Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting a second dog sometime in the last half of 2021, so I wanted to start looking for and contacting breeders now (while I'm stuck at home lol). I was hoping that someone here would have some suggestions or personal experience with Spoo breeders in Texas or any surrounding states. I'm located in central Texas and am willing to drive 10-12 hours to another state for puppy pickup. I'd prefer to not deal with the hassle and personal anxiety of flying a young pup, but I'm cautiously open to it if I find the right breeder.

I'm looking for a medium-energy companion that would be a candidate for novice sports (agility, nosework, dockdiving). I am hoping for a true solid black pup as my current boy inherited the dilution gene (bye-bye rich chocolate brown, hello cafe au lait). I'm not completely opposed to a parti, but I also have horrible visions of two dogs with pee-yellow feet in my future instead of just the one I have now. I would love to find a breeder that leaves dewclaws on, but I'm much less concerned with that as long as all other health testing and titling is done.

I've asked the breeder referral contact from the Poodle Club of America club for my area and they gave me the name of a breeder already on my list, so I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience with any of the following breeders or has a pup from a different breeder they wouldn't mind sharing the name of. These are the breeders I've currently bookmarked:
  • Harwood Standards in Houston, TX
  • Donnchada Poodles in Magnolia, TX
  • Bar None Standards in Corpus Christi, TX (this was the breeder referral)
  • Figz Poodles near Austin, TX
  • Regency Poodles in Georgetown, TX
  • Cadeau Standards in New Orleans, LA
  • Pure Southern Poodles in Georgetown, TX
  • Rose City Standard Poodles in Tyler, TX
  • MoJazz Parti Poodles near San Antonio, TX
I have tried to contact Donnchada from the website form, but I never received a response. I am in love with Simon after seeing him stud for Harwood a few years ago, so if anyone knows anything about this breed in particular, I would love to hear from you!

I feel like this is super long already, so I'll just stop here. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might have!

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
Buck is a Bar None poodle. Nancy has taken her dogs to Westminster and Crufts, nicest person, always there for you and her poodle. Met two nice, Donnchada Spoo’s, one in Santa Fe, NM and PF’s WestU girl, Lola. I would also consider a NOLA poodle, if New Orleans is within driving range. Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buck is a Bar None poodle. Nancy has taken her dogs to Westminster and Crufts, nicest person, always there for you and her poodle. Met two nice, Donnchada Spoo’s, one in Santa Fe, NM and PF’s WestU girl, Lola. I would also consider a NOLA poodle, if New Orleans is within driving range. Best wishes on your search.
Thank you so much for replying! I'm glad to hear from someone who has a Bar None pup. If you don't mind me asking, what is the best method to contact Nancy? She is currently very high on my list because of several recommendations I have heard and I'm thinking about starting to reach out to my top choices.

I've also heard great things about NOLA Poodles from several people, but unfortunately reds aren't my favorite coat color. I thought I may have seen a black male on her website last I looked, but as it's currently down I can't trust my memory enough to be certain. I'll definitely keep an eye on her updates!

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
Call her, leave a message to call you back when it’s convenient. Mary and Buck sent you .

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Thank you so much for replying! I'm glad to hear from someone who has a Bar None pup. If you don't mind me asking, what is the best method to contact Nancy? She is currently very high on my list because of several recommendations I have heard and I'm thinking about starting to reach out to my top choices.

I've also heard great things about NOLA Poodles from several people, but unfortunately reds aren't my favorite coat color. I thought I may have seen a black male on her website last I looked, but as it's currently down I can't trust my memory enough to be certain. I'll definitely keep an eye on her updates!
Both Candeau and NOLA are great and NOLA at times also has blacks, Candeau does have inky blacks. There is also Melissa Whitmore of Starlite Poodles in West Monroe, Louisiana. I believe she at times co breeds with Donnchada. She is very responsive and helped me find my dog 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting a second dog sometime in the last half of 2021, so I wanted to start looking for and contacting breeders now (while I'm stuck at home lol). I was hoping that someone here would have some suggestions or personal experience with Spoo breeders in Texas or any surrounding states. I'm located in central Texas and am willing to drive 10-12 hours to another state for puppy pickup. I'd prefer to not deal with the hassle and personal anxiety of flying a young pup, but I'm cautiously open to it if I find the right breeder.

I'm looking for a medium-energy companion that would be a candidate for novice sports (agility, nosework, dockdiving). I am hoping for a true solid black pup as my current boy inherited the dilution gene (bye-bye rich chocolate brown, hello cafe au lait). I'm not completely opposed to a parti, but I also have horrible visions of two dogs with pee-yellow feet in my future instead of just the one I have now. I would love to find a breeder that leaves dewclaws on, but I'm much less concerned with that as long as all other health testing and titling is done.

I've asked the breeder referral contact from the Poodle Club of America club for my area and they gave me the name of a breeder already on my list, so I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience with any of the following breeders or has a pup from a different breeder they wouldn't mind sharing the name of. These are the breeders I've currently bookmarked:
  • Harwood Standards in Houston, TX
  • Donnchada Poodles in Magnolia, TX
  • Bar None Standards in Corpus Christi, TX (this was the breeder referral)
  • Figz Poodles near Austin, TX
  • Regency Poodles in Georgetown, TX
  • Cadeau Standards in New Orleans, LA
  • Pure Southern Poodles in Georgetown, TX
  • Rose City Standard Poodles in Tyler, TX
  • MoJazz Parti Poodles near San Antonio, TX
I have tried to contact Donnchada from the website form, but I never received a response. I am in love with Simon after seeing him stud for Harwood a few years ago, so if anyone knows anything about this breed in particular, I would love to hear from you!

I feel like this is super long already, so I'll just stop here. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might have!
Regarding Donnchada - call Betty Brown at 713-305-0120. That works much better than her email! I have known Betty for 40 years or more and currently have a miniature poodle that she bred.

I checked out all the breeders you listed and they all seem reputable. I did notice that a couple of them breed parti-colored poodles. Since I am a long-time poodle person, I have a hard time accepting parti-colored poodles - I see them as mis-marks because the poodle standards of almost every country specify solid colors only.

I hope you find the poodle of your dreams and that you enjoy many years with him/her.

Best wishes!
Johanna

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting my service dog from Figz Poodles was the best decision I have ever made. They are so so invested in matching you with the perfect puppy through temperament testing. You just tell them exactly what kind of dog you want and they will make sure you get the best possible match. Puppies come home knowing a handful of basic commands and are EXTREMELY well socialized. Tanya and Kerry care about their puppies so dearly. Once you have a FigzPoodle you are officially apart of the family and we will all be here for you anytime 😊

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Call her, leave a message to call you back when it’s convenient. Mary and Buck sent you .
Thank you! I'm learning that calling seems to be the best method for contacting most everyone. Time to get over my mild phone anxiety. 😅

Both Candeau and NOLA are great and NOLA at times also has blacks, Candeau does have inky blacks. There is also Melissa Whitmore of Starlite Poodles in West Monroe, Louisiana. I believe she at times co breeds with Donnchada. She is very responsive and helped me find my dog 2 years ago.
Thank you for additional recommendation! I've added Starlite Poodles to my list.

Regarding Donnchada - call Betty Brown at 713-305-0120. That works much better than her email! I have known Betty for 40 years or more and currently have a miniature poodle that she bred.

I checked out all the breeders you listed and they all seem reputable. I did notice that a couple of them breed parti-colored poodles. Since I am a long-time poodle person, I have a hard time accepting parti-colored poodles - I see them as mis-marks because the poodle standards of almost every country specify solid colors only.

I hope you find the poodle of your dreams and that you enjoy many years with him/her.

Best wishes!
Johanna
Thank you so much! She's honestly my top choice right now based on everything I've heard about her and just how gorgeous her line is. I'll definitely give her a call once the world gets closer to being normal again.

Getting my service dog from Figz Poodles was the best decision I have ever made. They are so so invested in matching you with the perfect puppy through temperament testing. You just tell them exactly what kind of dog you want and they will make sure you get the best possible match. Puppies come home knowing a handful of basic commands and are EXTREMELY well socialized. Tanya and Kerry care about their puppies so dearly. Once you have a FigzPoodle you are officially apart of the family and we will all be here for you anytime 😊
Thank you for your personal recommendation! I always like hearing from happy owners and I'm happy to hear that you were so satisfied with their matching system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts