Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for spaying. Are there any hidden registries of vets with this certification, or am I just to go down the list in the "yellow pages?" I started with our vet, who does not use them. I don't want to insult her by asking if she knows anyone who does, b/c I do like her.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'm not sure how you'd find out except by calling each one... I know most of the vets who have lasers here in my town, but it's just because of word of mouth... I don't think there's any "list" or anything... Good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks anyway. I don't like the 'tude they're giving me. "LASER for a blahblah hysterectomy? No." Like I'm an idiot for asking.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
They have got to be around. We live in the boondocks (seven miles from the closest town) and this is farm country. In our dinky little town of 4,100 people, there is a city quality vet that does tons of laser surgery. (She also charges city prices so isnt usually very busy). So I am sure you will find one.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
the only vet I'm allowed to use in our area doesn't have the laser v.v;
((the whole refusing to treat our dying Chow Chow really struck my mom so I'm not allowed to go to like 5 or 6 vets))

I know that its a faster healing time right...but is there any other medical reasons that I should consider going out of my way to find a vet that uses the laser?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well, surgical lasers are super expensive, I know we'd get one if we could afford it...but we sure can't!

Then again maybe we could have if my doctor hadn't bought himself a new sports car this year... :p

But anyway, the best way to find out is to call around. Maybe people sound mad about it because they wish they had one.
I always say 'No, unfortunately we don't...'

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'm sure laser surgery has improved loads in the last 10ish years. When I was involved with the humane society here, a local vet brought in the first laser for surgery and offered to spay/neuter and declaw (for free) a litter of 6 month old kittens that were left at his clinic if we'd then take them and find them homes. I guess he wanted to "practice" with his new toy... Anyway, every single one of those cats got some sort of infection (either at their sterilization site or on their paws) We weren't totally "sold" on the whole laser thing after that...

But as I mentioned that was about 10 years ago and I'm sure things had to have improved since then. Also, about 1/2 the vets in our area now have lasers. Some do not give clients a choice - it's laser or nothing; others say you can choose either traditional or laser (but the laser is hugely more expensive than the traditional way)

Good luck with your search!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts