Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so over the moon in love with Oona. At just 4 months she is becoming a wonderful companion. She's super smart, loves learning things, and loves to be close - touching me if possible. She is growing into our family life more and more each day. It isn't easy and I know there will be challenges ahead (I mean, just this morning, she got into our room and chewed my husband's CPAP mask - oops) but I'm just overwhelmed with love and appreciation for her. Right now she's sitting by my feet chewing her toy, and periodically getting up to check in with me and get a pat or an ear rub, then settling right back down. What I am appreciating about her most lately is just how content she is to be in my company. It makes my heart swell. I feel like such a dork! Heading into what will be a strange and lonely pandemic winter, I am so glad we have her to keep us company (and keep us busy). What do you appreciate the most about your dog these days?

Her favorite napping spot is behind me on the couch with her head or paw on my shoulder.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
What a darling pup - and what a lovely idea for a thread!

What I most appreciate about Poppy at the moment is her continuing verve for life - she was so very ill early in the year, and her liver damage must sometimes make her feel yuck, but she is still instantly enthusiastic about food, treats, games and even walks (especially if she knows I have a pocket full of treats!). Every hour is a lesson in how to live contentedly in the present...

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Love the photo! And Oona sounds like a very special girl. Certainly more mellow than Peggy at that age!

What I most appreciate about Peggy right now is the way she brings joy to the house. It's relentless, the isolation. Aside from our weekly—socially distanced, masked, outdoor—playdate, my husband and I pretty much only see each other. Having this silly poodle to play with and dote on has been a lifesaver.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I appreciate all the things Asta does for me - he has grown up to be a loving, happy companion and is also my Service Dog. I love it when he is off duty and still wants to be by my side and cuddle.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Ooooh, I love that photo of Oona. My tpoo used to snooze on top of the couch with the cats.

I’m thrilled that my husband and I have Babykins to bring joy and excitement into our pandemic limited lives.

My husband gets up early and prefers to shower in the lower level bathroom. He likes to take 7 or 8 scent vessels downstairs with him to hide. He blocks off the stairs so Babykins can’t get to them until we’re ready. Once we eat breakfast and she’s gone out to potty, it’s nose work time.

She’s fast, lightening fast even in competition. She knows the routine and her excitement is palpable and infectious. Life is so boring at home having this little thrill is such a boost.

She races downstairs and beelines to the first hide with me struggling to catch up to treat. She buzzes around the rooms downstairs hunting odor. My husband can never remember where he put the hides, they can be anywhere on the floor, wall, furniture, inside things and up to 7 feet high so in large rooms, that’s a lot of territory. Thankfully she always finds the odor.

It’s fascinating watching a dog finding odor. You can hear them breathing, it‘s like when we take a deep sniff of something questionable in the fridge. It’s a physical breathing. My dog runs around in what looks like crazy circles but it’s purposeful. We can’t see odor plumes (like smoke plumes) she’s figuring out where smells are coming from and working a puzzle to find her way to the source of the odor, the hidden scent vessel. Those circles help her find the edges of the odor plume and where it’s more concentrated or less concentrated, once she solves the odor puzzle she heads to where it’s hidden.

She’s also a good excuse to get outside for a walk in all kinds of weather. I’m thankful we have her in our life and all our poodle friends here at PF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my own pup, but I also learn so much from my PFFs and their dogs! We have had our mpoo puppy Topper for just over a month, and he has filled much of the chasm in our lives created by the loss of our 16-year-old Papillon in July. I love watching this intelligent, sensitive puppy learn and develop. It's so rewarding to watch him master things like sit, fetch and other skills. We love to take him to the park on a long tether and let him sniff his way from tree to tree. I cherish the (few) moments of quiet time in my lap. The puppy aptitude test indicated that he is a very people-oriented thinker with a keen nose. It's fun to watch his reactions to new scents, like bananas, apples or burning toast. I plan to start him on scent work once he masters a bit more impulse control. Most of all, Topper brings me hope for a meaningful future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My puppy is such a Good Boy. He just wants to please us so much, and he tries SO hard. I am surprised by how much joy I’m getting from training him; I thought it would be more of a frustrating chore, but he responds so well. And I love just watching him play. He has a gloriously jaunty walk, and such a happy tail.

Best of all, I love the early mornings with him. I’ve never been a morning person, but he is always so delighted to see me, and we go out into the cold together and greet the fresh day. This morning, we watched two battling hawks over the yard, and I could feel his wonder and curiosity coming up the leash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the way that Jaanu curls up at my feet. I love the excited greeting I get every morning. I love watching him grow and mature, and how every day brings a new reason to be so proud of him. I love the way that he makes everything new and exciting. This weekend we took him on a little hike and took him to the beach for the first time. Seeing it all through his eyes brought so much joy to me and to my family. We love him so much.
128313042_3992159684145808_1276903803487292874_n.jpg
128278932_1091747011259919_142135466616843228_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I don’t know how I would have made it through this Covid isolation without Buck. I might have become chronically depressed without his daily doses of affection, cheerfulness and mischief making. He has to make a cameo on every Zoom or FaceTime call! He forces me to exercise and stay on a non-slacker schedule:”Wake Up! Wake up! It’s 5:00 A.M.!” Thankfully, he has a siesta after lunch and I can watch t.v., read or have a guilt free nap myself :)

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
105 Posts
Let me just say... I am SURE I will eat my words sooner rather than later when Apple goes through Hellion Puppy mode. BUT. I was so proud that FOR ONCE I had the dog in puppy class that everyone wanted to emulate. :ROFLMAO:

I've gone through so many obedience classes with so many dogs and it ALWAYS felt like my dogs were the embarrassing ones. I have NEVER had a dog be the star of the class. I know it's silly, but it is so fun and so rewarding that she is behaving well!

Maybe next week she'll decide it's cool to ignore me and poop in the middle of the gym but for the last two classes at least I have been able to enjoy this feeling. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love reading these all! ThePoodlesMoody, I totally get being proud and gratified to have the star puppy in class. I feel the same. My past dogs were also ... let's say, more "independent" (as in, they could mostly care less what I'm asking them to do). Oona on the other hand is the model student in class, which appeals to my little overachieving academic self. I know it's her, not me, though ... I've learned some more about training since my family pets, but she also makes it easy compared to other dogs I've known.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I appreciate all the things Asta does for me - he has grown up to be a loving, happy companion and is also my Service Dog. I love it when he is off duty and still wants to be by my side and cuddle.
How does he know when he's off duty? I feel it would be very interesting to read about the daily life of service dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts