to see other males lifting their leg. My puppy lifted his leg at 8 months, others here had puppies at 8 weeks and some dogs were older.

Not all males lift their legs and that is perfectly normal. Some females lift their legs; they don’t have to see another dog to copy them.
Lucky, my Standard Rat Terrier rarely ever raised his leg to pee (and always seemed so surprised when he did :ROFLMAO:). Simon, my SPoo puppy, started raising his leg at four months, but still squats half the time. I had one bitch who routinely raised her leg to mark, but not for just peeing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh my goodness he is darling. My little boy would sometimes lift his leg and other times would not. We just got in the habit of washing his legs with warm water after he went outside. He loved the warm water. He was tiny and needed a sweater on cold days so sometimes he needed a sweater change and a tummy wash. I kept Burt's Bees dog shampoo on hand and used a drop sometimes if there was a lot if pee pee. We went to the sink. But with a bigger boy maybe just keep a bucket on hand with a few drops of Hurts Bees organic shampoo on hand.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dublin didn't start lifting his leg until he was at least 3 years old. We used to joke it was because he was raised by a girl dog. Maybe that's true, who knows? His first leg lift was an oops - he was trying to pee on a stump during a hike, his leg brushed the stump and startled him into lifting. Thus he figured out he could lift his leg to pee on things he couldn't squat over.

Even now he only lifts on walks/hikes. But, thankfully, he outgrew peeing on himself. Probably around a year old? Now it only happens on occasion (like if he gets excited or distracted while he's already peeing.) As a puppy he would either get it on a paw, or on the entire leg, almost every single time. On one memorable occasion he got it on his chin. Limerick, now, is the same way. How much he pees on himself depends on how badly he has to go, how much he has to go, and how distracted he is while he's going.

I've started keeping an old rag and a bottle of spray shampoo by the back door. When he comes in i spray his front legs liberally and squeeze them dry. In warmer weather i had a jug of water on the back deck i would just dump on his feet (I also kept a shallow tub of water on the deck or by the front door if the dogs were going to be going anywhere they'll get muddy/dirty - a tub let me dunk their feet in to rinse off and they tolerated that more than upending a jug.)

I only wash his legs/feet when they're really gross. Usually every other week? I don't wash ALL of him, either, just his front legs (and maybe the back paws.)

I keep telling him that if he doesn't improve his aim i would be getting him some fancy leg protectors - and i would make them look as ridiculous as possible. But he doesn't seem to care. He might find some in his christmas stocking this year....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts