Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My miniature female recently passed away with kidney disease. She was only five years old and always a beautiful happy friendly wonderful gem who was our constant companion. We have a huge hole in our hearts and would like to find a puppy soon. I have contacted several breeders but have had no luck in finding any pups at this time. We hope to find someone in the New England, NJ, NY area who plans to breed in the near future. Color is no object, we just want a healthy pup to love and nurture. Thank you for any advice or suggestion.

Premium Member
Hi and Welcome tho I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Until some other active members drop by with recommendations, I'll drop a link to a Breeder List which includes some additional resources, as a starting point. You'll find a partial list of breeders there, collected from threads here on PF, along with some additional resources.

There's health testing information and links in the list, then when you move to the breeder listings don't skip the multi state listings, and particularly don't skip the Poodle Club of America Breeder Referral for your region or search "Poodle Club of (your city/state)". The Poodle Clubs are excellent resources.

Conscientious breeders have a waitlist at the best of times and with pandemic puppy seekers, that wait is stretched well into 2021. There have been more than a few serendipitous contacts between seeker and breeder, so don't be put off by the thought of a waitlist. Also, don't be put off if online sites aren't particularly updated.
Be prepared to spend in the range of $1500 to up to $3000 USD. Conscientious breeders are not padding pricing due to Covid.
Be prepared to travel outside your area for the right breeder.

Not knowing your experience in selecting a quality, conscientious breeder I'm adding this abbreviated checklist too.

My criteria need not be yours but I think it's important to know why they matter in choosing a conscientious breeder, and to get a well bred puppy to share life with.

Every one of these is a talking point a conscientious breeder will welcome, just not all at the same time :).

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They prove their dogs meet breed standards and are physically capable by breeding from sires and dams proven in competition.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Welcome tho I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Until some other active members drop by with recommendations, I'll drop a link to a Breeder List which includes some additional resources, as a starting point. You'll find a partial list of breeders there, collected from threads here on PF, along with some additional resources.

There's health testing information and links in the list, then when you move to the breeder listings don't skip the multi state listings, and particularly don't skip the Poodle Club of America Breeder Referral for your region or search "Poodle Club of (your city/state)". The Poodle Clubs are excellent resources.

Conscientious breeders have a waitlist at the best of times and with pandemic puppy seekers, that wait is stretched well into 2021. There have been more than a few serendipitous contacts between seeker and breeder, so don't be put off by the thought of a waitlist. Also, don't be put off if online sites aren't particularly updated.
Be prepared to spend in the range of $1500 to up to $3000 USD. Conscientious breeders are not padding pricing due to Covid.
Be prepared to travel outside your area for the right breeder.

Not knowing your experience in selecting a quality, conscientious breeder I'm adding this abbreviated checklist too.

My criteria need not be yours but I think it's important to know why they matter in choosing a conscientious breeder, and to get a well bred puppy to share life with.

Every one of these is a talking point a conscientious breeder will welcome, just not all at the same time :).

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They prove their dogs meet breed standards and are physically capable by breeding from sires and dams proven in competition.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. We are prepared to pay the going rate for a healthy pup from a conscientious breeder. We do extensive research before contacting a breeder. While we miss having a dog now we know it's worth the long wait to have a healthy pupoy. We are still suffering and wondering why our dear girl developed kidney disease at such a young age and can only assume it was congenital even though she came from a conscientious reputable breeder. She was a gorgeous healthy looking girl with no prior health issues. Thanks to all for any further information.

Premium Member
I'm sorry for your loss. Five is far too young.

@lily cd re is in your area and often has suggestions on where to look. Even if these breeders don't have puppies available, they may know of other breeders who do.

Premium Member
Since Liz mentioned me, yes I do have a suggestion for you in the form of Eriand Poodles on Long Island. My mom's mpoo is an Eriand boy bred by the mother of the current owner. Also Getty Ready's pup is an Eriand pup. A friend who is a private trainer has worked with several Eriand dogs and always says they are very nice pups with nice personalities. Another friend has had a number of Eriand pups over several generations of family pets.

Reactions: Liz

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Since Liz mentioned me, yes I do have a suggestion for you in the form of Eriand Poodles on Long Island. My mom's mpoo is an Eriand boy bred by the mother of the current owner. Also Getty Ready's pup is an Eriand pup. A friend who is a private trainer has worked with several Eriand dogs and always says they are very nice pups with nice personalities. Another friend has had a number of Eriand pups over several generations of family pets.
Thank you. So nice of you to respond. I will definitely contact Eriand.

Registered
Eriand is a good suggestion. I'll also add Light N Lively as another place to look at. We have a member here with one of her dogs, very lovely.

Also Leslie Newing of Randomwind Poodles is a breeder of merit and a very good breeder referral contact for New England area. See her website here: Home

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Eriand is a good suggestion. I'll also add Light N Lively as another place to look at. We have a member here with one of her dogs, very lovely.

Also Leslie Newing of Randomwind Poodles is a breeder of merit and a very good breeder referral contact for New England area. See her website here: Home
Thank you. I appreciate your help so much. I just wrote to Randomwind. Yesterday I contacted Light n' Lively but she has a long waiting list for the next breeding. I'm getting discouraged but will keep trying. All suggestions appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I appreciate your help so much. I just wrote to Randomwind. Yesterday I contacted Light n' Lively but she has a long waiting list for the next breeding. I'm getting discouraged but will keep trying. All suggestions appreciated.
Also wrote to Eriand. I know it's a busy time for everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts