Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearly five month old standard poodle lost all four canines in 24 hours!!! Should I be worried???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yay! Thank you for your responses. I tried googling it and couldn’t find anything. I was so worried I thought something was wrong with her.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yay! Thank you for your responses. I tried googling it and couldn’t find anything. I was so worried I thought something was wrong with her.
Yay Poodle Forum!

Peggy's teeth were (literally) flying out of her mouth for about a week. And then we were done....or so we thought! Our trainer found a tooth where Peggy was situated in class last week, so now we're wondering if one was still hiding in there.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
In the meantime, here's a photo I just found online:

Some of them are tiny like rice, but others are indeed big! I always marvel at the jagged shape and imagine how painful they must be when loose.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That big one is called the carnassial tooth. It's the largest premolar.
Like PtP said, nothing to worry about. The incisors (front teeth), 6 on top and 6 on bottom, are usually the first to go. Then you have 8 premolars on each side (4 top and 4 bottom) that range in size from tiny to that huge one. Typically the canine teeth are the last- 4 of those of course. So that's 32 teeth to lose, usually within a month or two. Adds up quick and definitely normal for quite a few to be around the same time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I’m worried because I’ve never had a dog. I feel so responsible for her well being like she’s a little baby. That’s exactly what her teeth look like!!! They are so cute! When she lost the first tooth I thought it was a hermit crab leg, because we live by the beach.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I guess I’m worried because I’ve never had a dog. I feel so responsible for her well being like she’s a little baby. That’s exactly what her teeth look like!!! They are so cute! When she lost the first tooth I thought it was a hermit crab leg, because we live by the beach.
I get it. I still feel lots of puppy anxiety and I've had a bunch!

Groups like Poodle Forum are awesome, but I also recommend signing up for a class if you haven't already. The in-person support really is invaluable. Our trainer is a godsend, but I also love having the chance to chat with new and veteran dog owners alike. There's always something to learn. And sometimes it's just nice to commiserate. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She lost another premolar today!! She lost all four canines over the weekend.
I’ve taken her to a couple puppy classes but she gets pretty nervous because theres a lot of dogs and they are so excited. The main trainer likes to hear herself talk more than us. I don’t think she likes poodles. She’s always picking on Willow.
I finally let her meet my brothers 150 pound Great Dane and she did great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
She lost another premolar today!! She lost all four canines over the weekend.
I’ve taken her to a couple puppy classes but she gets pretty nervous because theres a lot of dogs and they are so excited. The main trainer likes to hear herself talk more than us. I don’t think she likes poodles. She’s always picking on Willow.
I finally let her meet my brothers 150 pound Great Dane and she did great.
Find another trainer! The Humane Society has drop in classes and play time in my city, but there are also lots of private trainers. We hit one bad trainer too, but we just moved on. You'll find life a lot easier, if your pup learns to get along well with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yep. That sounds like a very poor class, but there's sure to be a good one out there for you!

My favourite thing about our trainer is that she listens very well and is not the type to talk for the sake of talking. It's actually one of the first things I said about her, that I love how she wields her knowledge so gently, rather than bashing the room over the head with it.

She is also careful to match puppies according to energy and maturity levels, moving them to other sessions as necessary.

Don't settle!

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's definitely worth it to find a trainer that you and Willow connect with, if you can!
I am lucky I guess, most of the trainers and assistants at my training club are in love with Raffi. Maybe in comparison to many of the crazy doodles they see? Unfortunately today he did not live up to his star student status- he was barking and pulling at most of the other dogs today. So embarrassing! I'm pretty sure that he is off-kilter because my other dog is currently in heat. He's too young (6 months tomorrow) to be very interested but he has been super whiny, plus I have not been allowing them to play outside together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m having trouble because I live in a small town. The puppy class I’ve been taking her to is at the humane society. The other groups I’ve found mostly do clicker training. I tried doing it and having to always have a free hand for the clicker sucks. I’m just not into it.
Whenever people see Willow they ask what kind of mix she is and that she looks like a border collie. They don’t believe she’s a poodle.
I need to do something because I think she hit her teenage time early. She only will do what I ask if I have food. If we are in a new place or she’s fixated on something food doesn’t even work.(she gets fixated on things all day)
I’ve been trying tethering and she’s absolutely perfect. When she comes off the leash she forgets how to listen again. I guess it’s just going to be two years for her to get it right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts