Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spoo is almost 9 months old but I thought I should start looking now. I can't seem to find a rigid handle on a harness that won't collapse if I momentarily put a bit of my weight on it. Trust me I'm tiny. Less that 100#s and my pups sire and dam are both well over extra large at adult hood so I'm sure shell be able to handle it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
I have no personal experience with this company, but this harness looks promising although expensive. Mobility Support Harness™ for brace and balance stability assistance - Bold Lead Designs
Custom made may be the way to go. I've seen horses go down when the shifting weight of a rider unbalanced the animal. A poodle isn't nearly as strong and heavy as a horse, so your spoo will need good fit and weight distribution. I like the way the harness above centers the weight on the withers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have you tried looking up tactical harnesses? I have one made by One Tigris that I really love. It’s the Gladiator Support Harness. It has two handles which is specifically for dog support but it is a very nice all around harness too. It fits Bobby very well as the straps are narrow enough to fit well between his front legs. It has a front and back leash attachment and it is very sturdy. I researched big time as I wanted a sturdier harness but one that was appropriate for Bobby’s poodle body. Some are too wide, too heavy, or they hit the chest area wrong. I have been very pleased with this. I don‘t use it all the time but in certain situations or when I want him to carry stuff it’s great! There are other styles too but I just felt this one would work best.
Because it’s a tactical harness I can attach things to it. I don’t use it often but when I do, I love it. This type of harness probably wouldn’t be appropriate for a show coat or a long coat as it is a fuller harness but if you more concerned about support and control, check them out. I do think it would work better with a shorter coat though. Amazon has many Tactical harnesses. The handles on most of them do seem to be more sturdy. I have two harnesses, one from the petstore, which isn’t so heavy duty and while it has a handle, it definitely isn’t rigid.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have no personal experience with this company, but this harness looks promising although expensive. Mobility Support Harness™ for brace and balance stability assistance - Bold Lead Designs
Custom made may be the way to go. I've seen horses go down when the shifting weight of a rider unbalanced the animal. A poodle isn't nearly as strong and heavy as a horse, so your spoo will need good fit and weight distribution. I like the way the harness above centers the weight on the withers.
What a beautiful harness! I’m thinking this is way better and more appropriate than what I shared.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are beautiful. Thank you for the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts