Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a performance prospect SPoo. I know that most breeders have waitlists but if any ody hears of anything, let me know.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
Well, where are you located? And how far are you willing to travel? Are you willing to have a puppy shipped (I personally am not)? What sport(s) are you interested in?

BTW I don't necessarily think you have to look specifically for a performance dog, but rather a dog from health tested lines and with good conformation and temperament. If the breeder shows in conformation then you are likely to get that in a puppy from them since they will have health tested and showing in conformation means the dogs are well built and have confident stable personalities.

If you are on FB there is a group for people looking for or with performance prospect puppies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abig problem is that there are no breeders closeby. It’s a problem because my adult daughter, who has no kids, and I are going to be training the dog and doing agility. She has had a condition all of her life that waxes and wanes and there are periods of time, when she cannot take a long drive. Breeders want the owners to pick the dogs up in person. We have been put off by a lot of breeders for this reason. My daughter has had dogs all her life and they all lived into old age. She has this handicap that comes and goes and she cannot control it but she is being discriminatee agianst because of it.
We have to apply for the dog together. My wife and I won’t get a dog on our own because of our age. That is, we’re under 70 but seniors, so if we apply for the sake of meeting the breeder in person, we probably will get turned down anyway.
So, I’m not sure how to answer your question. I don’t really like the idea of shipping but it may be our only option because both of us cannot be present at pickup. .

The whole thing is very frustrating and people just don’t have the capacity to empathize and comprehend the situation.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Why can't you drive to pick up the puppy if your daughter is unable to at the time? Any good breeder would be totally understanding of a disability, as long as the dog can be cared for properly. (I have a disability that makes travel impossible at certain times, so I can empathize with your daughter.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They’re just not comfortable with the idea of not meeting her in person, if her name is on the application. I don’t know. Breeders are a breed all their own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We always tell the breeders upfront but most people have never heard of her disorder and I think that makes them uneasy.
This is not just Poodles. We looked at Silkens too, on the recommendation of a friend That was actually a while ago. They had the same policy but it didn’t matter then because it was a period when we inquired just in case but it didn’t matter. My neighbor told me a similar story. His wife was out of town for a funeral and the breeder woudn’y give him the dog. We were contemplating some major renovations on our house. We had somebody out today, who found things we didn’t know needed attention, so we’ll pick up our search when the work’s done.
I guess this is pretty common but I didn’t think of it ‘til I thought about the Silkens.
No, it’s Rene. She has a certain form of an autonomic disorder.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What about just saying you are looking for a "family" dog and not mentioning Rene's disability? It's ridiculous if the breeder makes the whole family come to pick up the puppy. When I picked Frosty up, there were plenty of spouses making the trip for the family.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a possibility. Was wondering who Whispwrwind is. I see that name quite a bit. I’m a Poodle newbie, so pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're in Lancaster, PA but I don't mind traveling, by car or plane. I won't go all the way to the West Coast. Wht is the name of the fb group?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I tried to quit the forum but since it's not actually possible and I'm really bored, I had to respond and commiserate. I read Jems other posts, as well and I've had similar issues. I gave up for a while, then started looking again, and I guess I'm back in the giving up stage again. This happened to me a LOT when looking for a Mini, before I decided on a Standard. It's also happneed with Standards afterward. It reallly puts you on an emotinal roller coaster. C'est la vie.
I guess I get put off about the entire breed when things don't work out, which is, to date, 100% of the time. It just never seems to all come together. When i got my last dog, it was too easy. He ended up not being the best match for me as far as temperament and the breeder was really pushing him on me, as if I didn't know any better, which I didn't, saying he had a lot of "attitude" and that he'd be a good show prospect, when his markings were in the wrong places. I should have known, when I heard her husband correcting her all the time. I didn't know anything about temperament testing or puppy matching then.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
My wife and I won’t get a dog on our own because of our age. That is, we’re under 70 but seniors, so if we apply for the sake of meeting the breeder in person, we probably will get turned down anyway.
Jems, my DH and I are seniors and we got a dog. I had trouble getting breeders to return my email and phone calls - but that wasn't because of my age - they didn't know my age.

There seems to be an explosion of puppies at my dog training club - most of the owners are seniors and most of those puppies were pure bred. These people didn't seem to have trouble because of age.

I mention this because, while there may be some breeders that will refuse to sell to you because of age, I don't think you should expect most breeders.

DH and I did go pick up our dog, but there was no requirement that both of us had to be there. Again, I don't think all breeders require this.

It took me several months to find my dog - just keep looking and you'll find your baby.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
That’s a possibility. Was wondering who Whispwrwind is. I see that name quite a bit. I’m a Poodle newbie, so pardon my ignorance.
Whisperwind is a well-known breeder, and one of the spoos who made me fall in love with the breed was CH Whisperwind's On a Carousel who won at Westminster in the early '90s. I believe both of my dogs are distantly related to "Peter."

We're in Lancaster, PA but I don't mind traveling, by car or plane. I won't go all the way to the West Coast. Wht is the name of the fb group?
I think the FB group you are thinking of, which MollyMuiMa often recommends, is called "Litters from Health Tested Poodles."

There seems to be an explosion of puppies at my dog training club - most of the owners are seniors and most of those puppies were pure bred. These people didn't seem to have trouble because of age.
Almost everyone at my training club and most who compete at trials are older adults or seniors. Most people who have spoos are seniors because they have the time and money these dogs require. There is no way you'll be discriminated against for being a senior when buying a poodle (at least 99% of the time, I would imagine).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
There’s a FB Page called:
Poodle Prospects for Performance Sports.

The page is designed for people looking for a poodle puppy for performance. It is a closed group, meaning you have to send a request to join, but they just ask a few questions, no big deal.

There’s also a page called:
Litters from Health Tested Poodles

Also a good resource. While not specific to performance, as was mentioned before, a healthy poodle with good conformation will more than likely be well suited for agility.

I also see many seniors with puppies in agility, you just have to have a plan should the puppy outlive you, but it sounds like you already do.

Good luck in your search!

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
Well to me it sounds like you may be making things more complicated than they need to be. That said, I am not sure what you think of as close since I know there are good spoo breeders in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. The FB group is a closed group, so you will have to ask to be allowed to join, but it is called Poodle Prospects for Performance Sports.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You don't necessarily need to get a performance prospect puppy from a breeder that breeds only for performance. Neither of my dogs came from a breeder that bred primarily for performance and they both have upper level titles in multiple performance venues. However, they did come from a breeder who bred for correct confirmation (which is every bit as important, if not more for performance dogs), titled her dogs in the breed ring and does all applicable health testing, as well as temperament testing on her litters so she can place each puppy in the appropriate home.

You also need to ask yourself how serious you want to be performance wise when considering your puppy. You say you are seniors and your daughter who will co-own/train the dog with you has some health issues that can prohibit travel during certain times. Do you intend to just train the dog in agility to have some fun? Or do you intend to seriously train and compete for titles? Because I can tell you from experience, serious competition often involves a fair amount of traveling and long days at trials. If your daughter is not comfortable/able to make a trip just to pick up the puppy consider if she will be able to travel if you want to to compete on a regular basis.

How serious you want to be performance wise will also influence the type of puppy you need and you should be very honest with yourself here. If you want to dabble in agility as a hobby v. compete, you may not be happy with the high drive and energy of a puppy earmarked as a serious performance puppy.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
Eclipse brought up some good points. As I had said earlier it isn't so important to look for a dog that is specifically a performance prospect but rather a soundly built dog with a suitable personality, but Eclipse also raised concerns regarding age/health/ability to travel issues that need to be considered. I am not young (not old either), but travel on the road is no big deal to me. I've taken my poodles to Georgia without batting an eye about it. If you can't or your daughter is not going to be able to travel to agility trials then you don't want a dog that is highly driven for agility. Rather than sitting nicely on the sofa such a dog is likely to eat the sofa. Both Eclipse and I have high drive, performance poodles and we make them work consistently. That keeps them from eating the sofa when we aren't home. I don't know Eclipse's travel schedule, but suspect she probably is at trials close to home or out on the road at least two weekends every month. That is roughly my schedule too. I spent hours both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend at local trials. In a few minutes I will be leaving for my club where I have an hour of training time rented. Next week we have an hour rented somewhere else on Long Island. September 13-16 Javelin and I will be at a workshop in New Jersey. September 22-23 we will be at a workshop in Albany and the last weekend of September we have two days of trials here on Long Island. That is the kind of schedule serious performance work asks for.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I have to agree with the not discriminated at for age. I am 67 and had n o problem at all. My neighbor is also a senior and she too has a st. poodle..no problem...in fact she is about to get #2.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
When I was driving down to my club for my ring rental I was passed by a Ferrari which gave a thought by way of analogy here.

If one wants a fast performance car one can buy a Ferrari and sell it a year or so later when one decides it is more car than they need. The only harm is whatever monetary loss they might experience based on the depreciation in value. The new owner will love their Ferrari and not worry about hidden problems since they will have a mechanic check it over. If one desires a popular dog breed or a particular types of dog withing a breed and then finds after a year that they can't handle it re-homing of a dog is not nearly so simple an issue. The car doesn't care who owns it, but the dog sure does. It will experience sadness and uncertainty if the original owners decide they are in over their heads.

I also don't get this idea that has been floated about recently by a number of people who think breeders are discriminating against them based on age or that breeders have some sort of black list that they circulate among themselves. I have several friends who are breeders (CKCS, border collies, golden retrievers and poodles). They all have particular expectations about housing, ability to provide appropriate health care and grooming and such. My friend who breeds CKCS generally wants her puppies to go to performance homes, but when she does sell a pup as a pet she does require the family to at least get a CGC with the pup, so she is looking for very particular things. That said none of the people I know who breeds is part of a cabal with other people breeding the same types of dogs to blacklist people or prevent people who are well suited to the breed from getting a puppy (even if not from them).

·
Registered
912 Posts
What is your search area for breeders? Maybe we can suggest responsible breeders who health test and you can go from there.

I’m comforted that my breeder would always take my dog back if something were to happen to me. I know people who won’t bring an animal into their lives because the dog might outlive them. Shouldn’t be an issue for a senior owning a dog (my 70-something friends just brought a failed breeding dog home as a pet).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts