Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on another thread, someone said they lost 7 lbs. the first 3 weeks with their mini! Has anyone else lost weight after bringing home a puppy/dog? Sounds like a good way to drop a few pounds to me!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yep, I have lost weight since getting Mitch. I had no intentions on losing weight, but I'm not complaining. I enjoy the outdoors, and they do too. I figure I walk anywhere from 5 to 8 km a day, averaging about 4 walks each per dog. But keep in mind, I do not have a back/front yard. That makes a big difference on how much exercise you have to put into exercising your dogs.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Beau takes me for a walk at least once a day. He tries to keep me from free-feeding, too, but we're still working on that. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I absolutely got a dog to help me with my weight loss goals. So far, I've lost 15 pounds and I have no intention of stopping. Having to take Teddy for walks forces me to get out and go even when it's hot/rainy/cold/snowy/whatever. These are times I used to think nothing of jumping on public transportation or hailing a cab instead of walking.

I think it's making me an overall better person, physically and emotionally.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've had dog most of my life, so can't attest to puppy induced weight loss. For me it's all about the food, garbage in, garbage out. ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I lost maybe 4-5 lbs the first 2 wks I got Nickel but that's not from the walk/exercise. I think it's from the lack of sleep and all the worries and anxiety. Before having Nickel, I used to go to the gym 2.5-3 hrs every day. But for the first 2 wks he was here, I didn't hit the gym at all and he didn't hv all his shots for him to go out for long walks. So the 4 lbs weren't from the exercises.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've had dog most of my life, so can't attest to puppy induced weight loss. For me it's all about the food, garbage in, garbage out. ;)
That's the thing though, with me, the missing component was exercise. I can regulate my diet, but over the years, the dieting cycle (and aging) has messed up my metabolism BIG TIME.

Being an overweight asthmatic, I feel like strenuous aerobic exercise might kill me on the spot, so walking is the answer, but walking without a dog is just boring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts