Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in finding a reputable breeder for a toy/miniature poodle. Does anyone know of any good breeders in the Northeast?

I'm mainly interested in red poodles but am open to other colors. My main concern is finding a breeder that does health/genetic testing. I've done some research but many of the breeders I have found are outside this region. Typically I would be fine traveling further but with the pandemic, I can only travel by car to surrounding states (I live in NYC).

Registered
Well, here is our list of breeders by geographic location, courtesy of Rose N Poos:
A breeder that comes to mind that I have been looking into is Light N Lively. They breed mini poodles, and live in NY state.

Premium Member
Check out Rodell Toy Poodles in western Connecticut.

Reactions: MMM18 and twyla

Premium Member
I got my beautiful boy from Rod Connors of Rodell Toy Poodles
he breeders silvers, white, cream and apricot
120184002_10216788898099368_7912482224295451477_o (1).jpg

Registered
I looked at the RedTeddy web site. Can't say I would recommend them. Rodell and Light N Lively are much, much, much better breeders.

Super Moderator
Has anyone heard about RedTeddy Pups in Ancram, NY?
I'm struggling to make sense of their website, to be honest. I can't really tell what sort of business they're running.

They appear to have multiple locations, one of which is in Washington state, where I am. So I did some digging, and it looks like "RedTeddy West" (as they call it) began breeding their only dam when she was still a puppy herself. They say it was an accident.

The website also mentions a RedTeddy Pacific NW Farm (not sure if that's the same location) and a RedTeddy Ranch. Their NY location (the Ranch?) has 11 adult dogs onsite, according to a 2018 inspection by the Department of Agriculture.

Nothing inherently wrong with any of that, of course. But I would proceed carefully, requesting pedigree clarification where warranted, seeing proof of all health testing, and doing your due diligence to ensure all their poodles (adults and puppies, at all their locations) are being treated like poodles and not livestock.

Side note: Their website mentions that one of their sires is "intimidated" by larger dogs. This seems like an odd trait to mention in their marketing materials, but points for honesty, I suppose. :) I would want to know more about his temperament and also meet him, if possible. "Intimidated" to me sounds like a euphemism for reactive. His pedigree also doesn't match his description. Possibly just a website admin error?

Also be aware that RedTeddy breeds doodles (check out their Facebook page, if you've not already). This is a dealbreaker for many poodle lovers.

Did you make any progress with Rodell or Light N Lively?

Registered
Reactions: MMM18

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I'm struggling to make sense of their website, to be honest. I can't really tell what sort of business they're running.

They appear to have multiple locations, one of which is in Washington state, where I am. So I did some digging, and it looks like "RedTeddy West" (as they call it) began breeding their only dam when she was still a puppy herself. They say it was an accident.

The website also mentions a RedTeddy Pacific NW Farm (not sure if that's the same location) and a RedTeddy Ranch. Their NY location (the Ranch?) has 11 adult dogs onsite, according to a 2018 inspection by the Department of Agriculture.

Nothing inherently wrong with any of that, of course. But I would proceed carefully, requesting pedigree clarification where warranted, seeing proof of all health testing, and doing your due diligence to ensure all their poodles (adults and puppies, at all their locations) are being treated like poodles and not livestock.

Side note: Their website mentions that one of their sires is "intimidated" by larger dogs. This seems like an odd trait to mention in their marketing materials, but points for honesty, I suppose. :) I would want to know more about his temperament and also meet him, if possible. "Intimidated" to me sounds like a euphemism for reactive. His pedigree also doesn't match his description. Possibly just a website admin error?

Also be aware that RedTeddy breeds doodles (check out their Facebook page, if you've not already). This is a dealbreaker for many poodle lovers.

Did you make any progress with Rodell or Light N Lively?
Thanks. The reviews I read of the place seemed good but I'll also admit that when I saw the website it made me wonder if it was really a puppy mill. Also, I couldn't get a clear idea of the health testing they do from the site just that the dogs have AKC pedigrees, which it seems like puppy mill dogs do too.

Light N Lively only seems to have black or white poodles and at this point I'm leaning more toward a red/apricot one. However, I reached out to Rodell's and have not heard back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. It looks like DiMarnique's has red poodles. I'll have to reach out to them for more information.

Registered
The reviews I read of the place seemed good
As a general caution, testimonials or independent reviews on Google, Yelp, etc, from happy owners doesn't mean they're informed owners. I didn't even know what there is to learn, to become an informed owner, until I started my search for my fourth poodle in 2002. I'm still learning.

This is my current definition of what being informed means:
I would want to find a breeder who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety, will do the testing before breeding and will breed with care to that and future generations.
They will know the personalities of each pup in a litter, to better match families.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Any puppy or dog can be a wonderful and well loved family companion. It takes more than that to make a breeder a quality breeder.

Registered
I also completely understand having color preferences. I love the silvers, the browns, and the reds. I have a black and a cream :).

I don't know what you know about the genetics of poodle coat colors, but, what you see is not always what you end up with. Many colors, including reds, are fading colors.

This site has a lot of color information, if you're interested. There are other sites which go into the genetics of it all.
POODLE COAT COLORS: OVERVIEW OF ALL COLORS

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I also completely understand having color preferences. I love the silvers, the browns, and the reds. I have a black and a cream :).

I don't know what you know about the genetics of poodle coat colors, but, what you see is not always what you end up with. Many colors, including reds, are fading colors.

This site has a lot of color information, if you're interested. There are other sites which go into the genetics of it all.
POODLE COAT COLORS: OVERVIEW OF ALL COLORS
Thanks - I'm going to read through all of that. My last dog was a red poodle who became more of an apricot after a couple of years. At the time, the change wasn't that noticeable but looking back at photos now, it's pretty astonishing how much it changed.

Registered
I have a pup from Light n Lively, and highly recommend this breeder. Gracie is 22 months now, is smart, sweet, and eveything I was looking for....and more that I didn鈥檛 even know I wanted! Joan breeds blacks and whites. Gracie Is black but has a mismark fault (a white blaze) that disqualified her from conformation. Normally, her pups are all solid colors, Gracie was unusual. It didn鈥檛 matter to me as I wasn鈥檛 interested in conformation showing. The mismark doesn鈥檛 matter in agility.

Gracie is an incredible dog in so many ways. I am over the top thrilled with her, and with my choice of a breeder. She has a wonderful disposition, loves all dogs, kids, and people, and travels easily. Very healthy, eats anything, and has gorgeous conformation.

She is also shaping up to be quite a nice agility dog. She is fast and fearless and at just shy of two years of age, has incredible focus in the ring. She is a pleasure to train and just received her open standard title in AKC this weekend. She will compete in the Excellent level at our next trial, pretty good for not being two years old yet, and starting her career in the middle of a pandemic!

She does have a good energy level, but also a nice 鈥渙ff switch.鈥 She is quite the cuddler and very much a lap dog. Just love this little girl. And did I mention that her coat is like black velvet, so thick and soft. OK, you can probably see that I am obsessed with her! I鈥檒l stop now, lol.

I attached a few pics, happy to answer any questions.

ETA: Light n Lively is in Staten Island, just a ferry away :)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I have a pup from Light n Lively, and highly recommend this breeder. Gracie is 22 months now, is smart, sweet, and eveything I was looking for....and more that I didn鈥檛 even know I wanted! Joan breeds blacks and whites. Gracie Is black but has a mismark fault (a white blaze) that disqualified her from conformation. Normally, her pups are all solid colors, Gracie was unusual. It didn鈥檛 matter to me as I wasn鈥檛 interested in conformation showing. The mismark doesn鈥檛 matter in agility.

Gracie is an incredible dog in so many ways. I am over the top thrilled with her, and with my choice of a breeder. She has a wonderful disposition, loves all dogs, kids, and people, and travels easily. Very healthy, eats anything, and has gorgeous conformation.

She is also shaping up to be quite a nice agility dog. She is fast and fearless and at just shy of two years of age, has incredible focus in the ring. She is a pleasure to train and just received her open standard title in AKC this weekend. She will compete in the Excellent level at our next trial, pretty good for not being two years old yet, and starting her career in the middle of a pandemic!

She does have a good energy level, but also a nice 鈥渙ff switch.鈥 She is quite the cuddler and very much a lap dog. Just love this little girl. And did I mention that her coat is like black velvet, so thick and soft. OK, you can probably see that I am obsessed with her! I鈥檒l stop now, lol.

I attached a few pics, happy to answer any questions.

ETA: Light n Lively is in Staten Island, just a ferry away :)
She's adorable! Is she a miniature?

Premium Member
20200920_110715.jpg

This is Leonard a Rodell's toy
20201010_114504.jpg

Try PM ing Rod Connors via Facebook, be specific about what you are looking for, not just color but temperament and life style.
I had very specific requirements, but mine didn't have to do with sex or color but temperament and weight, an easy keeper and over 4 pounds and over 16 weeks when coming home, I work and cannot risk hypoglycemia in a puppy even though I had a dog Walker come mid day with Leonard.

Registered
She's adorable! Is she a miniature?
Yes, she is an in size miniature, 15 lbs and 13 7/8 inches at the withers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone heard of Lujans Poodles on Long Island?

I've called several of the above breeders but haven't heard back from many of them. I'm hearing they have all been swamped with calls/emails of people inquiring about puppies. So, I'm trying to find more places to reach out to.

Premium Member
I am from Long Island and have never heard of Lujan's. I don't think I have ever seen one of their pups either and I show in companion sports and teach obedience classes here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts