Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had given a deposit to a breeder last year. When I delved further into the pedigree, I didn’t like what I saw. I asked for my deposit back and, of course, was refused. Then, I put a deposit on another litter but after being on this forum, became concerned that the hips on the parents weren’t up to par. So, I waited for the next breeding. I also decided on a dofferent sex and in that litter, there were none. This lotter, I was waiting to see if the breeder was going to keep the one boy and she ended up doing that. In the meantime, she sold the boys from another litter.
she won’t return my deposit either.
So, after putting out $1000, I still don’t have a dog and probably never will.
i think this business of breeders asking for non tefundable deposits should be outlawed. While I already had my deposit on a puppy since last year, people just went up to the breeders house, picked a dog, and I’m left losing my money! This is unethical. I don’t care what “justifications” breeders give.
Could anybody else keep money and not deliver anything for it?
Either breeders insist on my going in person to get the dog or this is what happens. This is unfair persecution.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
This lotter, I was waiting to see if the breeder was going to keep the one boy and she ended up doing that. In the meantime, she sold the boys from another litter.
Why can’t you have one from the next litter ?

I would never give anyone any money before getting what I’m buying. Whether it’s a dog or something else. It’s not a smart way of doing business on the buyer’s side. Unless you can be refunded, and even then, I would be very hesitant.

Did you pay with your credit card ? If you did, file a complaint with them and they might reimburse you if possible (depending on the contract you signed and the law).

(this is clearly not persecution)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I thought that breeders were very clear with deposit expectations for their puppies- either they will refund or they won't. This is something that needs to be clarified before giving money to a breeder.

Also will add that if the breeder did not give the expectation ahead of time or promised to refund the money, that you might threaten taking them to small claims court.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had given a deposit to a breeder last year. When I delved further into the pedigree, I didn’t like what I saw. I asked for my deposit back and, of course, was refused. Then, I put a deposit on another litter but after being on this forum, became concerned that the hips on the parents weren’t up to par. So, I waited for the next breeding. I also decided on a dofferent sex and in that litter, there were none. This lotter, I was waiting to see if the breeder was going to keep the one boy and she ended up doing that. In the meantime, she sold the boys from another litter.
she won’t return my deposit either.
So, after putting out $1000, I still don’t have a dog and probably never will.
i think this business of breeders asking for non tefundable deposits should be outlawed. While I already had my deposit on a puppy since last year, people just went up to the breeders house, picked a dog, and I’m left losing my money! This is unethical. I don’t care what “justifications” breeders give.
Could anybody else keep money and not deliver anything for it?
Either breeders insist on my going in person to get the dog or this is what happens. This is unfair persecution.
OMG, can you just STOP posting here with the same thing like a broken record....you have multiple, multiple posts, all discussing your problems with breeders and getting a puppy. NEVER, in all the years I've been in dogs, have I seen anyone with the problems you claim to have with breeder after breeder after breeder.....It's on YOU to delve into pedigrees in depth before giving a deposit - I got 4 or 5 generation pedigrees for the planned litters from the breeders I was looking at, went through them in-depth then and marked any questions I had to discuss before I even thought about putting down a deposit with anyone, including the breeder I ultimately bought from. Looking into the pedigrees also included checking into their health records including hips as well as other testing, so if I had a concern about any test results, again, I could ask before putting down a deposit. I also didn't change my mind about sex after I had put down a deposit and expect the breeder to comply with that change....When I gave my deposit, which was not $500 from the breeder I signed my contract with (or the amount requested from other breeders I was in discussion with BTW) the terms of the deposit were clearly spelled out in it. If I was not willing to abide by it, I would not have signed the contract, as I am sure you had the choice in doing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t “claim” to have these problems. I ACTUALLY have them. I don’t know why. That’s why I’m calling it unfair persecution at this point brcause that’s what it is. Because I can’t travel long distances, I get taken taken advantage and I don’t really care what tou want to read. Son’t read my posts. Nobody has a gun to your head.
OMG, can you just STOP posting here with the same thing like a broken record....you have multiple, multiple posts, all discussing your problems with breeders and getting a puppy. NEVER, in all the years I've been in dogs, have I seen anyone with the problems you claim to have with breeder after breeder after breeder.....It's on YOU to delve into pedigrees in depth before giving a deposit - I got 4 or 5 generation pedigrees for the planned litters from the breeders I was looking at, went through them in-depth then and marked any questions I had to discuss before I even thought about putting down a deposit with anyone, including the breeder I ultimately bought from. Looking into the pedigrees also included checking into their health records including hips as well as other testing, so if I had a concern about any test results, again, I could ask before putting down a deposit. I also didn't change my mind about sex after I had put down a deposit and expect the breeder to comply with that change....When I gave my deposit, which was not $500 from the breeder I signed my contract with (or the amount requested from other breeders I was in discussion with BTW) the terms of the deposit were clearly spelled out in it. If I was not willing to abide by it, I would not have signed the contract, as I am sure you had the choice in doing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, breeders know that it costs too much money to go to small claims court. Second, why not just have some common courtesy and decency?

I thought that breeders were very clear with deposit expectations for their puppies- either they will refund or they won't. This is something that needs to be clarified before giving money to a breeder.

Also will add that if the breeder did not give the expectation ahead of time or promised to refund the money, that you might threaten taking them to small claims court.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why should I be the only person on the olanet who can’t get a dog. I could have had my pick of other breeds. This is the only breed where I’ve experienced behavior like this but I can’t have a dog that sheds. I don’t find your comment amusing.
Bruh😑 other people and I have read your posts before. It sounds like you need to give up trying to get a dog. Maybe you can try a fish or something else?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did anybody get a dog or get on a list for a dog without giving a deposit? I have never rmcountered a breeder, who didn’t ask for one. However, if a breeder asks for a deposit, then sells the last puppy to someone who did not place a deposit but won’t refund my money, that’s unethical.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why should I be the only person on the olanet who can’t get a dog. I could have had my pick of other breeds. This is the only breed where I’ve experienced behavior like this but I can’t have a dog that sheds. I don’t find your comment amusing.
Maybe try your luck with Porties, though if any Portie breeders knew I said that they would probably put a bounty on my head:p:eek::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mish17, a contract is a contract. That's how it is. It would be a hassle for breeders to keep refunding money if people were constantly changing their minds, right? So usually they will move a deposit to one or two future litters. Breeders ask for deposits to make sure people are serious about getting one of the puppies, and that is fair.

I do not understand, though, why you changed your mind on the sex of the dog for the second litter if you want a dog that badly. Sounds like you could have had a dog. A breeder has the right to keep whatever dogs they want from a litter, and usually they let customers know that a male, female, or both are on reserve until they decide. I have seen this listed on breeder websites.

At least two people on this website have gotten older puppies from excellent breeders lately. In one instance, the breeder personally delivered the dog. Have you tried going this route? I know people have tried to help in so many ways on here, many, many times.

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
Members, I'm speaking as Super Moderator for this thread, and this is a gentle warning.

Please be respectful toward other members even if their problem triggers you. Insults and speaking to others in a demeaning manner is rude. If/when another member triggers your emotions that you become so annoyed that you cannot be civil, please simply do not respond to them at all.

Thank you,
Vita

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
However, if a breeder asks for a deposit, then sells the last puppy to someone who did not place a deposit but won’t refund my money, that’s unethical.
This depends on a timeline and the contract. For instance, a breeder might give a person until a specific date to make a decision. If the person doesn't give their answer by then, then it is fair for the breeder to move on to someone else who is willing to pay for the puppy and give it a home. The breeder should specify how many times the person is allowed to move their deposit to a different litter, or there is a refund. But it all depends on the contract that the person signed in agreement with the breeder.

I will add that I have never been through this process with a reputable breeder, but I did do some research on it for the future purposes. I do have a rescue dog, though, and I also had to put a "deposit" down on her adoption fee to show I was serious. This was a nonrefundable fee.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like you are shooting yourself in the foot somewhat. The point of the deposit is to basically say you have made up your mind. With your first deposit, when you changed your mind it might have been nice for the breeder to refund all or some of your deposit, but they were certainly not obligated to.
With the second breeder, twice you did not get a pup because of your own changes of choice. I don't see where that requires the breeder to refund you. If you knew she was considering keeping the only male pup, why didn't you just ask if you could choose a male from the other litter right away?
I do think you need to make sure you are 100% sure of your choice, as well as what you are willing to compromise on, before you make any further commitments to a breeder- whether that involves more money or not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think you've just had (possibly another?) $500-$1000 lesson in not being too picky.

I decided I was ready to get a poodle on a Tuesday. I had a LONG list of criteria I wanted in my potential puppy. I contacted a few breeders Tuesday and Wednesday, found out about a small breeder with puppies ready to go and contacted her on Thursday, set up an appointment/got supplies on Saturday, and drove 5+ hrs each way on Sunday (plus coordinating stopping to pick up more puppy supplies from a relative on the way there) to pick up a poodle puppy (no deposit, my pick of 5 remaining puppies from a huge litter) who met at least 85-90% of my criteria, from a breeder who I had a hard time getting off the phone, she was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and who has been great for follow up support.

I'm really pleased with my dog, and am very glad I didn't try and wait for a puppy that met 100% of my requirements (would have liked temperment testing on the puppies, and a performance title on the parents, but decided it didn't matter). If I'd waited, I'm sure that other breeders and other litters would also have had things wrong with them so they, too, would be an only 85-90% "perfect" litter (not enough socialization with kids, not had an older father, going home at 8 weeks instead of 10-12, or whatever else). I'm very happy with my (practically) perfect puppy.

I think you either need to relax your criteria - no puppy is perfect!!!- figure out how to jump on opportunities, or learn to live with losing money when you change your mind midway through buying a dog.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You knowingly gave non refundable deposits and then changed your mind afterwards. That’s on you.
you and the breeder sounded like you agreed on a specific litter if a puppy came available (and it sounds like that was made clear from the get go that that was IF a puppy came available and there were no guarantees one would) so why would she hold back puppies from a different litter?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts