Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had parakeets since 1993, I lost two yesterday little Jughead, whom my mom insisted I get to keep Archie company 9 years ago, her companion 3 yr old Bandy died not long after I have one other that is not doing well little Amarillo. They do get attached to one another, 3 yr old Bandy and Amarillo huddled with Jughead till the end.
I am hoping Amarillo will bounce back today, the other birds 8 yr old Reggie, 3 yr old Vanilla and 3 yr old Mr . Jones are well and bright.
I know that parakeets don't live forever but I love the little birds
So please think good things for little Amarillo

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How hard :( I'm sorry Twyla. They don't live forever, but it really hurts when they go. Lots of good wishes for Amarillo!!

I had 3 budgies in university (two "rescues" in poor health - one had probably had a stroke and couldn't fly but was bright and active and loved to climb the outside of the cage, and my original, who was partially hand tame and would sometimes ride on my shoulder under my hair), lost both rescues within 5 years, then got a second budgie to keep the first happy when I was away. Lost my original one a few months prior to getting Annie (age 8, probably cancer :( ), and had to rehome my remaining 3 yo bird shortly there after because she was so depressed without her buddy, not singing, not dancing, not even reacting to the sound of the shower or the radio anymore. She went to a home with 5 other budgies, and they sent pictures that show her very, very happy, snuggled with a new buddy on a perch outside of the cage.

Do you have a heat lamp on him/available? I used to give egg food or cooked eggs and medicated vitamin drops in the water when mine were feeling poorly.

I really, really miss the sound of their chatter and them greeting me when I got home. They are such social birds, they really do miss their companions.

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
So sorry. Is it an illness, or just age and sadness that has caused it?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Hoping Amarillo does ok going forward.

My family had birds (parakeets, a few cockatiels, a canary) many years ago and really enjoyed them, but I remember it being so hard to keep them healthy! I think our oldest parakeet lived to be around 9.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Aww I am sorry to see sad news. Budgies are lovely little companions.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amarillo seems to have turned a corner, he is unfluffed for the first time in days and is eating again.
Hopefully this will be enough.
I do not think this is an illness, Jughead was older and keets do bond so I think Bandy was truly heart broken.
Currently the keets cage is partially wrapped to sooth, at least the other birds are back to playing and preening

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have had parakeets since 1993, I lost two yesterday little Jughead, whom my mom insisted I get to keep Archie company 9 years ago, her companion 3 yr old Bandy died not long after I have one other that is not doing well little Amarillo. They do get attached to one another, 3 yr old Bandy and Amarillo huddled with Jughead till the end.
I am hoping Amarillo will bounce back today, the other birds 8 yr old Reggie, 3 yr old Vanilla and 3 yr old Mr . Jones are well and bright.
I know that parakeets don't live forever but I love the little birds
So please think good things for little Amarillo
Sorry Twyla..I am sorry for your losses...I never realized that the birds bond to each other so I see the delimma, I hope Amarillo perks back up. I have a 20 year old cockatiel, I won't have birds again. I think I'm not in a happy place right now between the bird seed and always cat litter being spread I'm about through with it all. (though thats today, I may not care tomorrow , lol.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amarillo is doing better eating regularly moving around more so I am a bit optimistic.
Keets are a flock bird so they are attached to their flock, some are more attached to particular flock members than others, in the wild they fly in flocks that can number in the thousands.
Basically parakeets need companionship.
I am sad when they pass, I like the little buggers. I try my best with my avian husbandry, sometimes it's not enough.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Twyla..I am sorry for your losses...I never realized that the birds bond to each other so I see the delimma, I hope Amarillo perks back up. I have a 20 year old cockatiel, I won't have birds again. I think I'm not in a happy place right now between the bird seed and always cat litter being spread I'm about through with it all. (though thats today, I may not care tomorrow , lol.
My mom's cockatiel Sammy lived until he was 30, the parakeets kept him vocal company for the last 8 years of his life, I inherited my mom's cockatiels Georgie and Olie, I promised I would take care of them. I will admit they are tidier than the keets but I still prefer the parakeets.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Glad to hear Amarillo continues to improve 🤗 Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I haven't kept birds, but from friends who have, they seem to have big personalities and often reign over the household and all the other animals -- including the humans.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amarillo and Reggie
20200624_200046.jpg

Amarillo
20200624_200016.jpg

Mr. Jones
20200624_200119.jpg

Vanilla
20200624_200155.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hoping things continue to improve. They're lovely little things, their sounds usually so cheerful.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yay! glad to hear he's improved and was able to overcome his grief. Reading the comments I never realized birds can live so long.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What a relief! Glad to see his resilience. I hope you are also, metaphorically, preening and flying again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts