Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My partner and I are currently looking for standard poodle breeders that may have puppies available or on the way.
We live in Oxfordshire (UK) but are happy to travel.
Anyone who has any or knows of any breeders would be a massive help.
Thanks very much.
- Robbie Watson

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi and welcome!
You won’t find any quality litters available at the moment as most good breeders would have put breeding plans on hold due to the lockdown. I would advise you contact breeders about future litters, Champdogs is a good place to find breeders.
Avoid pet sites there are a lot of scammers, fake ads and back yard breeders on there at the moment.
good luck with your search

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vee, thanks very much for the advice! That makes sense, we've left a few messages with different breeders now. Hopefully we'll start to hear back when the lock down is relaxed!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Vee gave you Champdogs (duplicated in this UK resource listing) and here's what I've gathered so far:

United Kingdom

Home
The UK’s largest organisation dedicated to the welfare of dogs. We offer owners and breeders information and advice on dog health, training, activities and breeding
www.thekennelclub.org.uk

Kennel Club UK Health Testing Guidelines

Potential dog owners should be aware that, at present, the application of various health screening results to breeding programmes is not always straightforward, and breeders may make choices for various reasons. A responsible breeder though, will always be willing to discuss relevant health issues with you. Breed clubs are often useful sources of breed-specific information.

Toy Poodle
Schemes or advice relevant to this breed
The following schemes, tests and/ or advice are mandatory requirements for Kennel Club Assured Breeders. All other breeders are strongly advised to use these schemes, tests and/ or advice.
DNA test - prcd-PRA
It is strongly recommended that both Kennel Club Assured Breeders and non-Kennel Club Assured Breeders should use the following schemes, tests and/ or advice.
Eye testing
The list above is not necessarily comprehensive, other available health tests can be found at DNA screening schemes and results or for further advice please contact your local breed club.
From <Health Information for Poodle (Toy)>

Miniature Poodle
The following schemes, tests and/ or advice are mandatory requirements for Kennel Club Assured Breeders. All other breeders are strongly advised to use these schemes, tests and/ or advice.
DNA test - prcd-PRA
It is strongly recommended that both Kennel Club Assured Breeders and non-Kennel Club Assured Breeders should use the following schemes, tests and/ or advice.
Eye testing
The following other schemes, tests and/ or advice are available and should also be considered.
DNA test - OC
The list above is not necessarily comprehensive, other available health tests can be found at DNA screening schemes and results or for further advice please contact your local breed club.
From <Health Information for Poodle (Miniature)>

Standard Poodle
BVA/KC Hip Dysplasia Scheme
Eye testing

Breed Club test - Sebaceous adenitis
The following other schemes, tests and/ or advice are available and should also be considered.
DNA test - vWD
DNA test - prcd-PRA
DNA test - PRA (rcd4)

From <Health Information for Poodle (Standard)>

Breeder Listings

All UK

Champdogs

Champdogs Guide to Buying a Puppy

Pedigree Toy Poodle Puppies for Sale - Champdogs ®
Find the best Kennel Club Registered Pedigree Toy Poodle Puppies at Champdogs - The pedigree dog breeders website.
www.champdogs.co.uk

Pedigree Miniature Poodle Puppies for Sale - Champdogs ®
Find the best Kennel Club Registered Pedigree Miniature Poodle Puppies at Champdogs - The pedigree dog breeders website.
www.champdogs.co.uk

Pedigree Standard Poodle Puppies for Sale - Champdogs ®
Find the best Kennel Club Registered Pedigree Standard Poodle Puppies at Champdogs - The pedigree dog breeders website.
www.champdogs.co.uk

Kennel Club UK Find a Puppy

Find Poodle (Toy) puppies for sale

Find Poodle (Miniature) puppies for sale

Find Poodle (Standard) puppies for sale

Kennel Club Assured Breeders

Assured Breeders for Poodle (Toy)

Assured Breeders for Poodle (Miniature)

Assured Breeders for Poodle (Standard)

International
The Fédération Cynologique Internationale is the World Canine Organisation. It includes 99 members and contract partners (one member per country) that each issue their own pedigrees and train their own judges.

Poodle

Europe

Planet Poodle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much Rose n Poos, that's really helpful. I've heard they can suffer with eyes and hips so it's great to have the actual names of the tests. I think our plan is to contact the breeders on the KC list to see if they have any plans for litters later in the year!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Best of luck! If I, as I, learn of more resources, they'll be added to a list I'm compiling. The list is Stickied in this same forum but forum software bugs have made it impossible to edit for a while. I'm working on options :(.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I don't mean to hijack this thread but my partner and I are in a very similar position Robbiewatson.

We also live in the UK but closer to London and understand that lockdown has put a halt on most breeders plans.

I have contacted most poodle clubs by email and I'm awaiting responses but I am having a hard time time working out who to contact on Champdogs as there are currently 175 listed breeders in England.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? We don't expect to get a pup right away and are happy to wait for the right pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your reply Vee, the notification service sounds great and is something I will sign up to.

I had read somewhere (possibly on PF) that most breeders don't advertise their litters on the waiting list and therefore we would better off messaging them directly to find out more info.

I have written a covering letter detailing our situation and dog experience.
Should I just work my way down the list in order of distance?

Ps sorry for all the questions, your help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
358 Posts
It does work and litters were on there regularly before the pandemic. Yes contacting breeders is a good method as some breeders have waiting lists full (probably more so now).

I think the more recently active breeders, with detailed profiles, are at the top of the list by the look of it. I would just work down the list look at the profiles, you may find some aren’t what you are after. Going on distance might give you a list of inactive breeders but there’s no harm in trying. It may be time consuming but worth it.
Are you after a show dog?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your replies Robbiewatson and Vee, we are not after a show dog. We want a companion and a new family member.

I will follow your recommendation RE active breeders and have started receiving replies from Poodle clubs stating exactly what you have outlined above.

Hopefully Robbiewatson and I will be lucky, I will keep you posted if anything turns up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts