Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Jolie and I am from the suburbs of Chicago. I am looking for a breeder in the midwest area so that my family and I can get a puppy. I was referred by another member.

Jolie

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome! Can you give a bit more information on what type of poodle you're looking for? Size, colour, anything else that can help narrow it down for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what we are looking for in a poodle

We are looking for a standard poodle, preferably apricot or red in color but we would also consider brown or cream. We are most likely going to go with a male - but first and foremost, the dog must be sweet and loving. Preferably a breeder in the midwest so we can drive to get the dog. Any referrals would be must appreciated!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
There are several Standard breeders on here who breed the colours you like. I am sure you will get referrals. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck in your search for your new family member!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've got to say that I love my 2 red heads that I got from Arreau. They are sure a loving and sweet pair of poodles. I've been very blessed to be able to deal with Arreau who has become a good friend as well. She's been there to listen to all my puppy stories and moan through all their mischief and give me good advice as well. I think she is one of the very few people that never seems to get tired of hearing about them. So its been a double blessing to have been able to own a pair of her poodles. Not only do I have my girls who my whole family is crazy about but I have a wonderful friend as well.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I've got to say that I love my 2 red heads that I got from Arreau. They are sure a loving and sweet pair of poodles. I've been very blessed to be able to deal with Arreau who has become a good friend as well. She's been there to listen to all my puppy stories and moan through all their mischief and give me good advice as well. I think she is one of the very few people that never seems to get tired of hearing about them. So its been a double blessing to have been able to own a pair of her poodles. Not only do I have my girls who my whole family is crazy about but I have a wonderful friend as well.
And it better be forever!!! Just kidding! Thanks Trillium!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome. Glad you made it over here.

My best advice to you is to take a deep breath and slow down. You are going to have this dog for many, many years (hopefully) and you deserve to get a pet with correct type, good structure, excellent temperament and the very best possibilities for lifelong health. Finding the right dog takes time and a good deal of leg work, but it is all worth it in the end.

Brown, Apricot and Red are tough. They tend to be "rarer" colors so they are a bit harder to find. They tend to cost more, so get ready for that sticker shock. Finally, too many people who breed these colors are BYBs or puppy mills. You are really going to need to go into this process with your head and not so much your heart.

I would start here:

Apricot Red Poodle Club - Red Apricot Poodle Club

and see if you can't get some help finding a breeder in your area.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I would start here:

Apricot Red Poodle Club - Red Apricot Poodle Club

and see if you can't get some help finding a breeder in your area.
Just a (small) caveat here, too... I also contacted this club when I was doing my standard poodle search last year and ended up speaking with a woman who did her darndest to turn me "off" of wanting a red standard... all she could do was talk about how inferior they were in every way... I know that the reds aren't as well established conformationally as many of the other colors, but I was looking first and foremost for a pet puppy, and I've been more than happy with Lucy's looks and abilities. If I would've allowed that woman to steer me away from the reds, I wouldn't be sharing my life and home with my sweet Lucy!

Hopefully, if you contact this club you won't end up speaking with the same person I did (and I'm sorry I don't remember her name, just that I didn't feel really good about red poodles when I was done speaking with her!)

Good luck with your search and make sure to let us know if/when you find what you're looking for (because we'll insist on pictures!) :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi and good luck. Listen to what people say but facts and opinions are diff. things. A good breeder will ask lots of questions and try to help you, if they don't feel they have what you want they will tell you, and try to recommend a diff. breeder. A bad breeder will try to talk you into whatever they have available. Try to keep yourself open to variables and listen to your heart, you may find the pup meant for you is diff. from what you think you want.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You will hear all kinds of things about many different breeders. Weigh these things, talk to people who have bought a pup from a specific breeder, verify that any breeder you speak with tests their breeding dogs, check the health in the backgrounds of the mother and father as best as you can, and follow your heart. If someone makes you uncomfortable, remove them from your list of possibles. If someone answers your questions, treats you well, tests their dogs, you like the look of their dogs, and you don't feel their asking price is exorbidant, then keep communicating with them and see where you go from there.

You will find in this business that people will and do talk bad about another breeder just because. They may not like them on a personal level but that is not a reason to let them deter you from buying your heart puppy. Once you find the dog of your dreams, I think the best way to know if this breeder is someone you want to have a relationship with (and you will want to have a relationship with your breeder for a very long time) is to speak to former buyers and see what their experience has been like.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I agree with everything they've said
I wish I had been a member of the forum before I started my poodle hunt last summer
well...I ALMOST wish I were a member if I were I wouldn't have ever gotten Elphie and then where would I be?!?!

I piece of advice is stay far away from the BYB's and the puppymills they're all just a bunch of liars who want money ((and they usually get it v.v; at the cost of their dogs health))

·
Registered
63 Posts
On another thread, someone recommended that I ask groomers for their poodle breeder recommendations. It was a good suggestion, and I got a few recommendations for my area (Southeast MI). Send me a Private Message if you want the breeder names for this area that I've had recommended to me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hello!

My name is Jolie and I am from the suburbs of Chicago. I am looking for a breeder in the midwest area so that my family and I can get a puppy. I was referred by another member.

Jolie
Since location is important I would look at all the colors. Personally, I would contact Avalon; Avalon Standard Poodles Mary and her husband are both practicing Veterinarians and do complete health testing. They also have many home bred Champions. They belong to the Greater Milwaukee Poodle Club; Greater Milwaukee Poodle Club

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Sorry...not trying to sound like a witch here, but there are two members of the Apricot and red Poodle club who have come up on this forum time and time again as "commercial breeders", "high volume breeders" or "bad breeders". Just because someone belongs to a club, this does not make them a good breeder, an ethical breeder, or someone you would want to deal with.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Agreed, but the Apricot and Red poodle club is a good place to start. The very best course of action is to become an educated buyer.

1. Know what constitutes correct temperament, structure and type.
2. Know what constitutes best breeding practices in our breed.
3. Understand what testing is needed and how to interpret testing results.
4. Make use of resources available on the Internet.

In this way you can make good decisions for yourself.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sorry...not trying to sound like a witch here, but there are two members of the Apricot and red Poodle club who have come up on this forum time and time again as "commercial breeders", "high volume breeders" or "bad breeders". Just because someone belongs to a club, this does not make them a good breeder, an ethical breeder, or someone you would want to deal with.
This is not the thread to bring up any other breeders not in this person's local area that they want to search for a poodle from.

These "clubs" have every right to expel anyone whom they deem as unfit. However, if the "club" feels they have met the ethical requirements dictated by that club in their by-laws, whom are you to judge?

Jolie, As I said previously please contact your local AKC and Poodle Clubs, it is a great way to begin your search for that "right" family member be it in any color or size you desire.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
This is not the thread to bring up any other breeders not in this person's local area that they want to search for a poodle from.

These "clubs" have every right to expel anyone whom they deem as unfit. However, if the "club" feels they have met the ethical requirements dictated by that club in their by-laws, whom are you to judge?

Jolie, As I said previously please contact your local AKC and Poodle Clubs, it is a great way to begin your search for that "right" family member be it in any color or size you desire.
Thank you for your advice, but I did not bring up any other breeders specifically. Most of the clubs need funds so welcome new members without looking into them, so one has no idea who these members are, what their ethics are, or anything else, just that they are members of a club. It would be a shame if the only breeders who sold puppies were members of the various clubs, because from what I have seen, most of the clubs have at least some members that I would not touch with a ten foot pole!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No you did not bring them up specifically, but you continue to insinuate them in many threads.

As for the Apricot Red Poodle Club, they are thorough in reviewing applicants and the required two members that are references for the Applicant. The references are interviewed as to the Applicants breeding practices and ethics.

Hint, If you want to change something, you have to become a part of it to influence the change. Action speaks louder then words.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts