Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Louie is one and a half now and has always slept at my feet. I put a blanket down to keep my white comforter clean. Lately I have been waking up with him literally under my covers with his head on my pillow!! It is the cutest thing I have ever seen, but I can't help but think it's a bit unsanitary especially because I will find actual bits of dirt! I have tried to keep him from doing this but can't seem to stop him from sneaking in and I'm a deep sleeper so I don't notice till the morning! Any advice on this? P.S wondering how frequently we can wash our little guys. I was told about every 12 days but would like to wash him more especially with it being summer time.
Thanks![

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Poppy sleeps in my bed if it is cold - I can't say I worry too much about hygiene. Every now and then articles are published citing rare cases where someone has caught something through sharing their bed with a cat or dog, but it seems to me one is far more likely to catch a disease from a human bedmate! I do take care to keep the animals parasite free, and to remove grit, seeds or other foreign materials that might make for sleepless nights, but I feel that a little grime is part and parcel of sharing life with other animals, and as long as you are healthy to start with just serves to keep your immune system in good order.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don’t know, besides closing your bedroom door or putting him in a crate.

I’m such a light sleeper, any little noise will wake me up, or light, or anything, really. It must be awesome to sleep so deep !

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
maybe rinse off his feet after the final walk and bringing him to bed? my neighbors have always had goldens and they religiously rinse the dog's feet off in the yard before bringing him in. feet are easy to dry, too.

Reactions: Viking Queen

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think it is totally adorable that he gets under the covers with you. And with his head on the pillow! How sweet. I would not worry for one second about the little bits of dirt that might come with him. As fjm says, you are more likely to have health problems sharing a bed with a human partner. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
We do "footie" baths often...it just keeps the house cleaner. I do bathe Poppy often as she is quite the little piggy and gets very dirty often. She gets a bath once a week, but if mud, dirt or smelly things are involved she gets bathed as needed....2 or 3 or 4 times in one week.

The key is the right shampoo. I use Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp Shampoo which is dilute 1 oz shampoo to 32 oz water. It cleans her well and does not ever dry out her skin or coat. Their whole product line is great. I have used this one for 26 yrs....my groomer uses their products in her shop too. Order on Amazon for best price. A 32 oz bottle of this shampoo lasts over a year, even with frequent baths.

Poppy does not sleep under the sheets with me but I don't think I would mind much if she did.:angel:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about dirt. Change your sheets often and be thankful for his part in expanding your microbiome. It is the reason why dog owners are generally healthier than the rest of the population - and also we tend to move more...

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Zeke doesn't get under the sheet, but he does sleep with his head on my pillow. It is the most awesome, sweet thing to go to sleep, and wake up, to. The sheets can be washed more often if you are worried about that. Enjoy you baby wanting to be that close to you... it's an amazing thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts