Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have started looking for new brands of dog food for meek. I have been feeding him grain free for the past 2 years because he is allergic to corn and it was the easiest way to pick out food.

Now with all of this talk about grain free diets being possibly linked with Canine Heart Disease, I have started keeping track of what brands offer corn free foods without excluding all grains.

I rotate his food monthly so I would like to find as many options as possible. I tend to stick to foods with a rating of 4-5 stars on www.dogfoodadvisor.com

I thought I could keep a list here to help others who are also looking for the same thing. So far, I have found the following foods that are not grain free, but do not contain corn:

- Fromm Gold
- Fromm Four Star Nutritional
- Wellness Complete
- Merrick Classic
- Kirkland Signature
- Performatrin Ultra

Orijen and Acana also have no corn but they don't really contain much grains so I did not include them in my list.

Do you have any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
You can still use 'grain free' foods as long as 'taurine' has been added to the formula...... although foods that are high meat(protien) content produce taurine that can be sufficient, it is taurine that is the preventative for DCM that is missing but is found in most meats.
You can even buy Taurine as a supplement! (Taurine is an Amino Acid found in meats)

Here are some 5 Star grain free foods with no corn but do have added Taurine;

Brother's Complete
Dr Tim's
Earthborn Primitive

and if you want grain (no corn);

Farmina Ancestral Grain (also has added Taurine)

P.S. The easiest way to provide taurine in your dog's diet is to feed him a can of sardines once a week!

·
Registered
47 Posts
dogfood with grain

we feed Victor with grain to our Lab and she is doing great on it. Our trainer asked what we were feeding because her coat shines. Private company owned from Texas.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Blue Buffalo is corn free. Grains are not inherently evil BTW. But some dogs will not tolerate some grains. I have one who is intolerant for corn and two others who shouldn't have oats. They all can (and do) eat whole grain wheat pasta though.

Reactions: spicandspan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts