Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My fiance and I are looking for a poodle, we're pretty set on the breed. We live in an apartment so a typical standard is a bit too big, but I ideally prefer the size and temperament of the standards so I really think a moyen is a perfect compromise for us. We both absolutely love miniature poodles too and are absolutely open to the possibility of getting one.

Right now I'm just looking for a reputable breeder. With the fact that moyens aren't recognized by the AKC, are less popular and given that they have so many pseudonyms, it's been hard to get quality results from typical Google searches. I'd prefer the breeder run DNA tests in addition to health tests on the parents and aren't doing gimmicky or borderline unethical things like breeding merles. I'd be willing go with any breeder that's within a day's drive of Southern California.

Any help or guidance I could get would be highly appreciated!

Registered
Hi and Welcome!

Directing you to a Breeder List being compiled from recommendations of PF members thru the years. You'll find it helpful to review the Resources, esp health, and once you get to the List, take time to find your local Poodle Clubs for their referral person or internal list, and look thru the multi state listings too, since I'm not deliberately duplicating the names.

There are a very few breeders that are importing Medium poodles from Countries where they are a recognized size, but you'll have more options by looking for the mini at the top end of the scale (15") or those who eventually go oversize (the breeders can tell you how often it happens in their lines) or the breeders with smaller standards, 20-21" typically, and usually finishing under 40lbs (I think).

Registered
A large miniature, small standard and moyen are three different things. Miniatures and standards have different energy levels and bone structure and moyens, well, moyens there are close to none in North America.

I think you need to research if you want a standard or miniature before looking for a breeder.

Registered
Small standards and oversize minis are moyen size, but they have very different personalities. Most standard poodles are more easy-going and less active than most miniatures. Certainly there is great variation in temperament. If you buy from a reputable breeder, that person should have a pretty good idea about a puppy's adult behavior.

Lucky for you, there are many very, very good poodle breeders in California!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts